The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Is something broken off my engine?

I had noticed this before but hadn't really paid much attention. Today, after removing the carb, I marked the areas that appear to have irregular borders...like something has broken off...just look below or next to the blue tape. I guess this would be the exhaust manifold(?).

I called the PO (my dad) and he couldn't recall anything happening.

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
c10seth

Re: Is something broken off my engine?

I want to say that's where your temp sensor is suppose to be connected because mine broke and looks like that.
c10seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
geezer#99

Casting flash! From when they came out of the sand mould. It doesn't pay for the factory to smooth them out.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Is something broken off my engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I had noticed this before but hadn't really paid much attention. Today, after removing the carb, I marked the areas that appear to have irregular borders...like something has broken off...just look below or next to the blue tape. I guess this would be the exhaust manifold(?).

I called the PO (my dad) and he couldn't recall anything happening.

That left blue-tape area appears to be a rusted off choke heater tube access[Look directly behind the dark curved portion of the fuel supply line.]--maybe for a different carb, using other than the divorced choke system. Could be for a dual (you pick which) choke system; or maybe a replaced exhaust-manifold-with-heater-tube, bolted to the divorced-choke intake manifold. Really hard to tell, even from the (good) pics.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
A-Daddyo

i can see from the flash that your temp sensor next to the top left blue tape is not connected to a wire (i just replaced mine and its on the block in between the 1&3rd cyl spark plugs).... it looks as if that wire that is hanging in the picture used to be connected to it and maybe burned/broke off. you would know if your Water temp guage isnt working though.... looks like the bottom blue tape may be your motor mount. and the farthest back blue tape would be the top of your oil fillter on the block.... it is hard to tell but thats my tewo cents!

70' Stepside 4x4 Shortbed 350/350/205
A-Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Hmm....I guess it IS hard to tell what exactly is up here!

I THINK my dad might have put a different carb on it at one time and I do know he put a manual choke on it, using the cigarette lighter for the push/pull knob. He wasn't particularily fond of anything resembling pollution control so if he could, he took that off or disconnected it.

I don't have a temperature "guage" but I know that my idiot light for temperature was working in 2004, because I got the light when my thermostat went out and I immediatly pulled over and shut down. *I got a tow home with dad's S10. Oh yes, this happened on a date, I ALWAYS broke down on a date no matter what antique car/truck I was driving.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote