The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
joe1966

Exclamation 700r4 and megashifter HELP!!

Okay. so i just picked up this turbo 700r4. and i purchased a B and M megashifter. its all together and ready to go. as of right now my truck is the old 4 speed with the compund low. so i was wondering. After the tranny and other parts of the manual transmission stuff were out. what do i do now. i have a brand new torque converter. ( 27 spline ) and a new flexplate. i also have a new automatic starter. so thats not really my problem. Ive never installed a megashifter in a pickup truck. Does any one have any ideas or pictures or a thread that has had this done before? i just need a little boost to get going. anything helps! thank you!
joe1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 700r4 and megashifter HELP!!

Did you get the instructions with it? They are more specific on the putting together of the gate/base.

Find a good place on the floor (usually dictated by where the old hole is if your coming from a manual trans). Run the shifter cable up through that hole from the auto trans.

Bolt the megashifter to the floor, attach the shifter cable. Try going to each position on the trans to make sure that the shifter is engaging properly. You might have to adjust the cable or the gate on the shifter a tiny bit to get D to match up with D etc. Sometimes its tricky to get the #1 position all the way at the bottom, due to the shifter hitting the bench seat. I used to run one on my 700r4 and then the 4l80e before I was tired of it. Make sure the TV cable is hooked up for that 700r4.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
billd5string

As BR3W said, the mega shifter is really easy to install, I used one for years and I think it took less than an hour to install and adjust up.

Your bigger challenge will be your existing bellhousing crossmember and getting a new transmission crossmember. You mentioned having a compound low, which means you probably have a Muncie SM420 transmission which doesn’t use any transmission crossmember mount, it just hangs off the bellhousing. The bellhousing has its own unique crossmember which does not unbolt from the frame (at least not on my 65).

I’ve never done a manual to automatic conversion on one of these trucks so hopefully someone can describe what needs to be done to remove that existing bellhousing crossmember and what a good donor vehicle would be for the transmission crossmember. Also you’ll probably have to modify your driveshaft to get the right length.

Oh and I think the starter will need to be changed as well, because the existing one probably bolts to the bellhousing instead of the engine (at least mine does).

Not the best of news, but it’s better than getting under there and realizing there are more parts you need to get it finished.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
gulfcoast66
64-66 CHEVY JUNKIE

Posted via Mobile Device. Hey Joe1966 I just installed one in my truck, I removed the xmember that the bell housing sets on, it has four rivets on each side that need to come out... I used a grinder and a step drill bit to get them out..
I used a gmc Paul's 67-72 trans xmember and for the trans mount I used one for a 72 auto truck..Great fit for 700-r4..
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

2017 GMC Serra 4x4 5.3 Vortec, 4l60-E
Do It In A Chevrolet
gulfcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote