The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Gotenntitans

Opinions wanted on my ongoing trim ring battle with Wheel Vintiques

Hello all, I've posted several posts about my Wheel Vintiques 37 Series Corvette Rallys. I love my wheels, but their website says the wheels are "machined so that all of your factory accessories will fit." Well, my 1987 factory trim rings won't. In fact, all I did was scratch my new rallys.

Anyway, after three weeks of general b.s., I finally threatened to talk directly with the boss and they finally got 2 rings in the mail yesterday and they fit perfectly. Now......I need 2 more for a matching set. I don't think I should have to pay for them either.

Opinions wanted. Am I being a hard-to-please customer or am I right?

GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Opinions wanted on my ongoing trim ring battle with Wheel Vintiques

Have you tried corvette trim rings on them? The way I read the description leads me to believe corvette trim rings should fit. It says factory GM trim rings. Since they are corvette wheels I assume they mean corvette trim rings.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Gotenntitans

I haven't tried real Corvette rings, but the wheels are made for trucks. My rings fit the 15x10s on the back, but scratched up the 15x8s up front. I have spoken with WV several times and they are very nice and seem helpful and say they'll email me........then 3 or 4 days pass and nothing. So I call again and here it starts again.

I just want 4 rings that match and fit their 37 series Corvette Rally wheels that are now mounted on my truck. I think they should get it right, since their website advertises a false statement about the accessories for these wheels. We shall see. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
71swb4x4

I am not finding that wording on their site, so I am not as fired up as you. Can you point me to the wording? The only thing I can find is the GM wording, and I think it's clear if you are buying corvette style ralleys, that they mean corvette ralley rings fit them.
If I can find the wording that you have quoted in your first post, then I am on board with you as long as your current ralley rings are original.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Gotenntitans

Go to Summit Racing and look up Wheel Vintiques 37 Series wheels. Scroll down and you'll see where it says "machined so that your factory accessories will fit." The people at WV agree it should not say that because they don't fit. Had it not indicated this, I would have ordered some of their rings that went with the wheels.

Starting to think I just shoulda went chrome or aluminum slots instead. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Gotenntitans

I just had a thought and called Summit Racing. Their guy told me that they have had lots of issues with trim rings and these wheels. He says WV should have sent me 4 rings and that would have ended it. He said I should call them back Monday and their person would call WV and get it resolved. Sounds good to me. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Have you tried corvette trim rings on them? The way I read the description leads me to believe corvette trim rings should fit. It says factory GM trim rings. Since they are corvette wheels I assume they mean corvette trim rings.
That's how I interpreted it too. The wheels may be 5x5 but the style is Corvette, the hoops are designed for the Corvette style rings. I don't know if truck rally rings would or should work but car rings do.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Desert1957

Interesting, ALL my "Corvette Style" 15 X 8 ralleys had 4 clips. Not the smaller trim ring expanded saw tooth that complete circles the trim ring.

One style clips to the wheel rim lip, The other scratches the inner rim area.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  x..jpg
Views: 921
Size:  27.7 KB

Maybe the mistake is yours????

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Gotenntitans

Maybe it is? I never saw the 4 clip ones before. The two that they did finally send we're the many inner clip ones that do scratch the rims. Why would they acknowledge that the factory ones do not fit and it was a mistake, if the real Corvette rally rings are what they meant. They could have said that factory Corvette rally rings will work, but factory truck rings won't. Since they are truck rally wheels, I think they should have at least thought someone would make that mistake. The mistake may be mine, now I'm kinda thinking it may have been and WV IS kinda agreeing with me instead of calling attention to my error. Sometimes it is easier to do that. If that is what they meant, I think they should have been more specific. Anyway, I'll ask them over the phone tomorrow morning. Thanks. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado

Last edited by Gotenntitans; 10-06-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
71swb4x4

It seems to me that your beef is with Summit Racing. They added the wording that you have at the top. Wheel Vintiques doesn't have that wording, Summit does.
I own a business, and if I tell my client that a product will do something and my supplier hasn't told me it will do it, then I darn well better make sure I am right. If I am not right it is my problem, not my supplier's problem.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Gotenntitans

Your opinions are insightful. You are probably right. Anyway, I feel like someone needs to send me two more trim rings that match. We'll see tomorrow. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Having the same problems with my trim rings, they fit the 15x10 rally but not the 15x8's, ordered my rings from Jegs, I also have the 37 series rally rim and these should fit but don't, Titan are these the same rings you ordered?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Wheel-Vintique...oductId=748989
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
Having the same problems with my trim rings, they fit the 15x10 rally but not the 15x8's, ordered my rings from Jegs, I also have the 37 series rally rim and these should fit but don't, Titan are these the same rings you ordered?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Wheel-Vintique...oductId=748989
Man, I raised so much he11 over this with them that they sent me two for free. Wheel Vintiques number on the plain white box is 10809 in black hand written sharpie, then there's number 40065 in red printed on the end of the box. I don't know what they sent, except that they are wide, look cool, cover the shoulder, and fit perfectly on the 15x8 fronts. As I stated though, they don't match my two originals that did fit the back. The two people at WV that I've been dealing with are Hector (nice, but not much help) and Peggy (nice and got the ball rolling). I'm calling Summit AND WV tomorrow on my lunch hour and I'll update tomorrow what I find out. You and I are not alone in this. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Jake Wade

I had the same problem with the WV trim rings. I even called WV themselves and asked for the correct part # for the 37 series wheels.

Ordered them from Jegs and they don't fit, just scratched my wheels up real bad. Ended up using some Summit brand rings that worked.

I am really disappointed with the Quality of the wheels themselves. I have had these on for about two months and have rust where the center meets the outer due to lack of paint/powdercoat.

Large sticker on wheels that say not responsible for rusting.

That there should have told me to send them back. They should have mention of this in their description everywhere they are sold.

Never again
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
Man, I raised so much he11 over this with them that they sent me two for free. Wheel Vintiques number on the plain white box is 10809 in black hand written sharpie, then there's number 40065 in red printed on the end of the box. I don't know what they sent, except that they are wide, look cool, cover the shoulder, and fit perfectly on the 15x8 fronts. As I stated though, they don't match my two originals that did fit the back. The two people at WV that I've been dealing with are Hector (nice, but not much help) and Peggy (nice and got the ball rolling). I'm calling Summit AND WV tomorrow on my lunch hour and I'll update tomorrow what I find out. You and I are not alone in this. GTT
Keep us posted
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
Axle

My '73 Nova came with those dastardly rim clip trim rings on its rally's. If you are using conventional wheel weights, you'll need that trim ring nearby to split any weights that may end up where the clip is (in other words, stay with your wheels, and watch 'em on the balancer and check before it comes off the balancer). I always assumed they where "early" trim rings vs "late" trim rings, breakover to the "late" style sometime in the mid to late 70's.

As for 'factory accessories', I interpret that to mean whatever accessories are compatable with that generation wheel, unless it explicitly state compatable with late model trim rings I ain't [believing] it.

I'd try to get a deep discount on two trim rings. Summit is feeding you a line that WV should have given you four rings. They want you off the phone and not be their problem any more. If you bought them from summit, they should give you two additional trim rings that fit. And update their listing to indicate you need to use early trim rings.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
Gotenntitans

On hold right now as Summit calls WV and figures this out. We shall see momentarily.............
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
slinginrods

You asked for an opinion at the top of the post so here's mine.there are tons of different trim rings its going to be impossible for the wheels to be combat able with every one.just buy rings that fit ,they will probably look better anyway.but I'm in the world of auto service and most people know in this day and age the louder you whine the more you can get .if you really think they OWE you something then carry on. Sounds like your splitting hairs to me
slinginrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
slinginrods

Oh by the way I have some chrome wv rally's they rusted up faster than the swap meet Chinese rally's I had. Aftermarket stuff normally is a compromise.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginrods View Post
You asked for an opinion at the top of the post so here's mine.there are tons of different trim rings its going to be impossible for the wheels to be combat able with every one.just buy rings that fit ,they will probably look better anyway.but I'm in the world of auto service and most people know in this day and age the louder you whine the more you can get .if you really think they OWE you something then carry on. Sounds like your splitting hairs to me
I mostly agree. Yes the description on Summit's website could have been worded better, but do they really OWE you anything because of it? I don't know. Some of the problem is the way you interpreted their description. I'd say if somebody sent you two rings that work, you're half way there. Go buy the other two that match and let it go.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Gotenntitans

I asked for opinions and I appreciate them. Maybe I'm whining, but I would have ordered rings along with the derby caps if I thought I needed to. I think 71swb4x4 is exactly right. It's not WV, but Summit who my beef is with. They needed to come across with the rings to make this right and they did. I could let it go, but they got it straight and 2 more are in the mail tonight heading my way.

Malo, the part number is 3002-A-1. They fit perfectly. Hope this ends it.

Thanks to all. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
slinginrods

America at its finest
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginrods View Post
America at its finest
I think so, Slinginrods. I was raised to always do what's right and do what you say you're going to do. I am no saint, but I do a lot for others. I treat people fairly and expect that in return.

I do concede that my problem was with Summit and not Wheel Vintiques, but I don't think I misunderstood their wording. I ordered the truck wheels for a 1987 GM full size truck; I told the man that's what they were going on when I ordered them. I ordered the wheels and derby caps because I wanted them. I did not order the rings because they advertised that the factory accessories would fit, thus saving me some money. That's what I went by and only after mounting them and scratching (damaging) them in trying to fit the factory rings on, did I find out that their guarantee, as part of their advertisement, was untrue. By then, I was left with newly mounted nonreturnable scratched wheels. Yes, I was aggravated. This was on September the 7th, then WV takes a month getting me 2 rings! I received them October the 4th. Yes, more aggravation! I don't know why they didn't just tell me to contact Summit with the correct part number. Had they told me to do that, I surely would have taken that route. They, WV, acknowledged that they knew that factory rings would not fit. Why wouldn't they get Summit (and Jegs too by the way) to remove that from their website? I sure would if I was them. Its false advertising and they know its there. It may not be on the WV website, but they know that statement is there advertising their wheels on other websites where their product is being sold.

They dragged their feet, but they were somewhat professional about it and were always very nice. I, myself, always tried to be professional too and not a butt about it. It appears that it all will work out.

They did something for me (produced some wheels that I liked); I did something for them (purchased 4 of those wheels plus the derby caps). I was unhappy with an incorrect statement about those wheels only after I could not return them if I wanted to, and they fixed the problem.

Good gosh, I hope after all this they don't rust up! If so, that would be a very much sarcastic "America at its finest." GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
I think so, Slinginrods. I was raised to always do what's right and do what you say you're going to do. I am no saint, but I do a lot for others. I treat people fairly and expect that in return.

I do concede that my problem was with Summit and not Wheel Vintiques, but I don't think I misunderstood their wording. I ordered the truck wheels for a 1987 GM full size truck; I told the man that's what they were going on when I ordered them. I ordered the wheels and derby caps because I wanted them. I did not order the rings because they advertised that the factory accessories would fit, thus saving me some money. That's what I went by and only after mounting them and scratching (damaging) them in trying to fit the factory rings on, did I find out that their guarantee, as part of their advertisement, was untrue. By then, I was left with newly mounted nonreturnable scratched wheels. Yes, I was aggravated. This was on September the 7th, then WV takes a month getting me 2 rings! I received them October the 4th. Yes, more aggravation! I don't know why they didn't just tell me to contact Summit with the correct part number. Had they told me to do that, I surely would have taken that route. They, WV, acknowledged that they knew that factory rings would not fit. Why wouldn't they get Summit (and Jegs too by the way) to remove that from their website? I sure would if I was them. Its false advertising and they know its there. It may not be on the WV website, but they know that statement is there advertising their wheels on other websites where their product is being sold.

They dragged their feet, but they were somewhat professional about it and were always very nice. I, myself, always tried to be professional too and not a butt about it. It appears that it all will work out.

They did something for me (produced some wheels that I liked); I did something for them (purchased 4 of those wheels plus the derby caps). I was unhappy with an incorrect statement about those wheels only after I could not return them if I wanted to, and they fixed the problem.

Good gosh, I hope after all this they don't rust up! If so, that would be a very much sarcastic "America at its finest." GTT
I think I speak for everybody that posted on this thread. We DO understand your frustration, but we all have been through something like this with a lot of different parts.

This is why this Forum can help you with almost anything related to your truck. Pics and Advise.

I did not mention in my earlier posting that the wide "Corvette" style trim rings that I pictures were stainless steel and will NEVER rust.

Please don't lump us all into one category and assume no one will help you.

Desert

PS: This is why I personally deal with "JEGS" only
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Interesting, ALL my "Corvette Style" 15 X 8 ralleys had 4 clips. Not the smaller trim ring expanded saw tooth that complete circles the trim ring.

One style clips to the wheel rim lip, The other scratches the inner rim area.

Maybe the mistake is yours????

Desert
Depends on the vintage (in this case, meaning time of manufacture).

The original rings for my '74 Chevelle have the outer clips in four locations.

I believe all the repop rings have the scratchers in the inner rim area.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote