The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Anti-Ricer

D.I.Y door panel ideas

I plan on D.I.Y my own door panels and doing the upholstery.Im never done anything like this before so I thought id post how I plan on doing it.That way I dont totally screw it up lol.maybe someone can give me some pointers/tips to make it easier for me.I try and do everything on my projects as I can.here's how I plan on doing it(if they are a DIY page for this kinda stuff on this forum or another site please lmk)
Anyways they sell this stuff at home depot that's like particle board but it's thinner and well its not particle board lol.Im taking the 65 out tomorrow to get all the bugs out of it so it's ready for the rodrun this weekend ill get the name of it.Im going to buy some 3m fabric spray glue and hit a crafts store for some fabric. I haven't decided which kind of fabric I want to use yet.If you have any ideas of a fabric that goes with my ratrod/prostreet theme 65 let me know.I want my interior to look nice and tasteful.nothing that screams out or that is too bold or a eye sore. I'll post some examples and maybe you can help me.anyways I plan on using the particle board stuff and using a grinder so I can have a groove where the knob is to roll the window up and down.tgrn laying the fabric over it.slitting the qt so it lays down flat.then spraying the fabric with the 3m glue.I plan on using them screws with the washer things behind them that spin on thr screw but wont come off to mount the panel on the truck.if someone can tell me what them screws are id appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Anti-Ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: D.I.Y door panel ideas

I call it "dust board", but its basically somewhere between partical board and cardboard.

Take a look at my build. We did our own upholstery on the upper door panels, and I made my own lower door panels and an under dash "knee panel" out of the stuff, and covered it all with a black leather and vinyl that matches my seats and the satin black on my truck.

We used some similar techniques to do the center console.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
old cruiser

If the board is what I think your talking about we call MDF medium density fibre board, its good as long as it doesn't get wet . The washers are known as cup washers.
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I always though of MDF as the 1/4+ stuff like I build sub boxes out of.
It might still be considered a type of mdf, the stuff I mean is called "Hard Board" at home depot etc.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Anti-Ricer

I stopped by home depot today to see what the name of that wood was called.it's MDF wood or I guess you would call it wood.I also noticed they have stuff like pegboard but it doesn't have the holes.Im heard that the mdf doesn't do good in water and being a door panel it will see a lot of rain and drinks spilled on it.what does other people use when making Panels?

She may not be pretty but she sure is fun.I had to take a pic of her as I was leaving home depot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
67swb72klb

abs plastic can be used
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I originally started out headed in your direction, but my wife wanted a stouter arm rest arrangement that the particle board wouldn't hold. So, I used the factory panel, built an armrest/door pull from wood and bolted it to the panel. I used upholstery foam and leftover leather from my bench seat to cover it.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
abs plastic can be used
ABS is what I used on mine. 1/8" is fine for simple panels. I used 3/16" because I wanted diamond tufting and it requires a lot of strength. It's completely waterproof, and I used Marine vinyl for the fabric which is highly water resistant.

I also used Christmas tree fasteners to mount the panels. They don't show and allow the panels to be removed and reinstalled. The results are shown on the following page of my build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=444502&page=3
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Anti-Ricer

How did you get all them lines into the panel vin63? Im seen something where a guy used some kinda of polystyrene foam the pink foam stuff to make panels.he sanded it with a Da to the shape then used a sharp object to make grooves into it.then he covered it with fabric then used a bondon spreader to get the fabric into the grooves he carved into the panel.this was after he sprayed the panel with 3m glue and let it get tacky.the panels turned out pretty sweet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Ricer View Post
How did you get all them lines into the panel vin63?...
Thanks...I cut and shaped individual foam pieces, glued them to the panel, so when I covered it, the lines end up being the creases between the foam pieces.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
old cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I always though of MDF as the 1/4+ stuff like I build sub boxes out of.
It might still be considered a type of mdf, the stuff I mean is called "Hard Board" at home depot etc.

You're right, it is hard board. I was picturing mdf in my head sorry for confusion.
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
AcampoDave

When I bought my shortbed it had diamond tuck velour fabric with a thick spongy foam backing glued to the factory door panels. I wanted a stock cab so I tore it off and found the door panels ruined with rust. I also had to cut out the part of the door itself which contained the threaded door panel bosses and section in a replacement patch due to rust holes and rotten broken panel screws. If your truck spends time in the weather, be careful with what you affix to your metal because this happened in dry, hot central California.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Wiping the panels with a prep, or doing it with gloves on saves getting moisture and or oils on anything. To help with rust, don't use any open-cell foam, only use closed cell high density interior foam. If your have a hot-rod or a vert, considering running a boat foam, or a marine vinyl as both will help resist moisture, mildew etc.

Good door seals and drain holes also really help with this.