The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
BOXER957

Mounts, motor and trans.?

I have a 66 c10 I removed the original 6cyl. 3spd. manual. I am using the original front crossmember. Can I use the original motor mount support brackets? If so what motor mounts do I need for a 350? Next: the original 2nd crossmember, keep or remove? Anyone know what would be the best aftermarket trans. mount (drop) etc. for the 350 with a 700r4 and where to get it? I may be 90 by the time this thing fries the tires for the first time, but that will make it so much more fun As usual any and all help is Mucho appreciated! First time doing an earl 60's and Im'a learnin a lot. Seemed like a good idea at the time, now.....
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
MARTYZ

Re: Mounts, motor and trans.?

You can use the original mounts, I used motor mounts and transmission cross member from 72 c10,this will move engine forward but allows the use of one piece drive shaft from newer short or long bed. i used shaft from 83 standard cab long bed fit perfect. 327 with 700r
Posted via Mobile Device
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The 6cyl motor mount brackets are the same as for the V8's, as well as the motor mounts themselves. You just don't need the brackets that go from the motor mounts to the block on the 6cyl. I always recommend removing the bellhousing crossmember when converting to an auto trans. As for a trans crossmember, you can use a factory auto or 3 speed trans crossmember from a '63-'87 truck, Suburban, etc. You'll just have to drill the mounting holes. Of course you'll have to do that with an aftermarket crossmember as well.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
padresag

except if your I6 is a 292 then the pass side perch is different. I do have a stock 66 a/t crossmember
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
BOXER957

Don't know what the motor I took out is, I live in Ma. The cape no less...finding a donor vehicle around here at a scrapyard just doesn't happen. Unfortunately anything 10 yrs old or older goes straight to the crusher. That's why I was asking about aftermarket, how much drop if anyone knows. I'll get the#'s off the motor and id it, the way this build is going I most likely have the one motor that will mean special motor mounts. Thanks to all!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
da_bears_da1

I used the CPP trans cross member on my TH400 with a 350. Here is a picture of the cross member.

Name:  DSC_0171small.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  104.2 KB

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
luvbowties

Wink Re: Mounts, motor and trans.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXER957 View Post
Don't know what the motor I took out is, I live in Ma. The cape no less...finding a donor vehicle around here at a scrapyard just doesn't happen. Unfortunately anything 10 yrs old or older goes straight to the crusher. That's why I was asking about aftermarket, how much drop if anyone knows. I'll get the#'s off the motor and id it, the way this build is going I most likely have the one motor that will mean special motor mounts. Thanks to all!
Hey, Boxer. The smaller 6's have engine mounting bosses straight across from each other, and can we think "symmetrical"?; the 292 is "asymmetrical", having the front mounting-boss closer to the front of the engine.

Also, nothing wrong with pretty after-market rear transmission supports; but just for functionality I'd try to save that $75-$85 and use standard 4-inch channel u can buy "by weight" from scrap yard for a couple dollars, and buy a $5 to $6 rear rubber mount from Advance Auto Parts. May hafta cut/weld a little, but bolting to frame would then be just like you'd hafta do with an after-mkt member--and should be sturdy enough for 'whatever weight and torque' you'd ever need.

HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
padresag

here is a link on rear mounting
http://www.persh.org/pickup/700R4.htm
ron
Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
luvbowties

Cool Re: Mounts, motor and trans.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
here is a link on rear mounting
http://www.persh.org/pickup/700R4.htm
ron
Hey, padresag, good link. That Suburban support fit just so perfect that it almost took away all the fun! The Crown Vic was a simple fab too [but I still like the Sub swap better].
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 08-27-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Hey, padresag, good link. That Suburban support fit just so perfect that it almost took away all the fun! The Crown Vic was a simple fab too [but I still like the Sub swap better].
Sam
one is for the 60-62 frame and the other is for 63-66

ron