The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
RED71CHEVY

Question air bag set-up

What type of setup do I need? I do not want to use a compressor mounted to the truck, just have a way to adjust ride hieght for towing and then for crusing by using digital gages mounted in the cab along with the switches for the valves, do I need to have valves to close off the bags from each other while I am towing the boat or the trailer so the load does not cause the truck to sit crooked if the bed is not loaded evenly, then open them back up so the bags will cushion each other , and lower it back down for the good ride . Is this possible and what do ya'll think of this. I need all opions and ideas to help hash this thing out.
'71 CUSTOM C-10 torch red ,350 roller GM crate,3.73 GEARS, REAR 4"DROP SPRING, FRONT 2.5" DROP SPINDLE-1.5"lower spring, FRONT=17x8(4.5bs) W/265-60-17, BACK=17x9.5 (5bs)W/285-60-17, Vintage Air Sure Fit AC------NEVER ENDING PROJECT!!
RED71CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:09 PM   #2
Boones

Why dont you want to run a compressor. I would not run airbags without one.... If you are worried about noise or a place to mount it I would attach it to the frame back behind the rear tire (up out of the way. My last two set up have been mounted like that and they are quiet and out of the way of everything... (just put a mud flap in front of it to keep the wet and mud from the rear tire off of it...

Have you seen the black 80 2wd blazer for sale in your area. its in the autotrader on a lot up there. I was thinking of going and looking at it but hate to drive up if it is junk.....
Boones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Boones

P.S. The airbags will not ride bad... It is all on how you set up the rear suspension. After reading your post again, I think you are only looking or a helper system to offset the load.. (like the systems sold my "Airlift"....
Boones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
SCOTI

You can just run bags in place of your rear coils & run airline along each inside framerail to the rear bumper.

I used a couple of schrader valves (L & R, mounted to my license plate box) & just manually filled the bags (using a typical tire air guage to set pressures) when I hooked up the trailer then just deflated them during normal driving. I had minimal leakage (similar to what you would experience w/a tire) using this method for almost 2yrs. I used Firestone 2600# bags w/approx 30psi for normal driving & 60psi when pulling my 18ft car hauler.

Once I started pulling the trailer more often, I grew tired of having to drag out the air hose @ 5am, so I got a compressor & 3gal air tank. Both ways are equally effective, but I will admit, it's nice (& easier) just pushing the buttons.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
RED71CHEVY

boones......let me know what the phone number of the lot is and i will tell you what the truck really looks like.
'71 CUSTOM C-10 torch red ,350 roller GM crate,3.73 GEARS, REAR 4"DROP SPRING, FRONT 2.5" DROP SPINDLE-1.5"lower spring, FRONT=17x8(4.5bs) W/265-60-17, BACK=17x9.5 (5bs)W/285-60-17, Vintage Air Sure Fit AC------NEVER ENDING PROJECT!!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
RED71CHEVY

scoti......thanks for the info. i am new to this air -bag game and have herd about the "body roll" while towing/hauling, so that is why i want to be able to issolate each bag , and then re-connect them back together for normal street use.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
SCOTI

Just keep them separate all the time & you don't have to worry about 'roll'. As long as each bag is isolated from the other/s, whether it be through valves or independently run lines, is all it takes.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote