The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
stepside83

air over leaf question/air suspension question

i have a 1983 chevy c10 stepside i want to put air suspension on and want to go as low as i can with out cutting the bed or anything not looking to lay frame, i have the plates and cups for the front, not sure if i should do anything else on the front like a spindal and if 2 or 3 inch one? for the back i want to use the ride tech air over leaf kit, i have a flip kit already just the perch the axle sits in on top of the leaf, was wondering what else i can do with the air over leaf to get it low i also have a bolt in notch im gonna use,should i get a lowering schakle? how much? im new to the bags so any help on this would be great and on the pass side of frame how should i go about moving the schock so the bag set up can sit in front of the axle was thinking on just drilloing and puting the schock like the driver side leaning back words any tips pics ideas links anything on any of this would be great, also kind of want a system that controlls the ride height, i know of accuair and stuff but i dint have millions of dollars lol have a family and stuff so is there anything out there that does this but wont cost me a whole of money? thannks again
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: air over leaf question/air suspension question

I originally did air-over-leaf on my truck, and I used a flip kit, c-notch and a drop shackle while removing all but one leaf. This system does work, and got the truck to sit all the way down until the center of the rear end hit the bed. The shocks were a pain to deal with, since they are at a slight angle from the rear end to the frame, they will bind when the axle travels up all the way. I had to move my lower mounts to the u-bolt plate, and it barely squeezed in between the leaf spring and frame.

I have now begun to switch over to Porterbuilt drop member in the rear using a 4-link. I do suggest getting away from the leaf springs. Although cheaper, they do have some issues. It would cause spring wrap, you have to run your bags inboard & have to modify lower shock mounts. The outboard bags will give a little more stability. Both work well, but placed more towards the outside will be a better placement in my opinion. You have some of the components, so you are ahead a little bit, but by the time you buy all the items and spend the time to do the air-over-leaf, I would suggest a Porterbuilt trailing arm kit. You will get a nice ride from the trailing arms, and includes everything to do the job including the shocks and bags. Something like this runs $1,650.

http://www.azproperformance.com/Port...eluxe-Kit.html

To answer your question though, you would need to do the drop shackle, and relocate the lower shock mounts. I would definitely recommend the drop spindle up front as well, to get more drop.

As for a leveling system, AccuAir is a good choice. They do have their rocker e-level which is a little cheaper at $795. Dakota Digital also has their kit with height sensors.

Here is a link to the leveling systems:
http://www.azproperformance.com/Air-...eling-Systems/

Hope this info helped.

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Honestly if you can swing the cash you can get a ridetech bolt in 4 link that will get pretty low with out cutting the bed.As far as cheaper air management system talk to Travis up there he will cut you a deal.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
blazer2007

I made my own brackets and had one air bag in fr. of rearend and one bracket behind rearend so I would,t have to move shocks.Seems to work and thay pump up the rear equal
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
franky69c10
chevy runs deep

Ttt
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 c10 swb soon 2 b on the road...

My LWB is a SWB now
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498241
franky69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote