The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
K98AL

Should I?

Thinking I may spend around 3 grand to get a paint job....sure seems like a lot of cash for a daily driver.

Name:  1962 C-10 001.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  45.5 KB
K98AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
K98AL

Re: Should I?

another view

Name:  5-26-12 005.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I say spend $450 on a good spray gun and get some nason's paint. Sand it down, prime it, color sand it, put your base coats down then clear coat then buff it; and you will be spending a lot less than having it done. My buck and a half.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Unfortunately good paint jobs can get very expensive. Just the materials can cost a fortune. It really depends on what the truck means to you, how long you intend to keep it, and what kind of a statement you want to make. Doing it yourself is less expensive if you have the talent, experience, tools, and a place to work. I would have preferred having mine done in gloss black urethane, but that was financially out of the question.

That's why I ended up with a couple hundred dollars invested in JD Blitz Black instead.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
K98AL

My biggest issue is time. Couple that with a lack of talent and a good place to shoot it, I've gotta choose between an el cheapo paint job, or letting the "pro" do it with PPG base/clear. I think I'm leaning towards letting the "pro" do it, I know he does good work.....
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Irishbleueyes

Do the cheapo for 450, it'll be fine unless your going to ever show it but a daily driver... 3000 is a lot of money now a days.. be smart
Irishbleueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Irishbleueyes

or look at it this way, that 3000 paint job will maybe last 7 yrs at best on a daily driver and you could get that cheapo done 3 or 4 times in the next twelve yrs, maybe even change colors and have nice paint for twice as long for less than half the money.
Irishbleueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
tincan1966

Sounds like the choice is "good enough" or having a nice truck.
Over and over again a lot of people seem to think all paint jobs should be done for $500

And if they cost more, you're getting ripped off. Not true.

A $3000 paint job is not a bad price for an overall, if doing the final prep(which most painters will insist on) jambing the doors, hood, inside bed, etc. What you are paying for is the experience, the materials, the paint booth, etc. The painter isn't pocketing all the money.

If you are unsure of your abilities, then maybe painting is not for you. Nothing worse than having a truck you don't like the looks of.

Any professional paint job will last longer if properly cared for. You can't just paint it, park it outside and expect it to last- even a new car won't last.

Ultimately it is your decision, but a paint job is not a "cheapest is best" scenario.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
WhippinSaw

Try some Fine cut cleaner and then some polishing compound and a couple cans of rustoleum and beer. Truck looks good, Put some hub caps on and cruise. Cheers
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
gofastnut

K98AL, are you having pre-buyer's remorse? Is there something (other than the $3000) that makes you not want to do it. Yep, $3000 is a lot of money, but, how much do you love your truck?
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
K98AL

I slept on it. I'm gonna let the guy take a close look at it, and if he thinks he can do it justice for 3000, I'm gonna let him do it.

How much do I love my truck...well, I had a '62 over twenty years ago and had to get rid of it after 5 years. So I bought this one two years ago, it looks just about like the old one. I had this grey/dk grey paint scheme in my head for 25+ years, I'm gonna have to get it done.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
bmur66

Just make sure you are going to get a quality job for 3K. Does that include taking it down to bare metal and making sure all body work is done properly? I am no body guy or painter but if I was going to lay down that kind of cash I would want to be sure it was done right. It would suck to have paint bubbling or rust coming thru a couple years down the road.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
tincan1966

Not too sure where some guys get bodywork and paint done, but apparently it's been a while since they've priced good work.

IF you can get all the bodywork AND paint done for $3000 THAT would be a cheap paint job. Cheap enough I'd be afraid of the quality.
But I know- ALL body shops are rip-offs- there's already a forum on that.

Put this in perspective a bit- in this area, most shops are in the $75/hr range. Even a simple base clear, single color paint job consists of at least 3 steps- final blocking/cleaning and masking, and applying a sealer coat. Applying the base color. Then applying the clear coat. Unmask and clean up. On an average- there's going to be 20-25 hours involved. So far $1875.
Then add paint and materials- good stuff that the painter can warrantee- you have color - probably about a gallon, maybe 5 quarts, depending on color can range from $100-$300, then clear coat, activator, reducers, primer/sealer w/ catalyst, tape, masking paper, etc, etc. Easily $500 in materials minimum. Now we're at $2375 and this was with NO body work and not removing the windshield and back glass.
So how much good bodywork can you get done for $600 ?? Most of that would be spent cleaning/prepping the door jambs, removing trim, door handles, etc.

Not every vehicle needs to be stripped to bare metal, either. Yes it does provide the best base to start with, but now you're talking a lot more labor and materials.

I am aware I will get bashed on this, because Home Depot and Tractor Supply sell paint for $30/gallon and Sears will sell you a paint gun for $20 and some of those paint jobs look "ok".
If that's the look you are after, there's nothing wrong with it.
BUT if you thinking about wanting something that will last, look good and most importantly you can be proud of- have it done once and done right.

I have seen way too many home paint jobs end in disaster and cost 2X more for real paint job later than it would have cost to do it right the first time.

For a $500 paint job- leave it in primer- and recoat as necessary.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
scottofksu

These issues and the cost are why I am more than happy going with a DIY satin black (all be it sprayed in a professional booth using professional equipment at our local High School career center)... I plan on driving my truck frequently and I don't want to have to groan every time I find a stone chip or a door ding... That's not to say that I do not value or admire a professionally done paint job; I just don't trust myself or the world around me enough to keep it nice and I don't have pockets that are deep enough to keep the paint touched up and looking new. To each their own!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
bmur66

Thanks for laying that out there Tincan. That kind of what I was thinking.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I wouldn't reduce it to loving your truck or good enough.
Everyone has different circumstances.
I myself am like Mark.
Also, I like his point he made in another thread about not having to worry about every ding and chip.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
K98AL

Well, I won't worry about chips and dings much. I drive it about 40 miles a day M-F, often more on the weekends. It's kind of a good opportunity to get it done for that price. (I know that not pricey) Either way, it's a lot of cash to me....I'll take before/after pics.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
61K10

what kind of paint? also single or base coat/clear? bodywork included? have you seen his work? if you are happy with his work I thank it's a great price. I am doing my own and just the materials will be a big part of that. good luck

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
K98AL

He wants to use PPG base/clear. He paints for several dealerships around here, so I'm confident about his work. He knows I'm only wanting a DD job, not a garage queen job. Truck spends 100% of it's time outside...lots of heat and sunshine. Materials are about 1000-1200 of the job. No real body work to do, some very minor dings, but rust has been cut out and replaced.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
cortcomp

I have about a grand in clear and centari single stage for my truck, and that's not including sandpaper and tape (good tape is $10 a roll now). It really is all in the prep and finishing afterwards (not that it doesn't take a good hand to lay the paint down.)

If someone said "hey, give me two more grand and i'll do as good a job as you're doing and have it done faster", i'd cramp my hand writing that check SO FAST. I have clean sheetmetal, but i'm always picking up supplies, sanding, putting one color on, sanding, next color, sanding, etc.

Also, just shooting the jambs is great but you are painting over the rubber splashguards which i think looks gaudy, and also the bed isn't coming off so there's that huge area it's hiding that will be a different color, etc. If someone is doing it decently right for 3k, that's a deal, even if it's single stage, as long as they've worked with it before and it's a solid non-metallic color, i'd go for it.

I don't know about this $500 mystical paintjob, unless it's just primer or flat black and no white cab, trim lines, effort, polishing, etc.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
cortcomp

BC/CC makes that price even better.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
gofastnut

I'd say as long as the body checks out OK, no rust, etc. Maybe your body guy will give you some idea as to prep(what to do). I'd have him look it over and double check to make sure the price is still the same.
Go for it, you won't be sorry!
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
AcampoDave

3 grand is a lot, but I know my dads '76 camper special was about $3500. for factory style two tone.. It is a beauty, but I like my mystical $500 special well enough. (I did it myself) true it doesn't compare to my dad's paint job but I still get the thumbs up from passersby and stayed within my budget.
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #24
Vernski

Tincan nailed it good, I painted my truck and I figured about $2700 for just materials and paint. Primmer, primmer sealer BC CC on both tones. If you figure in air compressor=$1200 $450 for 3 spray guns it works it's way up real
quick. Then a shop to do it in $$$ some are fortunate to have a few of the items already. But if you can get one painted for $3000 I'd beat my hiney over
there real quick. Here is a picture of mine and it was allot of work that they don't tell you about at the paint store..Vernski
Attached Images

Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
McCoyAZ

Well just so you know one of the local body shops quoted me $12,000.00 to do mine.

$3,000 IS a lot of money to most people but since I am pretty particular I would pay it.

Maybe the guy will let you help some so you can either get more for the money or less on the cost?
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote