The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Unhappy Burned out..????

Here I am...almost 56 years old, retired before my time, income cut by over 50 percent, truck not finished, but runs and drives excellent. It needs body work and paint, interior work, glass work, yada, yada, yada. The A/C isn't working, and the weather is hot. Too hot to work on the truck. Can't work on it and drive it at the same time, anyway. So, I'm feeling burned out. Am I alone?

So, feeling sorry for myself won't finish my truck. Not being an accomplished body person, much less a painter, doesn't help. Not being a mechanic doesn't offer me anything to trade for the paint and body work. All that leaves is the 401(k) to tap, and that costs mucho dinero in taxes. My part time job is driving a school bus, but school is out, so no income. Being almost 56 doesn't mean that people are looking for me to come work for them....and, I've already done my share of shift work, holidays, weekends, and I'm not interested in doing it again. Let them young un's have those jobs....I don't want them. So, I guess I'll just have to weigh all my options and figure out when to "bite the bullet" and hit the savings and pay someone to finish my truck. Bummer.

Like I said: Anyone else burned-out?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
00droptopSS
2.5/4 on 20's

I wouldn't say people aren't looking for 56 year old employees.

This is my busy season and I am dying for a responsible, sober, and drug free driver to deliver cars and answer an occasional phone call M-F 8 to 5. On top of that I own a body shop…imagine the possibilities.

If you need anything that I can help with let me know.

My Old 72 SWB
00droptopSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:37 PM   #3
racedvl
Account Suspended

Ya know, we have alot of "retired" guys that deliver parts for us. Being a parts driver could have some up sides. Like discounts on parts, and getting some "connections". Just something to think about.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
Smooth68

Plus being a bus driver, parts delivery could just be your ticket. Come on up to Fayetteville - surely there's something for you to do around here....

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:39 PM   #5
c-tenkid

I am only 18.I think you can get burned out pretty quickly.

I used to work on my 67 everynight.We took it sanded down the entire front clip to bare metal.Got everything straight.And then I decided I wanted to clean the frame.Then put 5 lug disk.Eventually the only thing left was a cab,And rolling chassis.

I pushed it out in my driveway.Even considering giving it away.I let it sit for a month or so.Now I am starting on it again.Only this time I am taking a new approach.Take things one step at a time.Don't try to tackle everything at once.My dad did that.And it eventually made him end his own life.

Who am I to tell a 56 year old man how to do something?Nobody really.I just know it is very easy to get burnt out if you try to do to many things at once.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:55 PM   #6
krue
Designated A-hole!

I know what you mean about it being too hot to work on it! Unfortunately I don't have much choice, I'm too poor to pay someone to do it for me! Just take it one day at a time!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:15 AM   #7
sgtjed
What if?

wih 4 kids,full time job and my truck being my daily driver it gets hard to work on it. i have had the front disk setup laying beside the house since march. i just replaced all the upper,lower bushings and ball joints this weekend. i also painted em real nice too. i have the rear 5lug sitting in the bed for a month now all painted and with fresh lube in it.
problem i have is motivation and lack of time. i hope to tackle the front and rear on my next set of days off. but i have been saying this for about 4 months now. i also am in the process of painting and repainting the inside of my house so i can sell it to get a bigger place.
i cant tell you how many times i have wanted to sell the piece and just get a newer truck with air and overdrive just so i dont have to do anything to it.
after the front and rear i plan on starting the body work and interior. this truck is just gonna be a driver and nothing more,no frame off or anything like that planned for it. at least not for now
Old 07-08-2003, 12:23 AM   #8
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I wouldn't mess with your 401k, it cost you to much. I think the other guys are on to something. Parts driver sounds like a good way to network with the right type of people to help you get your truck finished. I'll be working rotating shift twelve hour days probably until I'm dead. That will come sooner than later because of the physical effect of constantly shifting from night shift to day shift. Hope I can get done what I want before then. I figure I'm good for another 25 years easy.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:07 AM   #9
krazy_texan

another way to get connections to things such as body work is become a snap on dealer you know the guys with the big trucks that drive around from shop to shop, they have a link for that on thier website might be worth your while and sounds kinda fun to
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 AM   #10
cdowns

there's always ebay,so far this year i've paid my house and car insurance as well as had my screenroom 35X15 tiled by a pro all with the profits iv'e made on ebay
i go to the local pull-n-save look for 60's &70's cars that arn't that popular pinto,maverick,gremlin,javilin etc. as well as 80's and 90's caprice and roadmasters . i just get small stuff like glovebox inserts,door latches,visors, armrests,domelights, taillights and parking lenses ,knobs,gauges , luggage racks etc small light and easy to ship. i usually will get a few pieces from a car put them on ebay and in the add i'll post that if interested in parts for this type of car to email me, then i'll just go back to the yard and see if those parts are there. i also go to fleamarkets and swap meets and yard sales pickin up crap and tryin to sell it online. the best deal i've had sofar is bought a bullwinkle the moose pez dispersor for $1 and sold it for $475 to a toy dealer last year,i'm still amazed by that one!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

All good points....

Thanks for the feedback. I know that being 56 isn't a job death warrant, but....we all know that listing your age is not in agreement with the Equal Opportunity Employment, and No Age Discrimination stuff, BUT, when your job history (from the beginning) goes back to selling cards door-to-door in '58, they don't have to be rocket scientists to figure your age.

Parts delivery? Thought about that. Have no problem with it. A friend owns a NAPA store here but has a young 'un doing his deliveries. Others are family-owned and operated, so no chance there. EBAy: good points made and I have "stuff" that I know has value. I have a digital camera, too. So, what keeps me from selling stuff on ebay? Good question. Just hadn't thought of it, even though I check it several times a week. Personnally, I got burned ona deal from a vendor on ebay, and I just hadn't given it the proper attention.

As for driving the school bus, my employer participates in the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System, so when I turn 62, I will have 7 years of driving under my belt, AND my military time will count towards the teacher retirement, allowing me to draw my teacher retirement, my social security and my Alcoa retirement. At that time, I'm good to go.....where ever I want....as long as my bride goes, too.

Burned out? Sure, but it won't last forever. Eventually, I'll get back on-track and focus on the end product...a black '69 swb, no more side chrome, with the A/C blowin' cold, a relocated fuel tank, new doors, maybe a '67 front cap (no firm decision on that), nice interior, a set of 16-inch rally wheels, etc. After all that, getting the flame paint job will finish it off. Then, getting burned out will have more to do with the mufflers, than me.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #12
biglou55

Red face

I know about burnout. I have a 40 hour a week carpentry job I also have a one man small engine repair business <part time HA HA > I am helping my oldest son start a business in roofing and siding. which i did in my younger days. I to recently gutted the interior of my house <new wiring walls floors windows.plumbing.etc. etc. at 53 years young I know what you mean. my wife says i am going too drop dead if i don,t slow down. did i forget to mention my 71 short step 68 fleetside and my 63 caddilac <all that i am trying to get finished this summer> beleive me i know how to spell BURNOUT. big lou
Old 07-08-2003, 01:27 PM   #13
69sixpackbee

Wally-mart greeter comes to mind...LOL
I feel your pain, brother..I am 45 and toasted myself!
Keep yer chin up, dude. It'll work out!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #14
Blue68

You wonder if a post like this would get the respect it deserves on a BMW board? This is a great cyber place.

Since you already have a license, have you considered driving the charter buses? My uncle does that on the side. He was a school principal/superintendant/coach/teacher/bus driver who retired early and takes the occasional gig driving retirees around on the large charter buses. Being in Arkansas, you are a short drive to Lousiana. Something to look into is driving a bus from Little Rock to Shreveport to support folks who drink and gamble too much. That's an enterprising activity here in Dallas.

Just a thought.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:39 PM   #15
skyhawk1

I'm 54 now and burned out somewhat too. I drove the 72 Burb to Va Beach Saturday with no air! I'll never do that again. Anyway, I put up a couple of my projects for sale here locally and I'm thinking about buy a new Suburban. "nice old truck" "what model is it?" etc. is kinda getting old! I'm thinking about getting out of the old truck business for a while. (I have to keep the 71 C-10 because I promised it to my 4 year old grandson) and he knows it's his. I'm thinking maybe about 10 years from now he and I can re restore it together. Of course I'll be 64 then (if I make it). Then again tomorrow I may have a new outlook on the whole thing. I don't know....
Oceana, West Virginia
skyhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:41 PM   #16
Mudder

Hello my name is Randy and I'm burnt out. I have a finished but not done truck and I dont even go to shows no more. Its either too hot or I'm too lazy. Job went from great to terrible in about 2 months with just a little over 3 years to go...........Yep I'm burnt.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:46 PM   #17
Southpa

My philosophy on all this is take everything in stride and live day by day. I know having nothing to do makes one think too much and depression sets in. But on the other hand you have to stop and smell the roses now and then. I know, its a tired cliche to use in this circumstance. But you all know how fast your years are going by. Lots of folks rushing around and getting wrapped up in their work. Before they know it someone is handing them a gold plated watch and saying "have a nice retirement". Where did all the years go?

I started a job in January and was told it would only last til the end of March. I'm still there but can't wait to finish. The job is fairing an expensive glass yacht. VERY labor intensive and I'm wondering how many years I have left where I am still capable of doing this kind of work. The upside is I'm learning a new trade (huh, another one) and can apply it to my truck. I'm pretty sure I know how to go about getting my truck ready for the painter. The boss says he will shoot it for me, I just gotta buy the bullets, .

Blue68 reminded me of a joke. Whats the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? A porcupine has the pricks on the outside, . So try to keep your sense of humor and BE AWARE of the good things around you.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 07-08-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #18
landon4421
Life is Good !

Lets talk about burned out. To start I am 32 and I have a son and a wonderful wife. I have had the frame of my project powder coated and sitting in the garage for 3 months now, all I need to do is get the springs powdered, also buy the bearings for the axles. 3 MONTHS !!! I have not done sh*t. Why I got tired of the whole situation. Ask the wife if we can afford it and she says no! Want to get out and do some work to the engine, she has plans. When I finally think I am going to get sometime to work on something to do with my truck, bam here comes my son. I have told my wife and friends that the project is over at least 1000 times, but yet I can not get my self to sell it off. Am I burned out he!! yes I am burned out, but in a month I will decide to go out and do something else, and I will tinker with the truck till I get burned out again. Thats the way it works for me.

As far as the work thing, There is three auto parts stores here in Hollister that all could use a decent delivery driver and parts counter help. I am not saying anything bad about the kids now a days, but the kids that work at all the auto parts stores here in Hollister dont know there a$$ from a hole in the ground! Back in the day there was a auto parts store called lacys, and you could walk into there store and ask Larry for any part and you were in and out in 5 min, and half of that time was bull sh*ting with the people there. Last week I called Kragens and was left on hold for ever. I am serious, 20 min after I called, I drove down and my wife was still on the phone. It took them 20 more to find the parts on the puter, and 10 more to locate them in the store. Mabe it was a new guy? But there service in the Hollister store has been poor for like a year now.

So if you want to move out here someone could probally hook you up to, As far as the truck thing and being burned out. One day at a time my freind, one day at a time.
'14 Honda Accord Sport "commuter"
landon4421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:55 PM   #19
jwhitfield

interesting to read all the responses to such a personal thread. It goes to show that no matter who you are, what your age is, we all go thru the same types of problems. We can all get to the point where we feel down and burned out. I know I have from time to time. In my own case I've always had car and truck projects, just never have the money at the right time. I've had to actually unload projects I loved (69 SS Chevelle) because it was time to face reality that I'd never have enough time or money to finish them. As you get older, other things (wives, kids, houses, elderly parents) take priority. It's funny, when your younger, you have all the time and no money. When your older, you have more money but no time. Ya just gotta keep pluggin on. Sounds like there are some good suggestions here especially the long haul bus driver. Good luck....keep us informed.....

Last edited by jwhitfield; 07-08-2003 at 03:57 PM.
jwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:41 PM   #20
BILELL

Talking

HEY I"M 69, HAD AT LEAST 20 68-72 CHEVY TRUCKS ,LOVED & HATED ALL OF AT ONE DAY OR ANOTHER. TOMORROW WILL BRING A WHOLE NEW THOUGHT. HANG ON !!!!!!!!!!!
BILELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #21
Shane
Account Suspended

I get "burnt out" about once every month or so ... let it sit for a few weeks, read a few magazines, see a few trucks on the street, come to this message board, whatever ... and then my "inspiration" is back for a month or so again. I suppose that's why its taking so long to finish this one. Seems like the older I get, the shorter my attention span is ... LOL!

I know this sounds like a cliche', but Hang in there ... better days will come!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:03 PM   #22
oldsub86

Most of us are burned out because we are the kind of people who do things ourselves instead of hiring people to do it for us while we go golfing.

I need to repair some rust on my 4Runner (just behind the rear wheels) and to replace a couple of ball joints on my elder son's (18) Honda Accord. I actually paid to have some bodywork done on it this spring because I knew I was not going to get to it myself this summer and don't want it to get too bad.

I have been slowly rebuilding my house for the past 20 years. I currently have one of the bathrooms torn down to bare walls and am in the process of installing all new fixtures etc. In order to get the shower stall into the bathroom we had to cut out half of one wall in the dining room and slide it in from the backside. I can't close that up until I settle the showerstall in place and do the plumbing. You can imagine how happy my wife is about all that. I know it is not going to get done until the weather turns colder as I have too much to do outside.

This past weekend, my younger son (14) and I reshingled the north side of my garage roof. The south side was done in 1998 and the two sides have been different colors of shingles for 5 years. It is a steep roof and therefore difficult to do - roof jacks and safety lines etc.

I need to paint the windows and trim on the garage and the house before my windows rot away. Bought the paint 3 years ago and have not managed to get much of it done yet.

I bought a 14 foot aluminum boat and a 9.5 HP Johnson for my younger son this spring because he begged me to do so for at least the past 2 or 3 years. We bought a used setup of course and had to do some work on it. Paint and new plywood on the transom plus some work on the motor. He wanted to do the work and did a lot of it himself but had to be supervised (and dad had to be involved of course). Now of course we need to take it out to the lake and get some use out of it. Maybe next weekend.

We have a bigger boat that is getting long in the tooth and needs some work too. Have not had it in the water for 3 summers now. Runs but has a problem with the starter and the floor is getting soft. Needs a new top etc.

We have a travel trailer that has a leak that I can't find (at least not easily so far) and the floor is going soft because the leak is causing rot. Need to work on that too but it is out at the lake and I don't have room at home to bring it home to work on it. Also don't have a tow vehicle since I sold the Suburban unless I use the poor old pickup.

I am so busy at work that I shouldn't be taking weekends off to go to the lake or shingle the roof. I am self employed so it is me or nothing.

Meanwhile my poor old pickup waits for me to fix it and has waited for close to 18 years getting nothing more than what it absolutely has to have in order to be driven. Right now I have the manifolds off and apart and need to take them to be machined so that I can reinstall them and drive the truck to the dump with the load of old shingles taken off the garage.

Yeah I am burned out and I could keep on for a while but you get the idea.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:04 PM   #23
70Chevy4x4Nut

At 46, this is my first real project (70 Chevy 4x4). I acquired a 29 chevy sedan when I was 27. Was going to fix it up, but wasn't really into it, as I had a fiancee and was about to be married, and ended up selling it. When I started this project, I knew I was in for some work, so I set some realistic goals on how long it would take. It has been a year since I started. I will have the cab and bed ready for paint by the end of this month. I have done all the metal work, and the finish and paint work will be done by a friend. As of now, when someone says to me "you aought to be cruising in next summer", I correct that by telling them what my goals are (2 more years). By setting realistic goals, I have been able to meet them so far. But as I said, this is my first, and I'm sure my last. When I bought the truck, the previous owner showed me the front cover of an old LMC catalogue, and it had a pic of a red 4x4 beauty. He said this is what he dreamed of it looking like someday. You see he inherited this truck, and let it sit a year until he figured out that with young kids and his busy schedule, he would never do anything with it, so he sold it. I kept that magazine, and whenever I feel that burnt out feeling coming on, I pull the magazine out and remind myself of what it will look like. That also has helped me to keep going.
70Chevy4x4Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:04 AM   #24
krazy_texan

we all hit get burned out on it some how, you say you are going to fix it up all nice like, then you sit there on the stool in your garage, drink a couple of beers and decide that you like it like it is and your not going to do anything else to it unless it needs it, like an oil change or new alternator, etc... then we do the very same thing the next week or month or whatever. me personlly being in school i have decided to leave it and after i get out of school then i will decide its fate.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:20 AM   #25
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Yes we have definately all been there. I have had so many vehicles at 32years of age I can't remember them all. So many projects and never finished one. I finally last year bought a 56 Chevy Bel Air Street Rod completed. It's *****in but it just sits in the garage and comes out every once in a while for a local show or cruise nite. It needs nothing so there is nothing to do to it except shine on it. That's what I wanted, right? Now Im here with you guys with a new project 71 C10 that really didn't start out as a project at all and if my wife has any say is not a project. It is supposed to be a daily driver but it needs a few things, ya know? It is a love-hate relationship these metal masterpieces. You just can't give them up there like women in a sense can't live with them can't live without them. When I'm down I always remember a saying I heard as a kid "better times are coming" and It gives me a positive look ahead. So don't dispare we are all with ya.