The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Unhappy local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

well guys it looks like the day has come that the local auto parts stores don't stock parts for our cars and trucks anymore I went to get an oil filter for my Camaro and stopped at every auto parts in town they did not even know what I was talking about ??? an oil filter ???? ended up had to order it , I heard the one counter person telling his supervisor that I did not know what I was talking about LOL shewww never thought id see it ,,, kinda sad ,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
SCHRUMGMC

Re: local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

That blows my mind
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: local auto parts store not stocking our parts ?? never thought Id see the day

Yep. I couldn't get a headlight awhile back. A normal 7 inch round headlight. No longer a stocking part. I'm a dinosaur I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
lha1992

You gotta be kidding me right??

Not stocking a GM small block oil filter??
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Your Camaro's a small block,right? Same oil filter as a 6.2/6.5TD through '99. Pretty lame if they don't stock what is probably the single most common oil filter ever...a filter that applies to dozens of vehicles made from the '60s through at least '99? You don't know what you're talking about? More like they don't know what they're doing. My Napa hands them to me every time I need one. All the vehicles in my signature take that filter.
Like George said,"Stop the world! I want to get off!!"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
SCHRUMGMC

Heck I go to O' Reilly's and they have everything I need
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

A lot of this is based on your geographic location and what the demand is for the part you need and how much dust it will collect on the shelf of the parts store before they take it out of inventory.

The Napa where I live in Oxford Mi, has to order everything I need, points, condenser, 7 inch round glass head lights, carb rebuild kits, air filter, spark plugs, yes that is what I said, spark plugs. The good old AC R43TS is no longer on the shelf anywhere near me.

Now on the other hand, I go into the Napa in Junction City, OR and they even have the correct Alpine Green engine enamel for my 64 with a 292. They carry, points and condensers and oil filters and 7 inch round headlights, etc, because a lot of people in that area drive these trucks on a daily basis.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
SCHRUMGMC

Do I have to buy from LMC for the head Lights or could I buy them somewhere else fir cheaper
Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
Do I have to buy from LMC for the head Lights or could I buy them somewhere else fir cheaper
Amazon.com: Sylvania H6024 Standard Round Halogen... Amazon.com: Sylvania H6024 Standard Round Halogen...
This is for the 7 inch but the GMC will have 5 1/2 inch. Do some google searching and you should find a decent price on them.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
SCHRUMGMC

So I could use these for my 71 Gmc ?....Hell at this one place its $40 for one bulb
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
clinebarger

A part store not stocking a PF1218 (PF35) doesn't sound right, My local Wally world has that filter.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Mister-B
Account Suspended

I'm running the stock type wiper blades/arms. I went to NAPA, and they no longer carry the inserts. They can't even order them in. Went to oreilly, and they had a blade with insert that looked close, but it wouldn't clip into the arm properly. Guess I'll have to buy the whole thing from Brothers or another specialized parts place

On another note, I went to a very large Chevrolet dealer recently to find something else, and their catalogs only go back to the 90's. the only thing they could do for me, was copy a key. Of course, the tatted, hoop ear holed, hoodlum parts guy was very interested in getting me to sell him my truck (that wasn't and isn't for sale), of course until he found out its a long bed, and then he had no interest. Good! Hopefully it'll be less likely to get stolen by your buddies
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

A month ago I walked into my local Advance Auto and bought points,condensor,and a coil for my '71 C/30 wrecker. We have virtually no trucks like these driven daily around here,or any vehicles nearly this old,except collector vehicles. I can go into the Chevy dealer I've been dealing with since the late '70s and order any part for any year,if it's available. They can definitely look the parts up. They can do a national search on their computer. They got me a console ashtray from Texas.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I just bought a 7" round headlight for the '69 Burb, off the shelf at O'rielys in North Kansas City, MO over the weekend.

My local NAPA store has to order EVERYTHING. They stock very little, even for the newer cars. The only thing they haven't been able to order in for me is a couple of gaskets. Chicago had 7 of them but I would have had to pay 7 bucks shipping.... For two $1.93 gaskets. I don't think so...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
rockc

I run into the same problem with a intake, exhaust manifold and water pump gasket set. Auto Zone had to order it and O'Rilyes had only the water pump gasket. NAPA didn't have it either.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

My local parts joint is a "mom and pop" store... backed by Parts Plus. They haven't let me down yet. Heck I even bought new motor mounts Brake hoses, and brake calipers from them. They stock Wix brand filters... and they have pretty much everything from 1939 to the present covered there as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Eddie H.

I was in Leander ( Near Austin) a couple of weeks ago, working on my son's 71 GMC. We went to the orileys and asked the kid for a set of short "header spark plugs" for a 350 chevy. After half hour of fumbling through the computer, asking his co workers, and his supervisor, he finally told me that there was no such thing as "header plugs". I then walked to the shelf behind him, picked up a set and laid them on the counter in front of him.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #18
kcsa75

I don't normally have too much trouble finding what I need at the local Advance Auto or O'Reilly's. Even if they don't have something, they can usually have it the next business day.
My ace in the hole, though, is the CarQuest distribution center up the street from my house. There is a store attached to the warehouse and if they don't have it in stock in the store, a guy will jump on a bicycle and run over to the warehouse to get my part. Works every time.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
67swb72klb

those 7" headlights are hard to find around here
fyi roc auto is having a closeout on the 7" headlights for under $4
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
kcfirstbuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
My local parts joint is a "mom and pop" store... backed by Parts Plus. They haven't let me down yet. Heck I even bought new motor mounts Brake hoses, and brake calipers from them. They stock Wix brand filters... and they have pretty much everything from 1939 to the present covered there as well.

Gary

Second that ! - I work for a Mom and pops store !
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
I was in Leander ( Near Austin) a couple of weeks ago, working on my son's 71 GMC. We went to the orileys and asked the kid for a set of short "header spark plugs" for a 350 chevy. After half hour of fumbling through the computer, asking his co workers, and his supervisor, he finally told me that there was no such thing as "header plugs". I then walked to the shelf behind him, picked up a set and laid them on the counter in front of him.
If youre here inLeander again, go to the Parts Connection on hwy 183. They also have a store in Cedar Park. You wont have that problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
boynton

it really depends on who you talk to and what lingo you use. A computer doesn't know what a small block chevy oil filter is. if you give them the part number they will be able to find it...same for any sparkplug or belt. You can blame unrealistic video games and smart phones for our stupid kids that are now the front desk clerks...(I'm 29 and could be mistaken for one of these kids at first glance). I believe this is also caused by parents not spending enough time with their kids and teaching them things...it is easier to just let them play on your iPad and watch TV than make them do something. They might not appreciate it at first but they will later in life. You can also blame our throw-away society that thinks anything over 6mo old is useless. Or look at the tree hugging hippies that think driving a hybrid is going to save the environment...right up until we have to start spending the time, energy and resources to refurbish that giant battery that is in your car! not to mention all of the "energy" it took to make it in the first place. I guess I'm done with this for now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #23
88Ironduke

Well I would like to offer my .02 cents on the subject. I work part time with a major automotive parts store. They are in the business to make money period. They do this by keeping track of DMV records in your local area. The process is skewed at best and is especially bad where states border each other. At the end of the day they stock parts for what people have registered in the area. If you're lucky enough to have parts at your local Auto Zone, O'Rilleys or Advance Auto it is because the DMV reports that the make/models of the general public that have cars registered there. I have gotten no feedback from anyone as to how often that database is updated. I can say though that when it updated is we get a huge change over of stock.

Of my stock of cars is a base 05' Grand Prix and I had to order an alternator for a 3800 V6. A 3800, one of the most common V-6 engines in the GM stable. Its well produced and I see plenty on the road but its not a stocked item even though there are a million of them.... Go figure. According to the bean counters there are not too many if them around me.

88Ironduke
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #24
Spartan

Boynton- just a FYI... Tree hugging hippies can't afford hybrids. They are too busy saving the trees so we have clean air to breath. Glean from that what you like.

I haven't had any problems getting parts from my mom and pops store. If they don't have it they will find it... With a smile and a good cup a JOE for all. Gotta love small town folks. Customer service isn't dead yet!

2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #25
Russ.W.

I've had this happen as well.

More often than not, you'll find it's not that they don't stock the part, it's that the computer doesn't list the part as fitting your car - usually because they don't list vehicles that old. Don't forget, the average store is staffed by random employees wanting a job, not people with in-depth knowledge sacrificing time for the good of the industry. They rely on the computer to tell them what's what.

Forget what a computer database says; Part Numbers rule all. Before I head to the local parts store for parts, I ensure I know part numbers - and I ensure I know current part numbers if the originals have been superseded.

A part number search will trump a vehicle year/make/model search every time.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote