The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
72chevynoob

What is your motivation?

Okay, so I have noticed with myself anyways, that when I work on my truck it is in spurts. I will get a lot done for a week, and then for two or three nothing will happen. Generally, my motivation is driving to grad in my truck all done up, and also due to the fact that I am a teenage guy, the saying 'women dig cool cars'. Just wondering what you guys use to motivate yourselves to finish your projects!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: What is your motivation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevynoob View Post
Okay, so I have noticed with myself anyways, that when I work on my truck it is in spurts. I will get a lot done for a week, and then for two or three nothing will happen. Generally, my motivation is driving to grad in my truck all done up, and also due to the fact that I am a teenage guy, the saying 'women dig cool cars'. Just wondering what you guys use to motivate yourselves to finish your projects!
Posted via Mobile Device

My main motivation is that I like being out doors, working on the cars and trucks, and I don't watch any TV. I came in from the shop around 8:15 this evening. Basically there just isn't anything I would rather be doing.... The high was 95º here today but I was outside most of the day. I don't know if you would call that motivation or just plain dumb...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Just the pure 100% cool factor of a 67-72 Chevy/GMC truck motivates me. This forum actually fueled a fire that I have had since my dad brought home my first 68 pick up which was a LWB Fleetside with a 307 2 barrel, 3 on the tree. That was 32 years ago. Over the years, I have owned at least 25 of these trucks in one form or another. At times 2 at the same time. My father passed when I was 30 and that lost a lot of my motivation then but now it is back as strong as ever. One thing I know is that I have meet a lot of genuine people on this site. People that share this passion just as I do. There is always someone to help me as well as need my help. It is an addiction for sure.

As Leon stated, I also do not watch TV. I would rather be out doors doing something on my truck.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

To me life is about keeping busy. I like older trucks and it's nice to stay busy doing what you like,whenever you can. If I'm not working on my trucks it's because there's another priority calling,usually something to do with the house or motorcycle. The trucks are something I can do at home. I come up with all kinds of crazy little project ideas,too. I have plenty of interests away from home,too,and driving a cool older truck to do it makes the occasion 10x better. "Chicks dig it"...now there's some motivation there! I guess a chick has to like the kind of guy who digs old trucks or she ain't gonna like me!!

Idle hands are the devil's tools (did I get that right?)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Having people admire the finished product is very satisfying (yes, I know they are never finished), especially if you did it yourself.
Pride is a great motivator.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Lattimer

I'm obsessive about finishing things I start. Once I start something, I have to see the end. I actually get anxiety issues if something sits for too long.

So, I have to break the big project down into smaller chunks, otherwise I'd wind up in a rubber room. My longest chunk is probably 3 weekends of work.

I take some breaks between the smaller stuff, so I may not do anything but drive the truck for a few weeks at a time. Then I tear into the next item on my list and thrash on it until completed.

working this way I have gone through almost everything except the body work on my truck in about 9 months.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
SuperC10Tex

Pride in doing something that looks good....and coming home every day and raising the garage door and seeing these 2 GMC Butt's greeting me!!

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
mmiddle

For the love of old cars/trucks. I love driving something that is all mine and that is part of me... more so than just my checkbook.
Don't get me wrong, I love driving my 2003 Duramax, but if I park it somewhere it will not be the only Red Crewcab Chevy in the lot.
Also pride in my work plays a big part. Not that I look to others to approve of me... I just like being different with class.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
zammer
Addicted user

I agree with the above and the fact that i too do not watch much tv and would rather work on my projects then lay around a yawn and look out the window and hope for a better/sunnier/warmer/less windy/cooler/quieter day.
Also having something unique to drive other then a dodge 4x4 like 20 out of the 50 people i work with with weekly payments to go up in smoke
1970 Jimmy 4wd - future project
zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
ksshane

This site and my 8 year old son that just thinks these are the coolest style trucks
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Lou Boffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I'm obsessive about finishing things I start. Once I start something, I have to see the end. I actually get anxiety issues if something sits for too long.

So, I have to break the big project down into smaller chunks, otherwise I'd wind up in a rubber room. My longest chunk is probably 3 weekends of work.

I take some breaks between the smaller stuff, so I may not do anything but drive the truck for a few weeks at a time. Then I tear into the next item on my list and thrash on it until completed.

working this way I have gone through almost everything except the body work on my truck in about 9 months.
Same here. Love my truck and have to finnish what I start...bordering on compulsive (wife would say...over the line)
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
dads longhorn

Because it was dads,
Because he took great care of it,
Because its a way that I can show respect for him and his values,
Because of the looks and comments I get from the public,
Because the people on this forum have taught me an appreciation for the truck,
Because its a pretty cool looking,driving truck all by itself
Because it brings back good family memories,
Because its a useful vehicle
Nice color ,comfortable, because women dig cool cars (that's me)
Enough?
Posted via Mobile Device
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Daner

Read a book called Drive. It's about motivation. I feel like it explains it well.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
1972RedNeck

I get bored so I fix it 'till it's broke and then make it better still.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
butler57

The satisfaction of working on something and have it look/run better than when you started. I'm no mechanic so it's also fun to learn. On the "cool" side...I just bought a 2013 LTZ today and when I pick it up Tuesday not one person will notice when I drive off the lot. When I take the old truck I always have conversations. People either owned one, knew someone that owned one etc...I think it gives others pleasure just to look it over and bring back memories of younger days.
butler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

I use it to calm me down or just make the rest of my life make sense... LOL. There is something about turning wrenches that gives me the chance to think about everything going on in my life. If I have a crappy day at work I come home and go straight to the garage to do something, anything to make sense of it all. My beautiful bride knows me well enough to know to just leave me alone for a little while, while I work things out for myself! I have yet to "complete" a project but I am hoping that my daughters truck will be the first one to finalize! Just thought I would share!
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #17
In The Ten Ring

It was my dad's truck. He bought it new before I was born.

I'm SUPER busy right now: 3 graduate level courses, working on my house, working on my rental property, and I am building a website (well hiring it done) and trying to get up interest for it every day on FB and twitter.

I hope to get back on the truck next week when I finish a big paper due Monday.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
It was my dad's truck. He bought it new before I was born.

I'm SUPER busy right now: 3 graduate level courses, working on my house, working on my rental property, and I am building a website (well hiring it done) and trying to get up interest for it every day on FB and twitter.

I hope to get back on the truck next week when I finish a big paper due Monday.
I was wondering what your deal is lol. Couldn't figure out if it was ADHD or too much Red Bull. I'm thinking both?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
In The Ten Ring

That's funny!

Not red bull since I avoid soft drinks.

Might be ADHD to some extent, but mainly I think it's because I have a lot of junk, varied interests, I live alone (no help) and I am not happy/satisfied with what I have accomplished in life. More must be done!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I T T R,sounds like you're very focused and motivated on many levels. Stay busy my friends

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Dont have any right now havent touched it in three weeks. All i have left to paint is the outside bed sides and tailgate. Whats wrong with me
Attached Images

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
gale

Interesting to read these motivations. I haven't analyzed my motivations much but I tend to keep a lot of balls in the air. I'm 73 and retired and just recently disassembled my '54 Chevy truck for a frame up repaint. My '67 C20 stepside is almost completely disassembled and it is getting a lot of rust repair/replacement. Then my '83 BMW R100S motorcycle is on the lift and it is just about ready for the road again. Next on the lift will be my '74 Triumph Trident. My wife says if I would just focus on one project it would get done. The look she gets from me lets her know to drop that.

I enjoy the work. I do the wrenching, welding, bodywork, and painting. If I followed my wife's advice and finished one I'd probably have another in its spot within a week.

But I also enjoy driving my toys and the response I get.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet View Post
Dont have any right now havent touched it in three weeks. All i have left to paint is the outside bed sides and tailgate. Whats wrong with me
Your truck looks great but it also looks like it's done. Time to shop for another.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
Spartan

My motivation coincides with my love for tinkering.
I think it stems from my parents. They provided me with the foundation and the rest is up to me I guess. It started simple...when I was a kid there was no such thing as a bmx bike, so we made our own. Then volkswagens in high school. Then Porsches (bathtubs and 914). Then into classics (still have the old chieftain). 4x4 stuff for the rubicon in the 80's and jeeps and now these trucks. Really all the way remembering the days when the 99% weren't being cheated out of their time and money. So...long story long it's the memories, the fun, and the need to tinker. Joy and sometimes pain.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Interesting to read these motivations. I haven't analyzed my motivations much but I tend to keep a lot of balls in the air. I'm 73 and retired and just recently disassembled my '54 Chevy truck for a frame up repaint. My '67 C20 stepside is almost completely disassembled and it is getting a lot of rust repair/replacement. Then my '83 BMW R100S motorcycle is on the lift and it is just about ready for the road again. Next on the lift will be my '74 Triumph Trident. My wife says if I would just focus on one project it would get done. The look she gets from me lets her know to drop that.

I enjoy the work. I do the wrenching, welding, bodywork, and painting. If I followed my wife's advice and finished one I'd probably have another in its spot within a week.

But I also enjoy driving my toys and the response I get.
i hope i am still going strong at 73 and thats 20 years from now. but the way i feel now i dont see it. congradulations on your health and projects.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote