The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
72blazertruck

Dad's 72 2wd Blazer/Pickup rebirthing

Well, this is the beginning of a rebuild that started in 1986 when my Dad and I started transforming what was then his 72 blazer factory 2wd. We had gone through 3-4 different tops, always having the same sagging issue. So, my Dad decided he was over it and wanted to half cab the truck. There were several 4wd versions running around town, so we knew what the finished product would look like. He was a fireman in town, so one Sunday while he was on duty, I drove the truck down to his station, and we proceeded to hack the windshield post of the blazer and the donor cab, and start welding everything back in place. took a day or two, but we got it back on the road as a very short unibody truck. Amazingly all the glass, pickup doors, etc. fit great without much adjusting. I took the truck over after he started another 68 c10 short step project.(which I ended up with as well ,changed to fleetside)......

Flash forward over 25 years......

It went through several different stages, from a 72 front end to a 70, and on to the 68 that you now see.

My Dad passed away last year on October 26th, about a month after I started acquiring pieces/parts. My intention was originally to get it back up and running and give it back to him to put around in, but time obviously wasn't on my side or his I guess.
So, now it's turned into kind of a tribute build, with a few different things that will be done, since technology has advanced quite a bit since we started over 25 years ago. This will be a drawn-out build , since I only have one day off a week, and a big list of honey do's , but I figured it would push me a little more if I put it out there for you to see. I'm sure there will be purists that cringe at taking a perfectly good factory 2wd blazer, and half-cabbing it,(including myself most of the time) but since this is what he was wanted to do back then, I'm going to finish it this time as it was to be.
Here's a couple of shots before, during, and now..enjoy...Here's to you Dad!
Attached Images

72blazertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
cstewart8808

Re: Dad's 72 2wd Blazer/Pickup rebirthing

Sorry to hear about your dad. Truck looks good though. I'll be following this build
Posted via Mobile Device
'05 grand prix gtp
cstewart8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Low Elco

Re: Dad's 72 2wd Blazer/Pickup rebirthing

Short truck looks cool!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote