The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
72jenny

Fuel line cleaning help

I bought a 72 C10 lwb that had been sitting for a few years with gas in the tank. As a result the fuel was all gunked up and nasty. I went ahead and took the gas tank out and cleaned it pretty well. However, now that I am ready to start my truck I am noticing that I have gunk in the fuel filter next to the carb still. I think it might be in the lines and possibly a little leftover debris from cleaning the tank.

How you I go about cleaning this? Since I thought I had cleaned the tank I filled it with new gas so I really don't want to have to drain it all. My fuel filter doesn't seem to block most of the gunk so would buying a second fuel filter possibly help as a temporary solution until the little gunk leftover is fully ran through the system?
72jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Fuel line cleaning help

Pull the fuel line off the carb, hook a hose to it and crank over the motor enough to pump fuel into a 2 gallon can or pail. That should be enough to flush out the lines.
Pull the coil wire off if it's a points dizzy so it won't start on the fuel in the carb. Use the flushed gas in your lawnmower so it's not wasted.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I unhook the line at the fuel tank and the intake side of the fuel pump and blow through it with an air hose...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

I'm in the same boat. I let my 1972 stepper sit 7 years. I'm about ready to reassemble as the gas tank has been renewed, the carb rebuilt, the gas line rubber taken off, and the hard lines were blown out with air BUT the garage owner who rebuilt the carb said to check those hard lines for rust OR I'll be facing another carb rebuild.

I'm going to use a rubber hose with funnel and run new gas through my hard lines to check for rust (catching the gas in a glass). IF I have rust, I'm replacing my hard lines. I'm the sort of guy that likes to fix things once and for all rather than just knocking it down.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
72jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I'm in the same boat. I let my 1972 stepper sit 7 years. I'm about ready to reassemble as the gas tank has been renewed, the carb rebuilt, the gas line rubber taken off, and the hard lines were blown out with air BUT the garage owner who rebuilt the carb said to check those hard lines for rust OR I'll be facing another carb rebuild.

I'm going to use a rubber hose with funnel and run new gas through my hard lines to check for rust (catching the gas in a glass). IF I have rust, I'm replacing my hard lines. I'm the sort of guy that likes to fix things once and for all rather than just knocking it down.
That is a good idea. I didn't think there would be so much rust in the lines or I would have done that in the first place. I just rebuilt my carb as well and hoping that times I tried to start it already didn't clog the carb already.

Anyone have ideas on how to better clean the rust out of the fuel lines? Tried to blow air through but didn't do much. I am thinking about possibly taking them out now but didn't really want to if I didn't have to.
72jenny is offline   Reply With Quote