The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
jmorri34

sidemarker ?

Ok, so My 69 Cst has sidemarker lights and to my knowledge the body panels on the truck are all original. Now for the life of me I dont understand but there is no electrical wiring for any of the sidemarker lights front or back. I dont want to get into a debate on whether or not its the right panels but my question is this.I plan on rewiring this truck from front to back but I want to get this truck inspected and titled in my name before I go that far and need to know,(1)is it ok to splice into the front grill blinker/running light and run a pigtail to the sidemarkers, and (2) is it ok to do the same for the back and run it so that they dont brighten when I hit the brakes. I realize this is sort of rigging it but I just need to get it passed inspection and to get it till I can afford the whole harness for the truck. Thanks for any input you guys can give me!!
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: sidemarker ?

You wont need side marker lights for the inspection if your truck just had side marker reflectors to begin with.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Bigdav160

In Texas, side markers are not part of the safety inspection.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
jmorri34

Hmm, ok. I called the inspection place and they said if it has lenses in the side that required bulbs that they would have to have bulbs in them but I didnt think that was right. Heck now I dont know what to do. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Bigdav160

From TXDPS webpage:

Items of Inspection for a Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80"
05.02 Inspect Every Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80 Inches Wide For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
21. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Side markers are required on:

20.24 Side Marker Lamps. Refer to Reference Section for lighting diagrams.

1. Required on all:

Buses 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trucks 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 30 feet or more in overall length.

Pole trailers.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Daddy Brim

Does yours have bulb sockets ? Win they first started putting side markers on the trucks they were just reflectors, at some point they started to put bulbs in. On your question on the wiring. Yes, just make sure on the backs you splice into the wire for the tail light not the brake.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
From TXDPS webpage:

Items of Inspection for a Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80"
05.02 Inspect Every Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80 Inches Wide For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
21. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Side markers are required on:

20.24 Side Marker Lamps. Refer to Reference Section for lighting diagrams.

1. Required on all:

Buses 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trucks 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 30 feet or more in overall length.

Pole trailers.
Awesome, thanks for the info!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Brim View Post
Does yours have bulb sockets ? Win they first started putting side markers on the trucks they were just reflectors, at some point they started to put bulbs in. On your question on the wiring. Yes, just make sure on the backs you splice into the wire for the tail light not the brake.
Yea they have spots for bulbs, thats what had me all confused. I couldnt figure out if it had lenses why was there no wiring for them lol!!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorri34 View Post
Yea they have spots for bulbs, thats what had me all confused. I couldnt figure out if it had lenses why was there no wiring for them lol!!
It's possible that all the hardware is correct, but your headlight and tail/brake light harnesses are not. Just a thought.

How long have you had your truck, and do you know anything about its history before you got involved?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
It's possible that all the hardware is correct, but your headlight and tail/brake light harnesses are not. Just a thought.

How long have you had your truck, and do you know anything about its history before you got involved?
Well only what they told me but who knows how accurate it is and it is a 45 YO truck so the reflectors could have been switched out with lenses with bulb places on them as well. I like the side markers lit up so I think I am going to wire them up with lights anyway
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I had a 1969 CST and it was an early build, October 1968. It also had reflectors and no bulbs. I asked the same question as you and found out from here that the side reflectors only started to be standard equipment later in the 1969 build year.

Side markers on vehicles all were mandated by the Feds for the 1968 model year and I guess it took a while for GM and the other manufacturers to install lights in the reflectors.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I had a 1969 CST and it was an early build, October 1968. It also had reflectors and no bulbs. I asked the same question as you and found out from here that the side reflectors only started to be standard equipment later in the 1969 build year.

Side markers on vehicles all were mandated by the Feds for the 1968 model year and I guess it took a while for GM and the other manufacturers to install lights in the reflectors.
Hmm interesting information, did the reflectors have a spot for bulbs or was it just a flat reflector where the lights go?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
fp1967

Here is a picture of a side marker from a 1969. It looks the same but doesn't have a hole for the bulb.

fp1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

I had an original 69. It had side reflectors with spots for bulbs but No Bulbs. You are OK, don't sweat it.... Honest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
jmorri34

Cool, thanks everyone for all the replies and info very much!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
data89

Quote:
Ok, so My 69 Cst has sidemarker lights and to my knowledge the body panels on the truck are all original. Now for the life of me I dont understand but there is no electrical wiring for any of the sidemarker lights front or back. I dont want to get into a debate on whether or not its the right panels but my question is this.I plan on rewiring this truck from front to back but I want to get this truck inspected and titled in my name before I go that far and need to know,(1)is it ok to splice into the front grill blinker/running light and run a pigtail to the sidemarkers, and (2) is it ok to do the same for the back and run it so that they dont brighten when I hit the brakes. I realize this is sort of rigging it but I just need to get it passed inspection and to get it till I can afford the whole harness for the truck. Thanks for any input you guys can give me!!
I have an original "69. The side markers did not have bulbs in them and the rear ones did not have an option for bulbs. I found newer (same style) lenses with bulb sockets and pigtails and hooked up the rear to the tail light wire and the front to the parking light wire. Works great and makes me feel good. Also, I found information indicating an option of the plain jane marker lights for the "69 was the newer style marker lights such as you see on a "70 and upwards. This was a factory option for "69 according to the information, but, I have not verified this, you might ask around or find an old advertising booklet.
data89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
jmorri34

Just wanted to thank everyone for theyre information and input, I Got the sidemarkers all wired up and working correctly with no issue at all. I know I didnt need to but I like the lights on the side so I decided to wire them up. Thanks everyone again for all there help!!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #18
GMCPaul

Quote:
GM received a waiver from the Fed's in 1968 that only required them to install reflectors in the 1968 model year trucks. At some point in the life of your vehicle someone installed a set of sidemarkers that accept bulbs as all the original 68's had no bulbs and the sidemarkers had no provision for bulbs. GM continued to use the reflectors on even later model years when they would run out of sidemarkers that accepted bulbs and they used the non bulb version so as not to stop the production line. They got away with a lot back then that never would be allowed today.
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #19
SCHRUMGMC

That is very interesting Paul, never knew that
Old 09-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
GM received a waiver from the Fed's in 1968 that only required them to install reflectors in the 1968 model year trucks. At some point in the life of your vehicle someone installed a set of sidemarkers that accept bulbs as all the original 68's had no bulbs and the sidemarkers had no provision for bulbs. GM continued to use the reflectors on even later model years when they would run out of sidemarkers that accepted bulbs and they used the non bulb version so as not to stop the production line. They got away with a lot back then that never would be allowed today.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Thats sweet man, great information to have Paul. Thanks I apreciate any and all info I can get on theses trucks!