The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
rory71

4x2 to 4x4 swap question...

Hey guys, I have spent way too many hours on here searching through all the awesome builds and man am I impressed, lots of great builds! I have a beat up 76 K20 that needs too much work to save, I have seen a few nice 2 wheelers around with clean bodies. After a ton of searching builds I wasn't able to get any info on the shackle mounts for the back end of the front leaf springs. Is the hole in 2 wheel frame to mount the shackle bushing? That's the only thing in question for me. Thanks for any help!!
rory71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: 4x2 to 4x4 swap question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory71 View Post
Hey guys, I have spent way too many hours on here searching through all the awesome builds and man am I impressed, lots of great builds! I have a beat up 76 K20 that needs too much work to save, I have seen a few nice 2 wheelers around with clean bodies. After a ton of searching builds I wasn't able to get any info on the shackle mounts for the back end of the front leaf springs. Is the hole in 2 wheel frame to mount the shackle bushing? That's the only thing in question for me. Thanks for any help!!

No there is no hole there. you would have to drill it. and i believe that the 4x4 steering gear box mount on the frame is slightly different as well. and that you need to use the 4x4 box for 4x4 application.

maybe another thing to consider would be that if your truck is too far beyond repair, do you mean the running gear or the body? or both? maybe you could pick up a straight 2WD truck and swap over all the body to your 4x4 frame? just a thought.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Conversion means exactly that....converting to 4 wheel drive, on something that was not available that way.
Do yourself a big favor, start with a 4x4 chassis at bare minimum, swapping a better body to it. But it would be better still to start with a complete truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
rory71

Ya I know that. My frame is tweaked, one of the po's ripped off the drivers side leaf spring st one time & did a bad fix it job. I put all correct parts on to fix the damage but its still not right. Body is beat up, holes drilled in the roof at one time for a home made rack. I wanted to swap my axles to a divorced NP205 with cross over steering.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
andrewmp6

If you don't mind having another long bed look around you can find 4x4 ones cheap enough.Or find one with a blown engine or trans and use yours as a parts truck.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
mrolds88

Have you checked out getting the frame pulled? Most alignment shops or body shops that are well equipped would be able to take care of it for you.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
makman1297

I converted my 77 2wd to 4x4 using 87 suburban parts. If you don't have a welder, torch and some good bits don't bother. The holes are close for the brackets, but off slightly so you have to fill in some and then re drill them. The rear hanger you need to measure and cut as there is no markings on the 2wd. Its not really hard, just time consuming, also have both frames side by side to get the measurements from one to the other. Don't forget you also half to change the engine cross member and the front cross member for your sway bar. I have pic on my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=463296&page=6 good luck.
1980 Kawasaki KZ 440
2004 Harley Sportster 1200
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
rory71

Thank you! That's the info I need.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
Zane M

If you were closer, I have a '78 K20 Frame you could have, after stripping the body and drive train off it.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
chevymadness

Lol I'm glad someone is as crazy as I am when it comes to flipping a 2wd for a 4x4!.I was preety much laughed out of the forum for bringing up such ideas years ago.I have been to a ton of shops locally and they all don't know what the hell to do with the truck.I have a preety 2wd silverado.I was going to do a fully conversion but after the parts list and cost it is not going to happen.If you want to do full swap you will have to change gear shift box,tranny yada yada yada so I heard anyway.But I found a great idea that I been meaning to post on here from some guy over at a 4x4 forum.He had a 2wd and just ripped the front end out(coil springs etc) and threw a axle under it added leaf springs and all he cut and welded mounts for leaf springs and the truck is not a working "4x4" but the axle is sitting there so he can LIFT the truck and have a rig he did that all for like 300 bucks.For a full conversion your talking 1500 to 2g on a good day at least for me anyway.I highly recommend that if you just want a nice rig to lift and have just go that route.A full 4x4 conversion is expensive.Its not like 4x4 are any better unless your in the sticks or something.I plan to go this route!
Posted via Mobile Device

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote