The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
White70C20

Replaced front brakes, now more probs?

Well I fixed the problem with my front brakes. It turns out the lining on the pass. side front shoes came un-bonded and cracked apart. When I took the drum off, pieces of lining came falling out.
So, I replaced the shoes and all the springs on the front. I adjusted the brakes to where they almost drag, but the drum still spins.
I got it out on the street and now the brake pedal is very soft. I'm having a hard time slowing down.
My friend says it's just going to take some time for the new shoes to seat into the drums, and that I should apply the brakes a few times while backing up to adjust them.

When installing the new shoes, I did push in on the plungers on the wheel cylinders to get the shoes to fit snug. Could I have caused a leak?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Again, this truck is my daily driver.
Thanks!

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
luvbowties

Question Re: Replaced front brakes, now more probs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White70C20 View Post
Well I fixed the problem with my front brakes. It turns out the lining on the pass. side front shoes came un-bonded and cracked apart. When I took the drum off, pieces of lining came falling out.
So, I replaced the shoes and all the springs on the front. I adjusted the brakes to where they almost drag, but the drum still spins.
I got it out on the street and now the brake pedal is very soft. I'm having a hard time slowing down.
My friend says it's just going to take some time for the new shoes to seat into the drums, and that I should apply the brakes a few times while backing up to adjust them.

When installing the new shoes, I did push in on the plungers on the wheel cylinders to get the shoes to fit snug. Could I have caused a leak?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Again, this truck is my daily driver.
Thanks!

Did u have the drums turned?
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Replaced front brakes, now more probs?

You might try tightening them more, and if it drags too much, you can always back them out a bit. Take the truck to an empty parking lot and in reverse at about 5-10 mph, stab the brake pedal. Rinse and repeat a half dozen times.

Check your brake fluid level. If it is lower than it was, you have a leak somewhere

Did you install new springs, or were the old ones still good?

You might try sending a PM to Tbone1964 to see if he can chime in on this thread. He really knows his stuff. He helped me do my brake job, and he's a master a it
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
geezer#99

You need to bleed the brakes. Moving the cups (plungers) in the cylinders will draw air into the cylinders.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
RexDodge

Geezer has a good suggestion. If your drums spin free you need to adjust the shoes out a bit more. You should hear/feel a slight drag. The backing up trick will help but that initial setting will allow for a quicker "seating" time. Bleed the brakes and adjust your drag...should be good to go.
Posted via Mobile Device
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
geezer#99

Also be aware that with new shoes the cups that the plungers push on are now in a different spot inside the cylinder. If the cylinder wall is dirty or pitted at that new spot then you'll get air in to the cylinders every time they move in and out.
If after you bleed them they get spongy again you'll need to clean the cylinder bore to get a better seal.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
cdowns

did u check those drums real good?
sometimes the damage you describe to the shoes is caused by overheating and in some cases if the drums have blueing of the metal that means they are toast and need replaced
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
White70C20

Thanks guys!

Yes, I checked the drums. They are fine. No I didn't have them turned. I was told it wasn't necessary.

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote