The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Youey

new to board have some questions

hey just picked up a 69 c10 stepside, runs and drives just like everything its a project. my first biggest thing is under dash the wiring looks like crap and i think its time to replace it. under the hood its been replaced already. Anyone know where i can find that? anyway my biggest problem i want to figure out is why the headlights dont work but all the markers do. i replaced dimmer switch still nothing. i dont even get power to headlight plugs. thats one of my main concerns at the moment. plans for the truck is to restore it, make it a someone daily driver. ill have alot of questions as i go through the truck as its my first c10 that i will restore. ive restored a 1970 mustang that i did a few years back.
Youey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: new to board have some questions

Welcome to you from eastern parts of Arkansas. I know you will find a wealth of help on this site , I hang here and the paint and body as I have a body shop and help a few people out over there from time to time. American autowire is the place I would look to for a factory type replacement wiring harness. I have used them in the past and they are top notch. There are several board members here that are venders for them and all are pretty good, Southern Kentucky classics come to mind real quick I have used them before excellent service, as well with LMC they have every thing. Just look in the vendors section for a few ads then find the one that feels right for you. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
mmiddle

Welcome to the board! '69-'70's are near and dear to my heart.
American auto wire is a good choice. Check for a blown fuse on those lights.

Lots of information here and great people.
Look forward to some pictures... Remember it didn't happen if there are no pictures
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Youey

Oh it happened all right drove 4 hours through the Catskills to go pick this one up. I tested That the lights actually work and they do just nothing from the switch. What activates power from the switch which wire? I wanna try wanna try and get things to work so I can restore/ drive the snot out of it
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Youey

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  33.0 KB
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
FL71C10

I'm not a wiring expert, but I believe the power to the headlights goes thru the headlight switch, which apparently causes a lot of load on the switch. There is a member on here that sells a kit to have the primary power for the lights run through a relay, and then just be switched by the headlights. Apparently it takes the load off the switch and makes the lights brighter too. I plan to do this to my truck when I get close to putting it back together. Here is a link to their sale thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=headlight

Looks like a nice truck, have fun with it.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Youey

How does that connect to the dimmer switch? Curious bc that's all I may need to get them going again
Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
MARKDTN

If your wiring is really hacked up, it may be time to replace it. Me personally I would pony up for a factory harness from 'Lectric Limited or M&H, or possibly a really nice used one if you can find one. You can buy the do-it-yourself style from Painless and others, but if you do not take the time to chase down factory connections and solder and shrink wrap and route then you are wasting your time IMHO. You may save on the front end, but if your time is worth anything, it will cost more in the long run. The only time I would consider doing those is on a heavily modified truck with lots of add-ons that need wiring. Just buy a factory correct harness and replace it and be done. My .02
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Youey

Someone replaced from voltage regulator to firewall plug with a m and h factory replacement I'm gonna have to give them a call and see what it costs.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
ksshane

Sorry.. I know nothing about wiring, and very little else. Just wanted to welcome you to the site.

That is one nice looking truck you got there. Lots of great helpful people here that Im sure can help you with any issue you may find
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youey View Post
Oh it happened all right drove 4 hours through the Catskills to go pick this one up. I tested That the lights actually work and they do just nothing from the switch. What activates power from the switch which wire? I wanna try wanna try and get things to work so I can restore/ drive the snot out of it
Like you, I wanted to play with an old truck so the first thing I did was spend about $40.00 on one of these. It has all of the wiring diagrams for your truck and it will show you how things were put together at the factory. It was the very best investment I made in my truck.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
1968k10blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Like you, I wanted to play with an old truck so the first thing I did was spend about $40.00 on one of these. It has all of the wiring diagrams for your truck and it will show you how things were put together at the factory. It was the very best investment I made in my truck.
where did you get one of those? I have been looking everywhere!
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Tinkermc

Welcome to the Forum
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968k10blue View Post
where did you get one of those? I have been looking everywhere!
Welcome to the forum! Next time look a bit harder. Most people here aren't going to do your research for you.

Faxon Auto Library on CD Rom 30.00
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/C...FY97QgodsmQARA

Amazon ---Hardcopy $40.95
1967-1972 Chevy Truck GMC Assembly Manual Reprint... 1967-1972 Chevy Truck GMC Assembly Manual Reprint...
Ecklers Trucks--Hardcopy $41.99
http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/1967-72...ly-manual.html

Tuckers truck parts---hardcopy $33.99
http://www.tuckersparts.com/Factory-...l-L-6772F.html
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
1968k10blue

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! Next time look a bit harder. Most people here aren't going to do your research for you.

Faxon Auto Library on CD Rom 30.00
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/C...FY97QgodsmQARA

Amazon ---Hardcopy $40.95
1967-1972 Chevy Truck GMC Assembly Manual Reprint Pickup Suburban Blazer Jimmy: General Motors: Amazon.com: Books

Ecklers Trucks--Hardcopy $41.99
http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/1967-72...ly-manual.html

Tuckers truck parts---hardcopy $33.99
http://www.tuckersparts.com/Factory-...l-L-6772F.html
I may be slightly google illiterate but I was looking everywhere for one, of course I was trying to shy away from Ebay cause I don't really trust it, don't get me wrong though I know people get slot of good stuff there. But anyway thanks it will help alot for my hackjob of a truck
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

The only thing with that shop manual is the pictures are so dark it's hard to see anything. I guess the copier was set to "dark" and that's the result for the reprint.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US IT WAS A STEPSIDE????? (Mine is a stepper and I don't want it any other way!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
hey just picked up a 69 c10 stepside, ..... ill have alot of questions as i go through the truck as its my first c10 that i will restore. ive restored a 1970 mustang that i did a few years back.

Youey, I'm not big on *advice*...But in this case, I have to chime in on what *I* did that worked for me.

First, Fitz is more than correct. Get a book...Get THAT book. I only have the other two basic books for back-up of diagrams, etc..
I also got a year-specific electrical diagram pamphlet from Early Classic Enterprises.

Next, it's coming in to winter. So, I strongly suggest that you download the full color wiring diagram, an offering from a gracious
Forum Member. Print it out. In color. Paste it together in the best way you can.
I laminated the 8.5 x 11 sheets and cut and pasted them together with clear packing tape.

Now, you have something to do on those cool/cold winter nights in front of the fire. Instead of TV, you and your favorite beverage
(mine's coffee...just 'cause I...Well, never mind...). Now, play school.

There are no stupid questions. Rest assured, I'm the most appropriate person to "say" that.

On a related note, I've wired two trucks from front to back with M & H harnesses. I wouldn't use anything else. They are easy plug and play.
And even much, much easier if you know what you are hooking up when you make the connections.

My $.02

Welcome to the best place in the world of 67-72's

And, oh, Here's your truck turned right-side up.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
mmiddle

I bought my BIG BOOK from amazon. Got it used for about half price.

The light switch has a #10 red supplying power to it.

Nice truck I love fat bottomed girls!
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Youey

Thanks for all the advice and yes it's a stepside. After screwing with it for about half hour today found that the switch for the high beams is bad causing no headlights. Easy enough
Replace it and it should be good. Cleaned up motor today dropped some new plugs in it, ran some mystery oil down the carb runs a lot better now going to change cap and rotor also just for fun and maybe wires. Won't be long I'll be doing the body work nice to work on that type of stuff in the fall. Summer sucks to do body work too hot. But anyway there's always light at the end of the tunnel!!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #21
swamp rat

Quote:
I bought one of these about 10-15 years ago, i had put it away and forgot i had it until someone mentioned in a post how valuable they are, i dragged it out again and remembered how much i love the thing, i think i got mine thru LMC?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
swamp rat

This link will help you too, download the manuals you need to your computer.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=558016

Also, for years i have had a Chilton repair manual and hated the piss pore mechanical drawings so i recently got a Haynes manual, it had much better photo's and i like it better, but i have found discrepancy's between then in areas like torque spec's.

The download is factory and i trust it more, but there are times i don't wanna drag my dirty self inside the house and sit in my good chair and research stuff with my dirty hands so i like having the other manuals.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL71C10 View Post
I'm not a wiring expert, but I believe the power to the headlights goes thru the headlight switch, which apparently causes a lot of load on the switch. There is a member on here that sells a kit to have the primary power for the lights run through a relay, and then just be switched by the headlights. Apparently it takes the load off the switch and makes the lights brighter too. I plan to do this to my truck when I get close to putting it back together. Here is a link to their sale thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=headlight

Looks like a nice truck, have fun with it.
i would spend the 12 or 15 bucks and get a new headlight switch, and check the grounds from the plugs, i had a problem where the high beams would not work but the low beams would, turned out the be a bad connection in the firewall connector in the back of the fuse block,, coming from the dimmer switch
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote