The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
CastleMaster

'58 Apache window rubber help please!

Hi all! I just recently picked up a '58 Apache to be used as my daily driver. I have a lot of experience building motorcycles, but this is my first 4 wheeled project. Needless to say, I am very excited. The truck runs great, but things definitely need to be done... so I have just been checking them off the list one at a time.

Anyway, I would like to replace all the window rubbers and felt this weekend. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial? The damn things I bought didn't come with any instructions.

Thanks for your help!!

CastleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: '58 Apache window rubber help please!

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the site. Do a site search (tab above) for "windshield rubber" "door seals" "window seals" and see what comes up. There is an active topic on door seals right now, and the windshield and windows get discussed on a regular basis. Also, stovebolts.com has a great tech series that probably has a tutorial too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Russell Ashley

The truck looks good. This is definitely the place for info and help on these trucks. Check out this link for help on replacing the felts in the doors.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/techar...LATION&index=0
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Daze57

good lookin 58 and welcome from sin city
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
lowrodderchev

i pulled mine out and i put the back one back in. its pretty easy just need the palm of your hand and a little pressure. i love 4 wheels but aint nothing like jumping on my 2 wheels and disappearing for a day or two wife hates it but man is it relaxing
lowrodderchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
CastleMaster

Thank you everybody for the info and kind welcomes. Russell, that Brothers step by step is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrodderchev View Post
i love 4 wheels but aint nothing like jumping on my 2 wheels and disappearing for a day or two wife hates it but man is it relaxing
I read this on my phone while at lunch today. "...wife hates it but man is it relaxing" cracked me up

Thanks again for the help guys. I'll dive into this tomorrow and post results.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
CastleMaster

Well, unfortunately I don't have any updates on the rubbers yet... I lost spark over the weekend and it took some time to figure out what caused it.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I will get to the rubbers THIS weekend!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
CastleMaster

Russell Ashley, I owe you a big thanks. I followed the steps in the Brothers link that you posted very closely, and it worked out awesome. The first door (passenger) took about 4 hours. I ran into some speedbumps, some welding involved, but in the end I was really happy with the result.

I had to wait a couple days to do the next door.

The second door (driver's) took me maaaaybe an hour and a half. Probably would have taken even less time if I had not drank some beers with my buddy half way through . Oh well, good times and good work done. Before I started this project the freeway speed wind noise with the windows UP versus the windows DOWN was the same. Now the truck is pretty damn quiet!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
CastleMaster

By the way, if anyone has any questions on this project in the future, don't hesitate to send me a PM and I will walk you though it.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleMaster View Post
Russell Ashley, I owe you a big thanks. I followed the steps in the Brothers link that you posted very closely, and it worked out awesome. The first door (passenger) took about 4 hours. I ran into some speedbumps, some welding involved, but in the end I was really happy with the result.

I had to wait a couple days to do the next door.

The second door (driver's) took me maaaaybe an hour and a half. Probably would have taken even less time if I had not drank some beers with my buddy half way through . Oh well, good times and good work done. Before I started this project the freeway speed wind noise with the windows UP versus the windows DOWN was the same. Now the truck is pretty damn quiet!
Glad it worked out good for you. Since you first posted I've replaced all of the windows and felts in my doors. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and definitely cuts down the wind noise.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote