The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
KY_GMC

GMC w/ Bent Frame

During the dis-assembly of the truck, we noticed that the front frame horns were bent. Once I saw this, the pieces started making sense. The bumper was pushed to the right and the core support didn't fit like it should.

Here is the build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157

Picture is post #6 shows the left horn bows to the left and the core support bracket is bent.

I have been talking to frame shops around here and they are hesitant to straighten the frame now that all of the sheet metal is off of it. They want to straighten the frame to match the sheet metal. Well, the sheet metal wasn't straight to begin with.

Anyway, has anyone had any experience straightening frames without the body on the truck?

One shop mentioned that the new frame racks are all computerized and that translating old shop manuals to computer measurements would take forever.

Looking for some input on how to proceed.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: GMC w/ Bent Frame

Me !OO me me pick me! No,really I often times pull on the frames without the sheetmetal to get it where I think it needs to be but sometimes they can be dead on and the sheet metal just not fit until the frame is moved a little more. Now not ALL shops are computerized on their racks, A lot of the ones made for the smaller newer cars of recent times that are unibody meaning they have no frame like most would think of when you say frame. Those type of machines usally are linked to more precise measuring stuff. I can do a lot of basic pulls on a truck this type with a tram and a tape and lots of others can as well I am not alone on that. The best way to start is find a known square one and take some measurments off it and then your to see how far off you may be if you cant do that go back as far as you can to the front side of the front crossmember and the measure a big"X"going from the K-member to the front outer core support bracket then do the other side that will give you and idea how much it needs to move, keep in mind that number gets cut in half. Also I have pushed those back from the k- member to the end and using a chain to hold them together push opposite direction of the damage [kinda like the wreck in reverse]and have pushed a frame horn or pair for that matter back into position that way. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Xeen

Re: GMC w/ Bent Frame

If you have a frame guy that knows what he is doing it will be no problem.
Mine was bent exactly like that when I got it and the guy had no trouble with it.
My guy was an old school guy that didn't have a frame table, it was a rectangle ring bolted to the floor and he had towers and chains, when I got it back it was lazer straight.

Last edited by Xeen; 09-26-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote