The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
SmokeShadows

School is in session: removal of A/C

i am new to these old trucks, and everything to automotive, the only things i have done in the past is minor break/oil changes and more so electrical, so i dont have much knowledge in the mechanical portion and i am wanting to learn, alot..... but my main question right now is : how would i go about removing the ac system completely along with the heater for now, and to be more specific, what is needed to remove the components attached to the engine, like the compressor pullys and the drier etc ...... im pretty sure i have enough competance to remove them but what would i do about the belts and everything like that, would i get a smaller belt or what, im just not too sure how the engine pully assembly works, now i would also like to say i havnt done anything yet except remove all the broken cables and stuff on the inside now but i am curious on what i should do to get it all out of the way for now but still be able to start the truck up and everything, any help or tips or cautions would be greatly appreciated, i have looked but found only information on replacing/upgrading but nothing on complete removal.... like always thanks in advanced ~SmokeShadows~
SmokeShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Steve Hafner

Re: School is in session: removal of A/C

. . . .

Do a search at the top of the page ( that will search this entire website )

I put in " Removing AC " and got quite a few posts.

Type in more specific items to get to the " details "

Make sure you select " 67-72chevytrucks.com " first.

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
SmokeShadows

ok see now i knew some one would miss understand what im saying....i wasnt hit in the head with a coconut or born yesterday but the thing is.....REREAD MY QUESTION before answering with some dumb answer like "use the search bar"..... i have searched with no results on what im looking for.... i find many results with replacing and upgrading or swapping ac for no ac and no ac to ac but nothing on complete removal, MY MAIN ISSUE IS WHAT TO DO ABOUT REMOVING THE AC COMPONENTS FROM THE ENGINE PERMANENTLY...... i dont know how the engine pully system works but i dont want to F my S up before even starting..... remember please re read my questions before answering with some stupid answer, if you dont know what im asking then say so but telling me to use the search bar when i already have doesnt help at all..... and if you find something on the search function then post a link to it. i have been unable to find the information i am looking for.... so let me re ask my question......... if i remove the ac components from the engine will there be slack in the belts? and if so then what should i do about it? like after i remove the ac compressor will the belt be loose on the pullys... once again thanks in advanced for anyone with actual input to the problem at hand, and sorry if i sound like an ass but it seems nobody can understand me properly or maybe im just not asking the question in a way that you can understand but like i said, i have used the search bar, i am new to engines and dont know proper terms that would make this a helluva lot easier if i could ask properly, i would like to learn but if your best answer is "use the search bar" then please dont waste our time
Old 09-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Well let me start by saying for some one with only 16 post u are not going to get many answer's after that reply. He (Steve Hafner) was trying to help u even if it wasn't the answer u seeked! He did it in good faith trying to let u know about the search on here.

U your self said u were a new be and now your acting like your a regular at this. OK then.

Hope u find your answer to the question. Good luck!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Well, shoot. After that scathing warning, I don't know that too many folks will be lined up to attempt to answer your question

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
SmokeShadows

Lol

Last edited by SmokeShadows; 09-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
SmokeShadows

Exclamation Re: School is in session: removal of A/C

wow.... i had apologized for maybe sounding rude but its like he didnt even read what i posted, i did a search and i said that i did a search in my original post, and that kid socking the other kid is awsome, but not what i was trying to achieve, and im beginning to think that i just dont belong on this forum, im not saying im a regular but i have been on more then just this one forum, im figuring it out slowly but surely but i think it may just come to a screeching halt...... i guess i can figure it out anyhow but i guess it wont be from here, i was reading the posts and it seemed like it was pretty chill with some cool people but i suppose i just dont fit in, like that jack up looking puzzle piece that isnt even the same picture as the rest but ummm anyways guys it was good reading, and ill keep it that way... reading... LOL... ~SmokeShadows~
Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: School is in session: removal of A/C

Mister-B,
dang that's a big picture! Lol...

SmokeShadows,
as far as the way u ask things on here will detirm a lot of times what kind of answer's u get. Always remember typing on a forum is diferant than speaking it.
And yes sometimes we do seem hard on people but that is again the internet and not what most of us want. It's hard sometimes to get yor feeling across on here.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 09-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Mister-B,
dang that's a big picture! Lol...
:
chevy:
Lol. I know, right? Can't figure out how to resize it, but figure what the hell. Fits the situation even better that way lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Steve Hafner

. . . .

After an intense search . . . I see what you mean . . . there isn't much information about the pulleys.

Starting with post number 5 in the link below, it DOES tell a little about what he did to his pulleys when he took off his A/C.

Maybe you could send a personal message to the guy who took off his A/C and see if he can help you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474244
Old 09-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
71 super

If you take the a/ c belt and brackets off you will be fine. You don't need to remove pulleys and it will not affect other belts. You will need to remove the strap that connects the horseshoe bracket onstage intake- the flat slotted bracket. Unbolt the bracket located on the manifold and that attaches to the head/ water pump . To keep from taking other accessories loose, cut the belt. The compressor hAs the muffler assembly that needs to be taken off the bolt is located between the two pipes at the common union. After that the hose can be removed from the poa valve and the tube going to condenser this will be tough and will try to bend thevtubesvso use lots of your favorite breaking loose spray. The last thing to remove is line from valve at box and at the second condenser tube. Be sure to save everything!
Posted via Mobile Device
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
PatrickGMC70

Well, I imagine you'd get better responses if you used complete sentences and paragraphs. Sure, this is the Internet and spelling doesn't have to be perfect, but damn.

It would probably also be helpful if you said WHY you want to completely remove the heater and AC. If all you want is to disable the AC, you can simply take the belt off.

If you actually want to remove everything, you have a long list ahead of you. Briefly, you'll need to have the AC system discharged, drain the coolant, disconnect all of the hoses, plug the outlet on the water pump, and fill the hole in the firewall left by the heater box (in addition to actually unbolting and removing all of the components.)

Getting a factory service manual is probably a good investment at this point; it will have helpful info about how to remove each component.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
MARKDTN

Your a/c components have value so don't throw them away. Are you looking to get rid of a/c because it doesn't work? Do you ever plan to go back or is it gone for good? Is it complete or are parts like control levers or mode door broken?

You can take the components out but what are you going to do about the holes in the dash for vents? About the hole in the firewall for the condensor and heater core? About the controls in the dash? Are you wanting to swap to heater only or delete it all?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Talk about "School is in session"...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Thats a BIG kid.. now Im scared... MOM
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
PAWS 72

He must have left. Hated to see it but Dont come on a board thats filled with a bunch of guys that do it all the time and be a smart a.., That dont get it in my book.

This is the best family friendly board that I know of. Just wish people would proof read before posting. Correct spelling
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Some civility is also in order.I mean you wouldn't talk to your neighbor that way if you wanted him to help you move a refrigerator.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #18
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGMC70 View Post
Well, I imagine you'd get better responses if you used complete sentences and paragraphs. Sure, this is the Internet and spelling doesn't have to be perfect, but damn.

Getting a factory service manual is probably a good investment at this point; it will have helpful info about how to remove each component.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Well, since the title of this thread is "School is in session: removal of A/C" (sic), and with the disclaimer that I'm not about "piling on", I'd like to repeat a little story a pretty "hardened" yet big-hearted and and loyal
friend told me that was originally offered to him by his "old school" father.

One day when my buddy was an older teenager, his father told him:

"Son, *my father* told me that if I got up and went to work in the morning, and on the way someone yelled at me explaining that under no uncertain terms I was an a$$h0Ie, there was a good chance that
person was having a bad day."

"But, Son, if I was off to work in the morning and before lunch three or five people called me an a$$hoIe, when I got home I better look pretty closely in the mirror to see if there was an a$$hoIe was staring
back from the glass."

-0-

I like to think have a pretty magnanimous personality. Forgiving and accepting, I like to think. Also, I think understand the foibles of a new communications medium, such as the one here upon which I feel honored
to belong. Forget "how long" we are members. Forget "how many posts". Forget about a mix of questions at different levels of mechanical proficiency that are asked and fielded. That's why we're here.

But, foible be foible, error be error, I just guess I'm getting too old and crotchety to accept rude behavior...Especially when one is called on it, and then veiled excuses abound. Like, I've heard my kids "apologize"
when they didn't think they were at fault.

I really respect those of you that are about smoothing the waters after such blatant bad manners. Seriously, I wish I had that in me instead of the "cull the herd" mentality. My flaw. That weakness of mine is,
in great part, based upon my respect for the climate we have on this Forum.

Which, I understand, this post does not perpetrate.

My bad, as they say in The Hood.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Steve Hafner

. .

. . . just in case someone wants to see the "REAL" picture !!! LOL

. .
Attached Images