The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
dfj73

Air bags for a daily driver?

I have a question and may be silly but is air bags good for a daily driver?
dfj73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: Air bags for a daily driver?

Lots of 18 wheelers have air suspension systems with a million miles. I don't have one, but properly done I don't see why not on DD.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
67ctener

I just bagged my truck and don't think I will have it any other way now. I'm living the low life from here on out
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Syndrome

Not to highjack your thread but I was kind of wondering the same thing, except I was wondering about what ride heights you can do with air bags. Can you go from stock height and down from there a few inches? I've never had anything to do with airbags so I'm completely clueless on it.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
dfj73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Not to highjack your thread but I was kind of wondering the same thing, except I was wondering about what ride heights you can do with air bags. Can you go from stock height and down from there a few inches? I've never had anything to do with airbags so I'm completely clueless on it.
I was wondering the same lol I have bags in my duramax but that's for hauling and it jacks the rearend up quite a bit when I put about 50 psi them while towing about 12,000lbs but what I'm thinking is the valves and compressor keep the bags a set height and but also adjustable for what you want. I think that's the route I'm going in my build. I have most of the body done so I am water blasting the frame and then assembly will be after
Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
67ctener

I'm no expert on bags by any means but have a basic understanding. For your front bags you can run a bag plate (bolts to upper spring pocket) and a lower cup that sits in the lower spring pocket. Mixed with a drop spindle this will set you pretty low and as long as your backspace and tire size allows you shouldn't have to touch you inner fenders. Out back if you have trailing arm set up you pretty much bolt a bag in place of your coil. With a small in frame notch you can set your truck level with the front. You also will need shock relocates and adj. panhard bar. Air management can be 500-2500 depending what you wanna go with. This is where my little bit of knowledge runs out since I havent done anything with it yet. Travis at properformance or Nate at porterbuilt are very knowlegable on the subject and may be worth it to shoot them a pm. Hope this helps you a little
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
slowcpe

Good thread as I too am interested. Keep debating on static/air ride for my '67. One minutes its static then the next it's air. I'm building a driver/hot rod.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
dfj73

I just got a great deal on a truck with a brand new system in it so for less than half the price I have a bag system guess it was an easy decision. I'll start a build thread once I get rolling as I am doing it all myself
Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
MSHax

I semi-daily drive my truck, averaging about 250 miles a week on air ride. Rides WAY smoother than the factory 3/4 ton coils, and I'm adjustable for those steep driveways at Chipotle.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
MSHax

Quote:
Just noticed what you were asking. As long as you're not locked up, and not on the bumpstops, the ride is fantastic. Here are 2 pics, one is all the way up, the other is on the bump stops. It's MUCH easier to get underneath a truck lifted, and one lowered, I was working on it, I would never ride all the way up.

Never actually measured it, but it seems to be about 7" or so. I have 22s so it seems like there isn't much wheel well anyway.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
jorgensensc

MSHax, I have 3/4 ton also. I pretty much have a system ready to install, minus two bags. My hang up is the front bags. My understanding is that they rub on the turn stops. Is this not true? What size bags do you run? Thanks for the info.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
MSHax

I'm using the ridetech coolride bags. I bought this kit here Link to bags

I have zero rubbing riding normal, or dropped all the way, for some reason I will get a slight rub if I'm locked all the way up, and am turning all the way to the left. But then again, I will never ride all the way up, and very rarely turn all the way.

I did want to say something to anyone new to air ride, make sure you have a sway bar. If you don't have a sway bar, you will ride sideways, the way the sway bar will keep you level. I'm 195lbs so you better believe my driver side was lower than my passenger side. I also cringe every time I see someone twisting and tweaking their frame with individual corner control. I have my front tied together, and my rear tied together. I only have 2 switches; front, and rear.

The install is kinda sad on these trucks, it takes twice as long to get the old crap out, than it does to get the new stuff in.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
jorgensensc

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I've had the compressor, lines, etc for years. I only planned on doing the back initially because I heard there was rubbing issues on the front. I guess I'll need to just buy the bullet and install it all. I've got cups and plates too. I only really want to come down about 1-2 inches. I really just want a smoother ride. I was concerned that if I didn't want to lower it much that I would have to run higher pressure to keep the truck up near stock height, and that would hurt the ride. Is this true or no?

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
MSHax

I currently don't have my pressure gauges hooked up since my dash is currently torn apart for my next wild and exciting fiberglassing adventure. But I drop my truck all the way, then give a quick tap for the front and the rear and ride like that, as long as you don't have any leaks, you can ride at any level you want, and it's the same (as long as you're off the bump stops, and not locked up). I was driving down the freeway and a bunch of crap fell off this beat up ford thing. I quickly raised it all the way up to clear the road shrapnel. That was my first time locking it up on the freeway and it scared the bajesus out of me, as I ran over all the crap they dropped I felt like I had no control. Not safe all the way up, BUT...on the other end of the spectrum, if you've got a girl in the cab, who happens to have a nice top end, feel free to ride on the bump stops and enjoy the show.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
fluffyfreak

As long ss you take your time in the install and use quality parts daily driving a bagged (or juiced) truck is a snap.
fluffyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
MSHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyfreak View Post
As long ss you take your time in the install and use quality parts daily driving a bagged (or juiced) truck is a snap.
Good advice, don't cut cost on things like bags, have a bag blow out at 90mph would not be cool. My additional advice would be to test for leaks BEFORE you put it all in. The front on these trucks is not fun to pull back apart to fix a line leak. I've always used teflon tape, some people recommend the liquid, but after talking with the guys at ridetech at the last goodguys show, they said use blue thread lock, gotta try that next time
Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
Just noticed what you were asking. As long as you're not locked up, and not on the bumpstops, the ride is fantastic. Here are 2 pics, one is all the way up, the other is on the bump stops. It's MUCH easier to get underneath a truck lifted, and one lowered, I was working on it, I would never ride all the way up.

Never actually measured it, but it seems to be about 7" or so. I have 22s so it seems like there isn't much wheel well anyway.
Yes, this is what I was asking(some times its so hard to get a simple point into words, lol).

That looks pretty close to 'stock' ride height, which is something I want to keep, but also be able to drop it when I want to. I live in the mountains and have a dirt/rough/steep driveway so I don't want to be much lower than I am now.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyfreak View Post
I agree with this also. An air ride system can be very dependable with good quality parts and taking time to install. Always use grommets when going through the frame, keep away from headers, etc, etc...

Here is a lonk to our Pro1 air ride kit that uses quality parts from Porterbuilt, VIAIR AccuAir, AirLift.....uses all DOT fittings and air line. Let us know if we can hep you out any.

http://www.azproperformance.com/Pro1...r-Bag-Kit.html
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
MSHax

Quote:
Yes, this is what I was asking(some times its so hard to get a simple point into words, lol).

That looks pretty close to 'stock' ride height, which is something I want to keep, but also be able to drop it when I want to. I live in the mountains and have a dirt/rough/steep driveway so I don't want to be much lower than I am now.
I was thinking about this, so when I got home I took pics at a good angle so you can see the difference. This is full up, and full down on the bumpstops
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
Syndrome

Nice, you put the beer can in there for reference, its always my choice object as well. Thanks for the pics, You got a build thread? or maybe a list of what parts you used on your truck?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
67chevemall

Air ride is the best ride for sure.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
72MARIO

I took our 68 suburban from Ontario Canada to Tennessee towing a car trailer think it was over 2100 miles. When I got home I put it in the shop and pulled insurance off it. Its not going back on the road till I remove the Air ride tech E2 set up, and install a system with ride height sensors. The alignment is very difficult to get right on pressure sensors alone.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
slo72c10

I drive mine daily its the 5th car on air for me no other way to go in my opinion
Attached Images

slo72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #24
72MARIO

Glad this came back up. I installed Accuair a few years ago its a amazing system. The first pitcure the suburban has 30 66lb bags of quick concrete in the back. Perfect alignment all the time no matter what the load.
Attached Images

2005 TAHOE DD
Old 06-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #25
72MARIO

Glad this came back up. I installed Accuair a few years ago its a amazing system. The first pitcure the suburban has 30 66lb bags of quick concrete in the back. Perfect alignment all the time no matter what the load.
2005 TAHOE DD