The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
luvbowties

Question Anyone bought visors that hang way low on end?

I've bought sun visor brackets that are bent incorrectly to where they hang way too low on outer ends. When folded 'up and away' , the ends droop into the [center of windshield] driver's view and look "tired" and worn out. When folded down to maximize shading, the end leaves a sideways "vee" that is unblocked and unshaded and again tired looking. When folded to block sun from the side glass, the end toward rear of cab sags and allows unwanted light to pass thru the "sideways vee".

I've contacted supplier, but they are requiring a picture of it hanging in its incorrect positions--this I don't wish to re-construct, as my friction-fit visor-pad has already loosened up due to being slid on and off the rod several times.

It would help greatly if someone has received such an improperly-bent bracket rod, esp. from this same vendor. Even better would be a picture of it hanging inappropriately. Also, I'd like to know from whom you purchased yours--hoping to match up the pic AND the incorrect bracket coming from the same vendor.

Mine is a 1966; I ordered one earlier and had it a long time before installing it; so I ate that one. This recent one, I just received from another vendor and installed it immediately, only to find it too does not fit due to identical problem. Tried both on pass. side [NOT the side I ordered it for, suspecting a mere mix up on sides], and it is definitely made for the correct, driver's side, just dimensionally incorrect.

If the rod were held into the screw bracket with a screw, I could remove the rod, chuck into a vise, bend to proper angle, re-assemble, and be done. But, it is staked with a rivet-like, one-shot fastener--so, no 2nd chances on this design!

Thanks to any one who can help me get a deserved refund on this practically useless steel apparatus. BTW: The materials look plenty beefy & well-built with exception of a cadmium(vs. chrome--so stated in ad)finish AND lack of fit.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: Anyone bought visors that hang way low on end?

You could bend the rod up a little to make it fit better, I had to do this on a prior 63 that I installed an aftermarket passenger side visor on. Hung a little low...I removed the cover, bent the rod up just a hair, reinstall the cover and had no issues.

Sorry about your bad service with the company. My advise would be to address it in the vendor area to let other board members know of the issues with the vendor you used.

I installed passenger side visor in my current 63 with one from Truck Parts in CA and had no issues.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: Anyone bought visors that hang way low on end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
You could bend the rod up a little to make it fit better, I had to do this on a prior 63 that I installed an aftermarket passenger side visor on. Hung a little low...I removed the cover, bent the rod up just a hair, reinstall the cover and had no issues.

Sorry about your bad service with the company. My advise would be to address it in the vendor area to let other board members know of the issues with the vendor you used.

I installed passenger side visor in my current 63 with one from Truck Parts in CA and had no issues.
Thx for reply. Your advice re: bending the rod will NOT work on this one due to design problem with holding rod in cover, as I explained: "If the rod were held into the screw bracket with a screw, I could remove the rod, chuck into a vise, bend to proper angle, re-assemble, and be done. But, it is staked with a rivet-like, one-shot fastener--so...".

As far as letting other members know about bad company-issues, I will do so, BUT only after giving the vendor a chance to "deal" properly without my having to reassemble and take pictures. I think they should install one on their own dime* and take any pics they need. *I really do not mind doing this for them, but I have a spinal disability and have to hire so many even petty jobs done; when I do a simple job like this, if the exertion twists my spine just right, it often causes quite a bit of pain and discomfort for several days. PLUS: my visor pad loses more of its friction-grip each time it is slid all the way onto and off of that rod.

Thx for the heads-up about Truck Parts in Ca!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
1963c-10

i agree with allowing the vendor to fix the issue 1st. can you post some pics for us to see the issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here’s how the sunvisors sit in my truck. The photos in the parked position didn’t turn out, so here’s a rather poor older pic showing them in the up position:

The chrome tips just show in the windshield from the front on the outside. And here they are folded straight down. They appear to be straight across to me:

And folded to the sides. The driver side is dead level but the passenger side slants down a few degrees to the rear:

I’m sure I bought them from Chevy Duty (ClassicParts), but there’s no way of knowing if they are still selling parts made by the same manufacturer. Mine are the riveted type and cannot be disassembled. I’m reasonably certain I bent the rods for correct alignment, but that was over 15 years ago so I long longer remember if I just tweaked them in the truck, or in a bench vise. Mine are chromed, but only industrial quality. They had no shine or luster to them even when new.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
1963c-10

My passenger side visor is from classic parts also and hangs the same. My driver side is OEM and also sits level as markb01's does.

Mine do sit level at the mid point of the inner windshield gasket when in the up position.
1964 Short bed trailer