The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
evolve520

Rear Shock removal

This weekend I plan on doing the rear shock relocation on my 66'. The PO added 4" lowered springs to the rear and never relocated the shocks. Needless to say, the shocks are at a pretty off angle and the rear end bounces around too much. What is the best way to get the shocks off to add the new brackets. I have access to a lift so getting the truck in the air is no problem. Do I get the truck up in the air and and then support the rear end to compress the shocks? I can't imagine there is too much tension on the shocks like a spring has when removing. Any tips/hints are appreciated. Thanks,
Jon
evolve520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: Rear Shock removal

I raised my truck up and put jack stands under frame, then I used a floor jack to raise rear end to the best height to remove shocks.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
DA68

If using the lift, get a jack under the differential. If on the ground, jack stands under the rear frame rails and floor jack under the diff, if needed. Start soaking the shock mounting nuts and U-bolt nuts now, with PB Blaster. For the rivets on the upper shock mount; I "X" cut the heads (if accessible) with my cut-off tool, grab a cold chisel, a good sized hammer and knock 'em off. Cold chisel, torch or air chisel will take care of the rivets.
DA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I just took my bed out and did it on the ground with a jack.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
donthekawguy

I was lucky when I did mine. I had the bed off so it was easy to get to the rivets. With right parts these trucks ride really smooth. I was amazed at the difference in mine. But now I'm disappointed in how the front feels. Make sure you get the shorter shocks also.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^I switched to Qa1's up front, SO MUCH BETTER. They blow the cheaper drop shocks out of the water. Having a little control over the dampening/rebound can really help with the float these get.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote