The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Ole87

Duplicolor vinyl and trim + Clear coat?

Hey Guys,
for the past few weekends I have removed all my trim, door panels, etc. And have painted them. That said, I used the Duplicolor adhesive promoter, and then a Duplicolor vinyl and trim paint. It looks great.

Those of you that have used this paint, did you go back over it with a clear coat of any kind? It looks as if it could scratch off easily. So before I reassemble anything, I am thinking of using a clearcoat to maybe help protect it a little longer. I haven't put any of the trim back on yet as I am waiting on a few trim accessories from LMC that should be in this week. Replacing the door pull straps, lower carpet, and the velour inserts. Also Ordered some fat mat to put on everything
Ole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
bojak

Re: Duplicolor vinyl and trim + Clear coat?

yes I usually put several coats of clear over the dupli-color for a protective coat. I usually use prep right, then adhesion promotor, Then spray on bed liner in the rattle can, Then at least 3 coats of dupli-color for coverage as well as softening the bed liner, then 2/3 coats of clear. The bed liner helps hide scratches, sun fade dryness, and makes a good base. I am converting from original blue to black so it easy system for me but I bet it would work for any color.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Ole87

To prep I washed and cleaned using a household soap and scotch pad. Then used a T.S.P. and water solution, and then washed again with soap. I probably spent more time cleaning than anything but I wanted it to be right.

Mine was a tan or saddle and I am going black. So with using the clear coat, has it helped protect yours from easily scratching and revealing the old color? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
bojak

Yeah I spend a lot of time cleaning every part thoroughly and then use the prep right, then the promoter, then the bed liner, then the color, then the clear. I think the clear helps but don't know to what level. After doing my research that was just the system I went with so don't know what the alternative holds up like. As far as the bed liner goes I kind of came up with that out of need. I was redoing my door panels but the top where your arm rest/sun bakes just kept sucking up the color. After like 5 coats it was still really dryed out. Looked like I had used semi-gloss everywhere and flat up there. I shot it with bed liner and not only did it fix it but it also re textured my panel. It was rough like sandpaper and that wasn't good so I applied the color over that and then clear and it softened it out nice. I have a bunch of picks but I am waiting to get a little more done on my truck b4 I do a build thread. I would rather take you through it in pictures then update as I go because it might be a while between milestones. Good luck.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
INSIDIOUS '86

I didn't really like how it worked on my door panels. The heat of summer just made it peel off on top.
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Ole87

Insidious, did you use a clear coat on it? I painted my door panels last weekend and just placed them back in the truck and laid them on the seat. So far no problems or orange peel etc., and thats with the windows up and our wonderful southern heat with indexes in the 100's. I got the rest of the interior off this weekend and got it all cleaned and painted and then started wondering about the clear coat.

When I got home today I took an area on one of the door panels where the velour panel will cover and scratched it with my finger. With decent force it did come off a little. So I may clear coat a test area and do another scratch test.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Ole87; 09-16-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Ole87

Same here Bojak, I have lots of pics, and still waiting on parts to install on the door panels, like the inserts, door pulls, arm rests, and a roll of fatmat. Have the headliner out also and will be calling a guy this week to see what he will charge. I did see at classic industries I think it was where they have them for 150 I think.
Posted via Mobile Device