The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
firefighter736

Brake Booster/Dist Block question

Hey guys,

I've already done the brake split mod (Thanks, ChiefRocka!) with a '67 Impala MC. I'm going to go ahead and swap over to a power drum/drum setup. I've already purchased the awesome bracket from CaptainFab. A few questions about the swap:

1) Can I use any brake booster that the MC will bolt to? My friend has a MC out of a late 70s Camaro/Transam, would that work? If not, what should I look for?

2) Do I have to have a distribution block? If so, why are they so expensive?

Thanks!

1966 Chevy C10 Pics

Rust to Riding - Pictures of my build
firefighter736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Brake Booster/Dist Block question

The Camaro/Trans Am booster will not bolt up to the booster bracket, nor will it be correct for the master cylinder.

For what you are doing, your best bet would be to get a booster for a '67-'70 pickup. Your existing master cylinder will bolt up, and should have the correct deep bore in the back of the piston for the long intermediate pushrod. For drum/drum brakes, you really don't have to have a distribution block.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
firefighter736

As always, Captain comes up with the answer. Thank you.

Is there anything I need to know beyond that? The previous threads on the subject say its straight forward. Will I need to do anything for the pushrod that goes from the pedal to the MC (now Booster)?

1966 Chevy C10 Pics

Rust to Riding - Pictures of my build
firefighter736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will need to extend the booster pushrod. This can easily be done by cutting both the booster pushrod and your original pushrod, and welding the 2 pcs together. If welding is not an option, the booster pushrod can also be threaded, and extended with a coupling nut, a piece of all thread, and a female heim joint. There again if the threading is not possible, a tube can be slid over the booster pushrod, and drill through both pieces and install either a roll pin, or a machine screw, to secure the 2 pcs together.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote