The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
SCOTI

What do you use for . . ....

your front end bumpstops? I'm currently using a set of 205/75/15's that are working nicely to keep the control arms off the pavement . . .... they kinda' add a certain 'thrill' when you hit a big dip on the hi-way though .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:34 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Scoti,
You might want to give Roger a call and ask what he did on my truck. They had some on there, but appearently our little trip and dip down the road killed the one on your side.

Keith said Roger ordered a set from Air Ride to replace what he had on there. I haven't talked to him to find out if they were on yet or not.

The new cat converter was supposed to be here this week. Hopefully, they exhaust will be on, and the front end aligned soon...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:32 AM   #3
SCOTI

I have some of the energy suspension short (almost flat) style that I intend to put on, but my guess is their not really going to be that effective. Since the top of the tire hits before the suspension bottoms, I need to see how much more travel I could get w/o the inner wheel tub interference. It's not that bad. It only rubs on big dips so it's not like it's a constant thing & I would rather the tire buzz the top of the well than the a-arm scrape the concrete.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-10-2003, 10:04 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I think you are going to need a bit more than the shortie stop on there. I haven't looked up the one they are putting on my 77, but I know it has some height to it.

Yeah, I can't stand the sound of scraping metal when I hit a bump. While some guys think it's cool to scrape, I have seen the damage it can cause, and don't want any part of it.

Did you have to trim your A-arms, or did they clear alright with you wheels...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
SCOTI

Well, remember how your factory steering/bumpstop tower was removed? Mine is still intact, so I might be able to fabricate something to sit on the top of it. As for the arms, I haven't trimmed them yet because I'm still running the 6" steelies for now (waiting on the locking lugs & full coverage insurance before the good wheels get left on overnight) & there is no interference problem w/them. I did check the others while they were mounted & will prob have to trim about 3/4 " back on each lip.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG