The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
jdougla9

Rear fender install

Hey guys I tried to do a search here but it isnt working for whatever reason. I am getting ready to install a 4 link in the rear of my 1952 chevy truck and need more tire clearence in the rear. I was going to cut the bedsides out and install trailer fenders to give me wheeltubs. I am a complete novice when it comes to sheetmetal and bodywork so I was wondering how I should attach them to the bedsides? I hear people say welding tubs to quarter panels will distort the quarter panel whenever I hit the gas due to the flexing involved. Should I just use seam sealer to attach to the bedside? Any help, photos would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you all
jdougla9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
lazypineapple

Re: Rear fender install

you could cut an 1.5" wide arch out of sheet metal. Weld it to the underside of the tub, then bolt or weld it to the bed side, that would hide the attachment to the bedside.
then make a lip an 1" or so to attach to the bed floor, close up the inside of the tub with a 1/2 round sheet.

I also saw a a guy use a right fender cut down on the inside of the left for the left tub. and viseversa, if you got a set of extra rear fenders laying around
lazypineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
mr48chev

I've seen a few that used the inner wheel tubs from the fleetside pickups that bolt in and look proper when you are done. I've seen at least one set that a guy narrowed down as mini tubs that looked like they came in the truck to begin with.

The trailer fenders could be made to work easily enough and they are fairly inexpensive if you hunt around a bit. Locally the farm and ranch store has several different ones that would work.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

There are several ways to mount them, check out my thread at post #246 to see one way of doing it. Good Luck and show us some pics!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
_Ogre

i cut the bed side out with a jig saw and welded the cut out back in with 3'' wide 10ga

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
D-man313

I did the same as Ogre.^
Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
jdougla9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
There are several ways to mount them, check out my thread at post #246 to see one way of doing it. Good Luck and show us some pics!!
I really like the way yours turned out. Now you got me looking for old suburban fenders to use. I might look at the later C/10 wheel wells as well. Either way I Have enough stuff to work on this weekend with it anyways. i will try and find a few picks of the truck to pop up on here. I plan on starting a build thread for it but im kinda embarrassed after seeing some of the stuff on the forum. I have taken many 180's with the truck and went backwards almost as much as Ive gone forewards.
jdougla9 is offline   Reply With Quote