The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
AZNUKLHD

Holley carb 600cfm question.

Hello all,

I have a holley 4 barrel 1850-5 1381 which I don't know what the 1381 means.

So it appears to be a 4160 model 600cfm. I purchased this truck a few months back which it had been setting in the desert for 7 years. So when it drops below 115 degrees I get some time to work on it.

Other than some loose vac lines, stuck float and faulty fuel pump I have been able to get it running/stopping/driving. However the truck doesnt want to idle. I used to have to prime it but have since been able to start using the pedal. Once started I can press the pedal to raise the rpm and half the time after a few minutes I can let off and it will run. I adjusted the curb idle which helped on that particular day. But the next day it was like starting from scratch.

After replacing the fuel pump I pulled the supply fuel line at the carb and had good fuel delivery. So it's either a carb tuning issue or a mechanical issue.

So my quesiton is at this point should I rebuild the carb? Or could it be a tuning issue?

My understanding these carbs are pretty easy to rebuild but also pretty affordable to replace as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Its a 1971 350 c.i with manual trans. I have no idea if the motor is original and/or if there were any other modifications done.

Thanks.....
AZNUKLHD is offline   Reply With Quote