The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
lowrodderchev

1,000 ways to raise a bed???

hey guys i've searched far and wide look on website after website but still i'm over thinking it. so i come here for advice from any truck nut willing to add 2 cents. my 57 has a step notch on her. at first i ran metal floor on the bed cut a hole for the notch and made a cover. but looking at all the trucks here is making me think of puuting in wood. so i figured i'll raise the bed floor up and run a wood floor. but ive seen so many ways people have done it. so should run a bed that has hinges to expose my frame or just run it so it dont move? and the bed L strips that attach to the bed sides do i weld them up higher so the wood can attach to them? i seen some guys just have theres sorta floating there just attached to the wood. i have extra bed braces that go across figured i could weld up a 2x2 brace from frame to the bed braces and run the wood. i would like to be able to step in the bed without it caving in. any you guys have suggestions or pix any past experience or knowledge? dam i just a wrote a novel sorry bout that thanx guys
lowrodderchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1,000 ways to raise a bed???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrodderchev View Post
hey guys i've searched far and wide look on website after website but still i'm over thinking it. so i come here for advice from any truck nut willing to add 2 cents.

my 57 has a step notch on her. at first i ran metal floor on the bed cut a hole for the notch and made a cover. but looking at all the trucks here is making me think of puuting in wood. so i figured i'll raise the bed floor up and run a wood floor. but ive seen so many ways people have done it.

so should run a bed that has hinges to expose my frame or just run it so it dont move? and the bed L strips that attach to the bed sides do i weld them up higher so the wood can attach to them? i seen some guys just have theres sorta floating there just attached to the wood. i have extra bed braces that go across figured i could weld up a 2x2 brace from frame to the bed braces and run the wood.

i would like to be able to step in the bed without it caving in. any you guys have suggestions or pix any past experience or knowledge? dam i just a wrote a novel sorry bout that thanx guys
Well, most guys who run hinged beds do so to either show off the chassis or be able to access the chassis, gas tank and or get the tires/wheels off without a hassle.

The bed floor has to clear the center section of the axle when the bags (if you have bags) are aired all the way out and the truck is sitting as low as it will go. If you don't have a hump built in the frame over the rear axle area and just have the notches you could build a framework to hold the bed up higher than the axle as you mentioned before and then run some mini tubs to clear the notches and other things that need cleared if that works out.

I've seen the bed floors done in all flavors, someone on here has the floor rigged so it raises up and the bed sides stay static, Somewhere there is a truck with a raised bed that has a drawer or drawers that slide out that are hidden by the tailgate when it's closed. The owner keeps his tools and cleaning supplies and other stuff in the drawers and no one has a clue they are there. Another truck has the gas tank raised up higher and a short storage area behind the gas tank for tools and cleaning supplies. The ideas are endless.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
lowrodderchev

I like the storage idea I have notches with a bridge between them it would have to be raised im not looking to show off my chassis I may just leave the hinges out of it now I just need to figure out the L braces that are on the bedsides
Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
lowrodderchev

Angle strips that's what there called peices that are tacked on the besides
Old 08-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Speedbumpauto

Here's raising the bed 2" to clear fuel tank and suspension. You can use the same idea to go more by adjusting the angle strips+ front and rear spacers. I ordered my bed sides from Mar K without angle strips and plug welded them in at the ht. I needed. You can buy new ones from them and just leave your old ones there as they can't be seen after the floor is installed. I used pieces of 2x2 tubing as my frame spacers, welded on and studded my cross sills so I could put a nut inside the tubing to hold the bed on. See them on the frame pic.(3 on each side) I used a piece of 1x2 tubing in the bed inside front and drilled the holes up from the orig. bed front angle so longer bolts would bolt the wood just like stock. I needed a new rear cross sill so got it and used the good part of the old one(top side with the bolt holes) and made a 2 inch spacer for the rear of the bed and welded it to the new cross sill. Has a nice factory curve so it doesn't look too bad with the tailgate open and hidden with it closed. I used the new front and rear hts. to compute the angle strip ht. and welded them in. It looks pretty much stock other than the tubs.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
46deluxe

Great way to do it Speedbumpauto.
46deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
lowrodderchev

Yeah that does look really good
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
_Ogre

i used 1.25x1.25x.125 angle on my bed sides. lot less $ than the angle strips.
plug welded thru the bed side

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
lowrodderchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i used 1.25x1.25x.125 angle on my bed sides. lot less $ than the angle strips.
plug welded thru the bed side

plug welded thru bedside? inside the bed assuming

Last edited by lowrodderchev; 08-24-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: answer was there
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
_Ogre

1/4'' holes drilled into the bed sides and plug welded to the angle iron
you can see all the plug welds in the bed side here

Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
lowrodderchev

so i was working in the garage last night drinking a cold one and i came up with a idea thought i would get your guys opinion. i thought what if i didnt raise my bed floor but instead ran my wood for my bed front/back up to my c notch then installed a cover for my c-notch and either uphoster it in a tuck and roll(like front seat) or paint it the color of the truck. what do you guys think i know opinions vary but still would like your insite.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
dubie

that's the way I would do it. Then you're not playing around with the height of your angle iron or the factory bed support locations. I plan on welding in some new angle iron for a front and rear section to my bed floor and then build a cover piece over the notch

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
lowrodderchev

yeah thats part of it welding in new angle strips plus building a support to raise the wood. this is a easier way and i will still have bed room. the pic is what i have now but id rather have wood. bed wood that is wait still dont sound right Name:  user55219_pic436917_1357171750.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  user55219_pic436916_1357171750.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
ghettoluxury

I have never been a fan of the raised notch section. When the time comes I will raise the entire floor so there is a nice flat bed floor all the way across. Even if it makes the bed only 6 inches deep it is still a usable bed that all trucks should have.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
butchp

In one of the two truck mags in the last few months ran an article on a Ford and a Chevy with how they would raise the bed floor(wood).
butchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
_Ogre

tuck and roll in your bed?
you southern cal guys can get away with thing we could never do here.

i like a full depth bed with the cover idea, though i would use what ever your covering the bed in and bed strips
i've seen beds so shallow that you couldn't carry a cooler in back
also makes for a goofy transition in the tailgate area

no mini tubs?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
lowrodderchev

No tubs necessary for my truck I wanna do the wood and strips just shorten them to clear the notch figure paint the cover the color of the truck and have some snaps for a tuck roll cover
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
lowrodderchev

ok I'm reviving my thread I have ran into a new problem. I decided on raising my bed up was going to lose only 7 inches of height. well I decide to run the wood flush against the bedside to that in the future I could have the option of installing floor that lifts to get to my bags. but yesterday I notice that my bedsides are a little bowed anyone know if I can straighten them somehow or should I just run some angle iron to get it to be flat. hate it when obstacles like this happen and seems like its happening more the closer I get to being done LOLName:  side view.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 10-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
ghettoluxury

I would weld it to a piece of angle iron or square tubing and call it good.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote