The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

John Lees Long Bed Exhaust for Short Bed Trucks (I6) with On the Shelf Parts

Exhaust is in and its wicked mellow...put in a 25" thrush, Walker Head and tail pipe and a Roli straight thru coupler. About 2.5 hrs work and no leaks!!

The new and the old layin out on the floor. New looks a lot nicer.

The new Walker 48111 headpipe has a tulip fitting. Counter man says toss the exhaust doughnut, no sealer...just cinch it up snug with the factory ring and go drive.

Here is the 2" ID straight through coupler...why? Cause the Walker 48111 is for the long bed. No short bed pipes made these days. I'll section it and put it back together with the Roli coupler. I marked the mid point of the coupler and the total depth so I can drive it on and leave half for the rear of the headpipe after I shorten it up a bit more.

Coupler is on the front half of the newly cut headpipe, I cut it just a few inches behind the first pipe hanger. Just gettin all the slip on stuff slipped on so I don't have to chase dropped nuts and washers under the truck.

A bit of tape to hold the flange up so it won't slide down the pipe when I put the head pipe in from below.

A couple bungies keep things still while I line up the tulip in the manifold and get the nuts on finger tight.

Loosely positioning the first hanger...I'll shorten it up and tighten it up after bringing the rear of the head pipe into position.

I went ahead and fished that 25" thrush on to the Walker tail pipe, clamped it snug and fished it up over the rear axle from the front side of the axle.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: John Lees Long Bed Exhaust for Short Bed Trucks (I6) with On the Shelf Parts

This is how much I removed from the center of the head pipe to shorten it up from long bed for short bed use...just shy of 11".

Muffler hanger for rear of the muffler in place and a bit too long, I shortened it by half to bring the exhaust up above the LR truck arm.

Everything tightened up. Exhaust hangers total four (forward of union, front of muff, rear of muff, tail pipe), clamps total four (two for union, two for muffler front and rear) Head pipe is in place - hope it seals with no gasket and no goo. I drew it up snug +...what ever that torque spec is...snug plus, thats funny. Ammo QA would kick my butt for that one.

Looking from the headpipe back to the union where I cut the head pipe to remove that almost 11" of unneeded pipe.

Ohh, thats pretty. Wonder if it'll sound as mellow as I remember?

Finally, the taip pipe in the right place, at the DS rear corner. A neat chrome turn down to finish it out.

That looks just right.

Closed Thread