The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
sprint_9

Need some opinions, 72 as a daily driver.

Ok, here it goes. I recently bought a corvette at a steal of a price, I hadn't originally planned to keep it but am kind of wanting to now. The problem with this is I had originally planned for my 72 to be my summer cruiser/toy. If I keep the vette that would occupy that vehicle type and I would either have to get rid of the truck, which I don't want to do, or get rid of my daily driver car.

So my potential solution to this problem is to get rid of my current car and keep the truck and have it fill in the role of daily driver after I get some kind of restoration done to it.

The issue with this is I live in Iowa and we can have some nasty road conditions in the winter. That is really the only thing hanging me up at the moment. Backing off on billet wheels for painted and not lowing as much might be decent solutions to this problem, thoughts?

I could always ditch the vette and put that profit to my original plan of having the truck as a summer toy, but I would like to have a truck I can use without too much fear of damage.

Im going
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Gotenntitans

Re: Need some opinions, 72 as a daily driver.

I recently got my grandpa's 1967 Ford F100 running again. It's too bad to restore, but it's fun to knock around in and it drives great! I mainly use it as my hunting and fishing truck.

I'm also having my dad's 1987 GMC Sierra fixed up (in the shop now) to give to my son. He'll be 14 on October 8. I'm sure I'll drive it around some until its his for real in two more years.

So I have also been pondering what to do with my daily driver, my 1998 Ford F150. Probably gonna just keep all three running good and drivable: the 67 for bad weather, bad roads, hauling off stuff, the 87 for cruising around town on nice afternoons and maybe an occasional car show, and the 98 for everyday to work and back.

I guess I didn't help you much. I'd keep them both if that's an option. I would hate to get rid of either of mine. I, personally, wouldn't lower it. I like the normal ride height. You can keep the wheels and tires shined up, even in winter unless you live on a gravel road or have a muddy driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Terry Crist

It really depends on which vehicle you would rather drive as the toy vehicle, how far you drive your DD, the difference in the milage between the truck/corvette and your current DD.

Only you can figure that out.
Terry Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Figure out a way to keep all three man!

That's exactly what I am doing: 1972 Chevy truck, 1975 Pontiac Bonneville, 2002 Honda Accord.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Tinkermc

Why not use the Vette driveline in the 72 and have both?
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
sprint_9

Good points, I wouldnt mind keeping all 3 but it just doesnt make financial sense. I put on at an absolute most about 4k miles a year. I have a job really close to where I live and I dont even have to drive to that. It is the main reason I would like to keep both toys, even if one turns into a daily driver, even though its not driven daily.

Believe me the thought of the vette driveline has crossed my mind but I had already planed on a 5.3 lsx in the c10.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Terry Crist

Well, if it were me and the daily drive is not much, I would keep both toys and sell the current DD.

That is of course if there is enough safe seating for the family in the pickup or if you are single and do not load a bunch of people in the DD when you go somewhere.

Too many unknown variables.
Terry Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

It's hard for us to tell you what to do, but keep in mind that studded snow tires and some bags of sand in the bed over the wheels go a long way. With as little as you drive, I'd like to see you be able to keep the Vette and the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Crist View Post
Well, if it were me and the daily drive is not much, I would keep both toys and sell the current DD.

That is of course if there is enough safe seating for the family in the pickup or if you are single and do not load a bunch of people in the DD when you go somewhere.

Too many unknown variables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
It's hard for us to tell you what to do, but keep in mind that studded snow tires and some bags of sand in the bed over the wheels go a long way. With as little as you drive, I'd like to see you be able to keep the Vette and the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes there are alot of variables, its the reason its so hard to make a decision.

I was thinking along the same line as you Mister B, If I throw some weight in the back of the truck it would probably be manageable in the winter. And the truck should have enough seating for what my future family plans are.

The moral of my story should be, don't look on ebay for Corvettes that you don't need, and then stumble across one that no one bids on and think you will just bid it up because you cant stand to see it go for so cheap, and you end up being the high bidder.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
jocko

truck is fine in the winter with weight. if you plan on cross country trips with the family, and don't want them to leave you on the side of the road when your vette or truck breaks down, or go broke on gas, then choose a toy and keep the daily driver. Being responsible sucks. If single, no potential for long trips, well, there you go, vette and truck it is. It's all up to you!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

I don't think I've EVER had back seat passengers in my Accord! I could get along with just my truck easy, except for winter driving.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Absent a frustrated wife or financial necessity, I would say have your cake and ice cream both.

If there isn't a lot of emotional attachment to the truck, perhaps consider selling the truck and vette, take the proceeds and buy a really nice 67-72 4x4. That would give you a nicer truck and solve your winter driving challenges as well.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Bigdav160

I don't live in snow country but I can tell you Corvettes are not good in the snow

I must be older than you guys. I drove a '72 pickup as a daily driver for several years before I sold it for a '72 Suburban.

I've never owned an import or FWD car.. I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
MARKDTN

What year is the Corvette?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
StingRay

I drove my 72 for nearly 15 years as a 4 season daily driver. It was a good truck with 62K on it when I got it. It's a rusty piece of crap waiting to get parted at the back of the yard now. It will live it's life and die like most of these truck did if you use it like one.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Bigdav,

In my opinion, the Japs have perfected the 4 cylinder engine. My Hondas have always gone very-well in the snow with all season tires. Ice is another story, as it is with everything, BUT, I have a set of chains.

Given the ability however, I would drive nothing but pre-73 American muscle!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
wreckedchevy

I used my 69 as a commuter for years 140 miles a day 6 days a week and it's seen some seriously nasty roads in Montana. I kept a pair of cable chains in the truck and never had any issues at all. just slow down and kept a good distance from the rig in front of you. I put 200,000 miles(370,000 total) on it before I put in storage 10 years ago.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
wreckedchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Bigdav,

In my opinion, the Japs have perfected the 4 cylinder engine. My Hondas have always gone very-well in the snow with all season tires. Ice is another story, as it is with everything, BUT, I have a set of chains.

Given the ability however, I would drive nothing but pre-73 American muscle!
funny story here if you look behind my truck you can see my wife's vw jetta the road is slightly uphill and that FWD car couldn't move forward you either had to back down into the intersection or turn the wheel and floor it till it spun around to get out, I never had any problem's going to work in the morning.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
grancuda

I daily drive my '72 & put around 20,000 miles a year. You should have no problem daily driving it.
Posted via Mobile Device
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
wreckedchevy

here's one more pic for you it's the required fuel tank for commuting in Montana. (excuse the garbage in back it was just an old truck then not a classic)
Name:  dscf0035.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  31.0 KB
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

id stick to the original plan and dump the vette. i remember earlier this summer i was driving my truck on the freeway back home from visiting my dad and saw a red vette coming in my rear view mirror next thing you know he was on the passenger side of me, then the driver side and then giving me thumbs ups probably wishing he had bought a truck instead dont get me wrong i love all types of cars and trucks but if i was in your spot i would keep the truck vettes are everwhere. IMO

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
Good points, I wouldnt mind keeping all 3 but it just doesnt make financial sense. I put on at an absolute most about 4k miles a year. I have a job really close to where I live and I dont even have to drive to that. It is the main reason I would like to keep both toys, even if one turns into a daily driver, even though its not driven daily.

Believe me the thought of the vette driveline has crossed my mind but I had already planed on a 5.3 lsx in the c10.
Assuming the Corvette and the truck are both in good working order, using the truck as a DD with the Corvette as Plan B and a bicycle as Plan C would sound pretty reasonable. The key is what condition the vehicles are in.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I drove my 72 for nearly 15 years as a 4 season daily driver. It was a good truck with 62K on it when I got it. It's a rusty piece of crap waiting to get parted at the back of the yard now. It will live it's life and die like most of these truck did if you use it like one.
This is really what has me worried about using the truck as a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
What year is the Corvette?
Quote:
Originally Posted by original-71 View Post
id stick to the original plan and dump the vette. i remember earlier this summer i was driving my truck on the freeway back home from visiting my dad and saw a red vette coming in my rear view mirror next thing you know he was on the passenger side of me, then the driver side and then giving me thumbs ups probably wishing he had bought a truck instead dont get me wrong i love all types of cars and trucks but if i was in your spot i would keep the truck vettes are everwhere. IMO
The Corvette is a 1990, and to go along with Hector it isnt highly desirable at all. It is just something I have had my eye on for a long time, but the truck will definitely be something on a different level.

I guess at this point I will go with the wait and see approach. With time Im sure my decision will become easier to make. I haven't even picked up the Vette yet and am already jumping to conclusions. Thanks everyone for the advise so far.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
ole dollor

auto insurance cost might be a good place to start, what will it cost to insure the vette , against what will it cost to insure the pickup...?
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #25
sprint_9

With my insurance company they both fall under a classic since they are over 20 years old. With that said there arent any mileage restrictions and the rate is based on overall value of the vehicle. Currently the truck is about the same value as the Vette, but the truck will be worth more when I am done with it, so it will cost more to insure. I think the difference will be pretty minor though, for example right now I am paying something like $10 a month for the vette and $7 for the truck, that is full coverage.