The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
jpnh

^67DartGT440^

This is the last project i worked on before my c-10. I sold it to finish my chopper build. It was a 67 Dodge Dart GT it came from behind a barn in Sarasota springs N.Y. The guy who owned it was drivin it and the oil pressure became non-existent so he parked it behind a barn for years. the guy who i got it from used to drive by it all the time and the owner would never sell it, untill he finally gave in one day before it was too far gone to fix. the guy i bought it from put in a new oil pump/battery, checked the fluids fired it up and it ran good. good oil pressure. it needed love. originally bronze metallic the paint was way faded with a few rust spots, but not too bad. the interior was pretty mint /stock. only 1 blinker worked for lights. exhaust leaked at the headers. valve stems leaked i drove it home thru NY and across VT past Killington ski resort over the Quechee gorge.{what a ride!} the 440 727 391 sure grip combo screwd/sounded good. got the thumbs up many times. was listening to the am radio the whole way ended up listening to the "fisher cats" game around franklin NH .Coming up on Concord the sun was going down Went thru the tolls and was fiddlin with the tunes and the tune D.o.a. by the band bloodrock came on.{it was just like out of a movie.} screwin thru some back roads tryn to make it home blew away the truck followin me {gotta thank ed for goin out there n followin me back}Finally made it to a mile from my house bout that time it was pretty dark and i was runnin on fumes with my one blinker blinkin got pulled over by the cops had to leave the car after goin so far. was able to pull it into an old defunct gas station down the road. no ticket. had to wait while they checked the vin numbers. went n got it in the morning at first light. Didnt want to chance it. man id do it again in a second if i had the chance.-Jeff {Ill post more pix when i resize them.]
Attached Images

jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
jpnh

Re: ^67DartGT440^

Mo Dart pix,
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
NONHOG

I have a soft spot for Darts. 1st car was a 68 GT. Total mess. RH side was creamed. (I didn't do it ) Also had a low mile 1 owner 67 GT.
Thanks for posting. More please!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
jpnh

The "power bulge" hood in the pic came off a 69 dart that my brother bought for the 340 motor. after that the car sat in the yard. it was severly twisted not worth doing anything with.i pulled the hood off in 1980 to try n save it. i was about 10 and i knew it would be cool someday. i put it in my parents barn it was a pain to get off all the bolts were frozen n spinning but i werent taking no for an answer.it was pretty heavy at the time doin it myself. it was pretty good shape had to fill a couple dents and do some fixn on the nuts where it mounts to the hinges plus i had to skim where someone scratched 340 in big numbers in the center of the hood at the junkyard"{stupid} for some reason the 69 latch was different from the 67 had to switch them. felt good putting it on the car all those years later-jeff
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
67shortie
Green club

Hellava car, love it. My first car was a 67 Coronet RT 440, tons of power for a 16 year old, wish I still had it today

Enjoy it, cars like this only come around once and a while, enjoy it

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
jpnh

the 67 Dart is kind of a 1 year specific car there are alot of parts that are 67 only where the 68/69 are interchangeable found that out the hard way. 67s had no headrests like the 68/69 the paddock helped me out on some things found a guy through ebay who is into the 67s got some parts there. the car came with cragers they were beat ended up goin with some later mopar rallies by wheel vintiques they make some nice reproduction wheels had the exhaust done it had the cool cppa headers very tight but they were the right ones for this car "skips exhaust" in plastow nh hooked me up. hes very knowledgeable about these old cars not an easy job to do.a tight squeeze.gotta thank my buddy matt too for helping me dial it in he helped restore the wiring / lights helped me adjust the ride height i didnt like the big rake i shaved the antenna/fixed the lower front fender where they always rust out put in a new headliner replaced the door handles took the 67 fender trim off and filled the holes fixed a hole in the trunk floor put in a new alternator ignition module fixed the gas guage had to clean the fuze box real good with a small wire brush. corroded tedious but it had to be done. i painted the hardtop instead of putting the vynyl back on the original stuff was long gone.ended doing a new windshield used a 68 style seal for much easier /readily available/better than the 67 one the rest of the glass was cool put in new sweepers before scratching them up with the old ones got the 440 emblems for the hood sprayed it with epoxy primer then primer sealer got the new GT side badges/pentastars.this is what it looked like when i was done.man i miss this car.it was a ripper.-jeff
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
jpnh

The 67 also had a different trunk panel than the 68/69.this one was a clean example.the back glass is curved/back lit. hard too find glad it was good not foggy like the windshield.
Attached Images

Last edited by jpnh; 10-05-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: wasn't done yet dammit.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
jpnh

Theres something about an A body mopar with a big block in it./3.91 gears good for burning the tires /doin donuts. its still a big car but its smaller/stubbier than the other mopar muscle cars of the time. you could get the GTS model in 67 it came with the 383 had the gt bumble bee stripe. Mr norms would let you get the 440 or the 426 hemi in 68/69 special order. im proud to say i had a hand in saving this car from oblivion. got pulled over by the cops on numerous occasions, not that they were catching me ripping it up, but just to say wow, where did this come from? i used to have one back in high school, what r u running under the hood?its funny how people gravitated to this car young and old. i drove it for a couple seasons i still see it here n there for sale for an astronomical amount sprayed orange i dont like the way he did the stripe in the rear to each his own i would have gone with the stock gt stripe the guy certainally took the paint to the next level though. beautiful car.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
NONHOG

My 67 GT, slant six, column shift auto w/ buckets. original owner told me
"Simoniz it once a year!" They did since new. Paint was very thin but nice.
One of the few I really miss.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
jpnh

very nice/clean {wish i could have kept m mine too dosent always work that way.}-jeff
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
jpnh

Check this episode out.-Jeffhttp://youtu.be/3gBxdfUs8v0