The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
cojnit
Nothing clever

3 on the tree problem

This is my first transomission like this, and I am having a problem. Not liked I was all that knowledgealbe about the other transmission I have had.

Yesterday I had the rod that goes to the shift lever for 1st and reverse fall out on the top side. this had me stuck in first gear for about 4 blocks till I got home.

When I looked at it I promptly reattached it, and got back in to go to work, only to have a problem shifting it.

Now it is very hard to shift between 1st, neutral, and reverse. like so hard I had to hit it with a hammer to get it into neutral.

I left in neutral and drove in the LA traffic 20 miles with just 2nd and 3rd. It was not fun.

Anyone have an idea what I could do to remedy this? or possible what the cause is? man what a pain in the arse.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

In the past Ihad problems with my three speed and some adjustment on the linkage got it shifting again.

To adjust the three speed you will need some sort of alignment rod, I used a nail cut to the right length. I also used a long board to keep the clutch pedal pressed in while doing the adjustments. The linkage adjustment is made under the hood on the steering column shaft. What you want to do is loosen up the nuts that tighten the guides on the shifting linkage. Get the tranny into neutral, which will have the two guides in line with each other. The guides have a small hole in them and there is also a raised notch on top of the steering column. Lay the nail on the notch and then move the guides until the nail slides through each guide. Then what I did was moved the linkage rods up and down to see how they cycle through the gears and then get back into neutral. Then I tightened the nuts so the guide is secure. Remove the alignment rod, ie the nail, and then cycle the tranny with the shift column in the cab. I had to do a little fine tuning to get the linkage right but it took all of 10 minutes once I figured out what I was doing.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
dubie

I just solved that problem by buying a HURST Indy 3 speed floor shift conversion kit. It is said to be the best floor shift kit on the market. and they are available to you guys in the USA at Jegs or Summit for a mere $80!! WOOO HOOO no more jamming!!!

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #4
mrein3

I solved my jamming 3-speed shifter with a Th350.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
1972ChevyGuy

I just installed a 3 speed indy shifter in one of my trucks. It was very straight foward, remove old linkage, cut a whole in the floor, mount brackets to the tranny and hook up linkage, best 80 bucks I've spent in a while.
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
cojnit
Nothing clever

how hard was it to change to a t350? Did you use the stock column? where did you attach the shift linkage?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #7
cojnit
Nothing clever

jam

You guys think the column shift is the problem? I was thinking it was something to do with the trans itself. I gues I can just diconnect the column shifter linkage and try to shift it by using just the rods, and that should tell me if it is the column I guess!?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:37 PM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

If the shift ears get out of alighnment, she will lock up very easy. My bet is that is your problem rather than a tranny problem.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

A fairly easy way to check if it is just the linkage alignment is to free up the bolts that lock the rods so the rods will move freely and see if you can get the tranny to shift into the different gears by just moving the rods.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #10
western star

Shifter? What shifter? When I was 16 and had no money I drove my 56 Chev with the two shift rods poking through the floor cuz I didn't have the money to buy a shifter. I drove it like that for a month. I had to wear a glove so my hand wouldn't bleed from rubbing it next to the other threaded piece of linkage. I kid you not. When you got wheels you drive it no matter what. No tears people I am older now and still have no money but I do have a nice shifter.....:p
western star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 PM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally posted by western star
Shifter? What shifter? When I was 16 and had no money I drove my 56 Chev with the two shift rods poking through the floor cuz I didn't have the money to buy a shifter. I drove it like that for a month. I had to wear a glove so my hand wouldn't bleed from rubbing it next to the other threaded piece of linkage. I kid you not. When you got wheels you drive it no matter what. No tears people I am older now and still have no money but I do have a nice shifter.....:p
Yea man! Honestly, Hurst puts out some good floor shifters. The Indy is bottom line in the hurst. i am not sure if its still available, but many yrs back, I ran a couple hurst Mystery shifters on the 3 spds. If you can get a new one , or find a used one complete at a swap meet....you will have d@mn a good shifter. my bet is also linkage rather than trans.....good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:35 PM   #12
cdowns

if your cab mounts are bad the cab will sag causing shifting problems,also bad motor or tranny mounts could be a problem
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:43 PM   #13
cojnit
Nothing clever

so I took off the shifter linkage from the rods and the linkage moves easily, Rods difficult.

Great just what I needed.

Anyone got a nice easy answer?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:19 PM   #14
western star

So what you are saying is that the 3 speed trans shifts fine and the shift linkage works fine from the bottom of the steering column when you disconnect right. It's after everything is hooked up your experiencing problems with tight shifts or sloopy feeling. If so it could very well be in the steering column were the linkage runs through it or at the top were the column shift attaches inside. Problem here could be it's worn out. I've seen this before on the 3 on the tree. You would either take the hole thing apart and hope to rebush the linkage or fabricate something or try and find one in good condition. A shifter is the easy way to go but the stock column shift is way cool when they work right. Good Luck
western star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:52 AM   #15
cojnit
Nothing clever

so I got it home

and started to play with the shifting, amd something in the column let go. Now the shift lever just flops all around and wont change the gears.it seems as though something broke in that collar around the shift lever. That collar is pretty loose as well.

calgon take me away!!
Old 07-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #16
mrein3

Quote:
Originally posted by cojnit
how hard was it to change to a t350? Did you use the stock column? where did you attach the shift linkage?
My truck is a 4x4. I bought a used tranny and transfer case out of a Blazer. I also bought the steering column and linkage. I had the th350 rebuilt, installed them about two years ago, and haven't looked back.

I installed a tranny cooler to keep it cool while I'm towing my boat. I also installed a tranny temperature gauge to keep an eye on the situation.

I just bought a new house. In the move process I had my hands on my old 3-speed column and the two shift rods. You are probably better off converting to a floor shifter but if you want to keep it stock I can let the column go cheap. I know I'll never use it.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote