The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
BrianG

Tailgate patch panel

I have a fairly decent tailgate which I will end up having to use on my build if I am not able to find a better one locally. The bottom inside of the gate is rotted on the side that faces the inside of the box in a couple of places. I have looked but have not been able to find a patch panel for the tailgate. Does anyone know if one is made for our trucks. Seems like a it would be a very popular part and extremely easy to produce. I'd try to make one myself however the bend that is in there has a slight radius and I don't really know how well I'd be able to reproduce this on a brake.

If anyone knows if a patch panel for the inside bottom of our gates is available, please pass on the source.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Tailgate patch panel

Its a shame you are so far away as I have a decent tailgate that I wont be using .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
BrianG

Due to lack of response, I'm assuming that there just isn't a panel to fix this commonly rusty spot on out tailgates. So, I'll rephrase my question... What do you all do to fix the inside bottom of a tailgate when the cancer starts to get to it there but the rest of the gate is in good shape???
Old 10-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
MLB57

They do make the inner and outer repair panels I think they measure 10 inches, they sell them on ebay and I cant remember the company that sells them right off hand. They are about 90 bucks a piece, been thinking about buying aftermarket tailgate and cutting it up
MLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=370517726266
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=370521619756
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
BrianG

Thanks MLB57 I was able to find it on ebay and actually able to back track it to another source called Classic Sheet metal:
http://www.classicsheetmetal.com/677...emId28=9813408
Looks like the part is actually made by Schott. Never heard of them myself. $92 to $94 seems like a lot to me. If I were going that much I'd spend another hundred and get a whole gate. I don't need it to say Chevrolet because I'm putting the woodgrain panel on there. The patch panel that is available looks like it actually has a lot more than I really need. I think I'll try my best to bend something up until I find a replacement. Unless anyone else has some good ideas.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I have a fairly decent tailgate which I will end up having to use on my build if I am not able to find a better one locally. The bottom inside of the gate is rotted on the side that faces the inside of the box in a couple of places. I have looked but have not been able to find a patch panel for the tailgate. Does anyone know if one is made for our trucks. Seems like a it would be a very popular part and extremely easy to produce. I'd try to make one myself however the bend that is in there has a slight radius and I don't really know how well I'd be able to reproduce this on a brake.

If anyone knows if a patch panel for the inside bottom of our gates is available, please pass on the source.
It would help to know if you have a stepside or wide bed.

If I was to fabricate that patch I'd just use a length of pipe or preferably solid round bar as a dolly and start hammering.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
BrianG

Sorry, it is a wide bed. I was thinking of doing something like you suggested Gale. I'm just not that good at body work.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
gale

Take your time and don't use too big a hammer and it will look good.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote