The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Your ultimate road trip?

I keep telling my wife, "someday I'm going to take a week off, hop in the truck and just go wherever the truck takes me."

What was your favorite road trip in your 67-72 chevy truck, suburban, blazer? Where did you go, what did you stop and see? Feel free to post pictures. Some of my favorite threads on the forum have been of road trips and looking at the pictures of different parts of our great country.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
mmiddle

Re: Your ultimate road trip?

I have not done it yet. BUT....
I want to cruise Route 66 all the way across the country to Cali. Then cruise US-1 north all the way. Take about 3 weeks and really see the sites. The Wifey and I love road tripping. Originally I wanted to do it in the Factory-Five Cobra I am going to build, but then the '70 fell into my lap so it might happen in it first.

We drive from the DFW area to Prescott, AZ about 2 times each year for my daughter school functions. And love the nostalgia along the way. Last year we stopped at the Cadillac Ranch and painted our names on the cars.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Your ultimate road trip?

2013 Hot Rod Power Tour.
It was the best 8 day's I have spent in a long time. I plan to do the 2014 also and hope to do it every year for now on.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6100661

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
tommys72

I just drove mine 1100 miles in two days from the coast of NC to Missouri to store it at my parents for a few months til I get back there..didnt have one problem on the trip
Posted via Mobile Device

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive never owned one of these trucks that I would truly trust on a long road trip. Fixing stuff along the way leaves no appeal to me =)

I would like to drive down to Bonneville some day. Im tired of driving my dailys down there, I wanna be one of the cool kids lol.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

I really want to take two weeks off, drive over to New Mexico, then head North up to the Red River area (one of my favorite places), then up through the mountains of Colorado, into Wyoming and up to Yellowstone.

From there, up to Montana (always wanted to see Montana), back through Idaho, Utah, over to Colorado and slowly back home. Some how, some way, some day!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
flashed

I have not been able to take my truck on a long road trip yet as it is still in bodyshop limbo but have taken several cross country trips in my wife's 72 Malibu convertible .Our longest journey was from Ga to Nashville to New York to Washington State down through California to Texas and then back to Nashville then back home to Ga .We were gone 17 days through 22 states and over 6600 miles with 5 other Chevelle's traveling with us.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Wookiee

Talking Re: Your ultimate road trip?

In July 2011, I went to Florida and watched the STS-135 launch after spending the night camping in the back of my '70 C-10. Loitered a couple days in the area to check out the museums, then took off up the east coast and spent a day in Savannah and another in Charleston. Almost 1700 miles later, I was home in Nashville. No problems. Except everywhere I stopped someone tried to buy my truck.

Now my camaro, she and I have a long and storied history.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
darkhorse970

I've only done it on Harleys, but Colorado, Wyoming and the Black Hills of South Dakota are hard to beat. It would also be REALLY COOL to do Hot Rod Power Tour next year through the Smoky Mountains...not sure about the route, but it is starting in Charlotte, NC.

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

HRPT Is Charlotte to somewhere in New England area.

I have several on my "Bucket List"
1.Rt66 I lived almost on it for years and have traveled some of it.
2 HRPT
3.Woodward Dream Cruise
4.Cruisin the Coast
5.Brothers show or Rene's or both.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
slow-1

I have a plan...when I retire (in 4 years) I am going to hook a trailer to the RV and drive to the SW USA and find a rust free 67 (medium blue, white top, running)...buy it then spend a couple months moving the RV around to different "base camps" and exploring the country in the new to me 67.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
pritch

I had a '67 C10 that I bought in the spring of '79 when I was 21 and we went on many wild adventures. I'll think for a minute and try to remember if any are suitable for a family forum.........Nope, couldn't come up with any

But I never gave it a second thought about that truck not being up for the task. I put the second hundred thousand miles on it and never once had to walk away for it being broke down. Stuck, now that's another thing.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
I keep telling my wife, "someday I'm going to take a week off, hop in the truck and just go wherever the truck takes me."

What was your favorite road trip in your 67-72 chevy truck, suburban, blazer? Where did you go, what did you stop and see? Feel free to post pictures. Some of my favorite threads on the forum have been of road trips and looking at the pictures of different parts of our great country.
Monument valley. Remember Forrest Gump? The spot where he stopped running is halfway between Monument valley and Mexican Hat.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
I really want to take two weeks off, drive over to New Mexico, then head North up to the Red River area (one of my favorite places), then up through the mountains of Colorado, into Wyoming and up to Yellowstone.

From there, up to Montana (always wanted to see Montana), back through Idaho, Utah, over to Colorado and slowly back home. Some how, some way, some day!
If you come through Utah, and you feel like seeing people, contact me and we can go do something fun
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
I had a '67 C10 that I bought in the spring of '79 when I was 21 and we went on many wild adventures. I'll think for a minute and try to remember if any are suitable for a family forum.........Nope, couldn't come up with any

But I never gave it a second thought about that truck not being up for the task. I put the second hundred thousand miles on it and never once had to walk away for it being broke down. Stuck, now that's another thing.
That's hilarious.

Lets do lunch again soon, and you can tell me all the details
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
richards72chevy

Drove my 72 from northern California to Tennessee.Other than running over a semi tire in the middle of the road everything went smooth.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I'm 64, still blessed with excellent health and have the Hot Rod Power Tour on my bucket list. For me it wouldnt only be the Power Tour cause from where I live in Western Canada getting to the start point of any Power Tour would be a trip unto itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
grancuda

Did the 2013 Power Tour but i did it in my '69 Road Runner. The Ford 9" rear end messed up and we did all but the last stop. I drive my '72 everywhere though, been on full day trips 500+ miles in a day round trip. Done day trips in the C10 from Tulsa to Dallas, KC, Topeka, Wichita, MoKan & we normally take the small highways when we go just to see more stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #19
wreckedchevy

Sturgis bike rally right after I got the truck
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
In The Ten Ring

Never went very far in the truck (yet) but in 2004 I took an all stock but the paint 1975 Pontiac Bonneville from southern WV to Niles, Michigan by myself. Up there to see a girl of course and I must say, it was the most fun driving I have ever had. I stopped off in OH and bought a couple rifles at Aimsurplus (if I had it to do over I'd not gone to see the girl and spent the money on more guns but that's hormones for you!).

The drive across Indiana was the most memorable: that old land cruiser would get away from me and I'd look down and be doing 85 and not even notice it (no cruise control) and people would yell across 3 lanes at red lights asking me about the car.

As was normal whenever I took a girl out in that car something broke....this time I got air in the lines and had to run a red light, well two red lights, because she had no intention of stopping! Bled the brakes in a parking lot and all was well again. Took it up to Benton Harbor with the girl on my right shoulder....I mean....who DOESN'T want a bench seat? A trucker passed us and I swear he gave me a "thumbs up!"

Now if I could, I'd load up my truck with all the parts I could find that I want and drive it solo, back roads the whole way to Las Vegas, and get that Kount's Customs guy to restore it. Then fly out there and drive it back!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Marc S

This November, I will be towing my 26' goose neck enclosed trailer to SEMA with my 1972 C20 because my Mustang will be on display. This will be about a 2600 mile road trip.
Marc S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #22
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancuda View Post
Did the 2013 Power Tour but i did it in my '69 Road Runner. The Ford 9" rear end messed up and we did all but the last stop. I drive my '72 everywhere though, been on full day trips 500+ miles in a day round trip. Done day trips in the C10 from Tulsa to Dallas, KC, Topeka, Wichita, MoKan & we normally take the small highways when we go just to see more stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
not hijacking here just had the thought when I saw 69 Road Runner that I got my drivers license in 1970 in a friends 1969 383 4 speed Road Runner..
Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #23
rpatowers

in 1974 I drove my truck to Mustang, Nevada. I saw the sights, met the locals, and left in the neck of time.
rpatowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Drove to Daytona, Fla. last year for the Turkey run. Just got back from my third annual trip to Pigeon Forge, Tn. for Shades of the Past. Been down to Charleston, S.C. and over to Asheville, N.C. several times. "Ya' Gotta' Drive' Em." It's also my daily driver. My truck sees about 25,000 miles a year with all the side trips.
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Your ultimate road trip?

I've already posted about the 2013 HRPT but forgot to mention the truck did 3200 miles round trip and I never had one problem. There were several of us driving our trucks and only 1 that I know of had problems maybe 2 but we all made it the whole way.
I drove from Liberty SC to Terrel Tx in 13hrs only stoped 1 time for gas in Ms. By the way I had a tire hit the truck also in Ala.state line!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote