The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
jrdamien

'50 3100 Frame Swap and New Member Intro

Hey all. FNG from Minneapolis here. Have been reading your forums a lot, looking to buy my first truck, and you've all been such a huge help I had to join! So "Hello."

I have a lead on a perfect '50 3100 body that's almost completely swapped to an s10 chassis complete with original 4.3 V6 and 4 speed manual in place. The swap and fab work are pretty good. All that's left is the bed, the interior, and paint.

NO title. NO gauges. he wants 4k.

What do you all think? Your help would be incredible because I am very new to all this.
jrdamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Atommik

Re: '50 3100 Frame Swap and New Member Intro

Welcome!

I'd be a little worried about not having a title. I did an s 10 swap, but had the title for the '51 I bought. If the '50 body still has a vin plate, you may be able to get a new title. Or I think Minnesota has a title available for a "kit" car or something like that. I'd check the DMV and find out about the title before you spend money on something you can't drive!!

I've been driving mine now for a couple of months, and I love it! I still have quite a bit of "finish" work.

Good Luck!! Keep us posted!
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
jrdamien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
Welcome!

I'd be a little worried about not having a title. I did an s 10 swap, but had the title for the '51 I bought. If the '50 body still has a vin plate, you may be able to get a new title. Or I think Minnesota has a title available for a "kit" car or something like that. I'd check the DMV and find out about the title before you spend money on something you can't drive!!

I've been driving mine now for a couple of months, and I love it! I still have quite a bit of "finish" work.

Good Luck!! Keep us posted!
Thanks. The title is my concern and I asked him if he'd go 3500 to compensate for having to go the bonded title route.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
av8tr33337

Welcome to the S10 chassis swap forum.

Just kidding there are tons of ways to skin a cat and that's just one. But that's also the route I am going. Can't wait to see what your working with. Not knowing what condition and quality of workmanship etc that 4K seems kind of high to me. Maybe I'm just a tightwad. I Guess your time is worth a lot too so getting a truck that far along may be worth it. Be sure and post up a ton of pics right away when you get some. We love to drool over new projects.

I would try to title it as a 50 If at all possible. Like the man said talk to your DMV and check out your options. You could go the kit car route . Here in Kansas they have something called a builders title. Maybe it's the same thing. I'm not so sure you couldn't title it as an S10 as a last resort and I do mean last resort. You would pay taxes on it as an S10 but should be pretty cheap.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup

Last edited by av8tr33337; 10-10-2013 at 05:41 PM.
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
jrdamien

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr33337 View Post
Welcome to the S10 chassis swap forum.

Just kidding there are tons of ways to skin a cat and that's just one. But that's also the route I am going. Can't wait to see what your working with. Not knowing what condition and quality of workmanship etc that 4K seems kind of high to me. Maybe I'm just a tightwad. I Guess your time is worth a lot too so getting a truck that far along may be worth it. Be sure and post up a ton of pics right away when you get some. We love to drool over new projects.

I would try to title it as a 50 If at all possible. Like the man said talk to your DMV and check out your options. You could go the kit car route . Here in Kansas they have something called a builders title. Maybe it's the same thing. I'm not so sure you couldn't title it as an S10 as a last resort and I do mean last resort. You would pay taxes on it as an S10 but should be pretty cheap.
I'm as tight an ass as it comes. For me it's the fact that the body is in perfect shape with zero bondo and one metal cab corner patch. But he's got everything mounted and the engine all hooked up. He's done a ton of work.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
FiftyTwo

Let me add my 2 cents on this. I saw this one on Craigslist and thought "Another 1/2 done S10 swap for sale"

Remember your buying a project truck for $4000 that doesn't have a title and still needs to be finished. When you say, "All that's left is the bed, the interior, and paint" that's quite a bit. What about wiring, gauges, drive shaft, brakes, steering, exhaust and a gas tank? Whats the condition of the bed sides, tailgate, and fenders? Running boards? Interior? Paint isn't cheap either. Does it even start and stop on it's own? Does it have a radiator? How many miles on the V6?

If you can handle all the work yourself, and aren't in a hurry, this may be the truck for you. But it's still going to take some time and money to finish.

Good luck.

Last edited by FiftyTwo; 10-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.
FiftyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
OrrieG

Is the hood and fenders sort of hung, or completed with all the gaps right? Cab,hood, fender alignment is difficult on a stock AD truck, and can get testy on a swap if all is not done correctly. Be absolutely sure the title is not an issue, he may have found out he was way into something that was going to be a big problem to get on the road.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
mr48chev

If the parts add up to 4k you should be ok but I'm another one that says no clear and current title equals an automatic cut in price to compensate for your troubles later.

I'd get him to give me a bill of sale for the 50 truck parts= Bill of sale for 1950 Chevrolet 3100 Cab, bed and nose with no frame or running gear. Then I would get a separate bill of sale for the S-10 chassis with engine and what not, listing what came with it. And the S-10 title if he has it. Plus keep every receipt an bill of sale for any other parts you buy for the truck. That way you didn't buy a whole vehicle, you bought parts that you assembled yourself. That makes a lot more sense to the folks at the dmv than telling them that you bought this 50 Chevy pickup sitting on an S-10 frame from this guy with no title. I'd study my home state's DMV web page and even go in and ask what you need to do when you build a vehicle from a variety of parts that you have accumulated.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
jrdamien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyTwo View Post
Let me add my 2 cents on this. I saw this one on Craigslist and thought "Another 1/2 done S10 swap for sale"

Remember your buying a project truck for $4000 that doesn't have a title and still needs to be finished. When you say, "All that's left is the bed, the interior, and paint" that's quite a bit. What about wiring, gauges, drive shaft, brakes, steering, exhaust and a gas tank? Whats the condition of the bed sides, tailgate, and fenders? Running boards? Interior? Paint isn't cheap either. Does it even start and stop on it's own? Does it have a radiator? How many miles on the V6?

If you can handle all the work yourself, and aren't in a hurry, this may be the truck for you. But it's still going to take a some time and money to finish.

Good luck.
Hey FiftyTwo. Nice to meet a local. What was your hesitation about this truck?

You're absolutely right that there is a bunch left. Wiring is there but not hooked up to dash. NO gauges (which is an expensive bummer). Drive shaft, brakes, steering all from the s10 and in place/functioning. NO tailgate. Fenders are good. Running boards are there but not in the best condition. Interior is stripped. The starting and stopping I'm going to determine over the weekend when I bring a battery up there. 115k on the v6.

If I am paying too much I NEED to know it. I am in NO hurry, though I do need a pickup before it snows.

And, being local, if you see anything please point me in the direction!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
jrdamien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Is the hood and fenders sort of hung, or completed with all the gaps right? Cab,hood, fender alignment is difficult on a stock AD truck, and can get testy on a swap if all is not done correctly. Be absolutely sure the title is not an issue, he may have found out he was way into something that was going to be a big problem to get on the road.
It's sort of hung but the gaps are correct. Someone did a great fab job of the radiator/front support and what's missing for the front clip is the screwing/bolting of it together.

The guy selling is actually selling for his brother who is out of the picture.

I am absolutely sure the title is an issue.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
FiftyTwo

I have a truck already (on a S10 frame), now my son wants to build one, so we're on the hunt for another. His won't be on a S10 frame.

I try to stay away from other peoples projects and ones with no titles. I also don't like to redo other peoples work because of poor craftsmanship or unexpected surprises. I like to start with complete, original truck and build it my way. But that's just me.

Lastly, the S10 swap isn't as easy as it appears, it takes lots of work to get one "right", which is another reason you usually see them for sale 1/2 done.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
jrdamien

Quote:
I have a truck already (on a S10 frame), now my son wants to build one, so we're on the hunt for another. His won't be on a S10 frame.

I try to stay away from other peoples projects and ones with no titles. I also don't like to redo other peoples work because of poor craftsmanship or unexpected surprises. I like to start with complete, original truck and build it my way. But that's just me.

Lastly, the S10 swap isn't as easy as it appears, it takes lots of work to get one "right", which is another reason you usually see them for sale 1/2 done.
How do you like your truck on an s10 frame? Daily driver? Work truck?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
8LUG

Welcome to the site!!!

1951 Chevy Pickup current project
1990 Chevy Suburban 2500 front D60 king pin and rear 14 Bolt rear with 4.88 gears
8LUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
sparks54

Welcome and good luck on your 1950 project truck.

1954 Chevy Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584702
sparks54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Highsider

IMO: For $2000-$3000 more, you can find a completed truck, that you can test drive, with a clean title, that just needs some TLC.
I would pass.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Root2812

Its nice to see another local guy on here.

Its my opinion that you should not pay anywhere close to $4000. The guy took a few hundred dollar frame with a stock 4.3 on it and then welded up some mounts before sticking a $600 cab on it. You could do the same thing for $1000 and a few weekends but still have no title. If you are on a budget this truck is not for you. Also your best bet is to buy a cab with a title. No title is a pain and can be dangerous. To get a title for that truck the state patrol has to inspect the vin on the frame and cab. If either comes up as stolen, destroyed, or has a lean then you just lost out on all your $4000.

I totally understand the need to find a project soon. I always have a hard time waiting but that will be your best bet here. You can find a whole short box truck with a title for $2000 or less and then go buy a S10 for $500. Fab up some mounts and you will be way ahead.

Good luck
Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #17
FiftyTwo

"How do you like your truck on an s10 frame? Daily driver? Work truck?"

Since you asked.

Love my truck. No it's not a daily driver or work truck, more of a street rod/ resto mod type cruiser.

Mine started it's life as a Nebraska farm truck. It was sold at a farm auction in the mid '80's and came to Minnesota where it was restored to original condition. After many trips back and forth from Minnesota to Wisconsin hauling wood, it was parked outside in the woods to begin it's demise. I rescued it in 2002 and spent the next 6 years bringing it to it's current condition.

Body modifications include: chopped top, wing windows removed, smoothed front bumper, smoothed firewall, bed stake pockets filled and custom roll pan. Truck is finished in gloss black enamel.

It's sitting on a modified S10 frame with Xtreme (ZQ8) factory lowered suspension, including quick ratio steering and front and rear sway bars. I'm running a 350/250hp crate motor with custom exhaust, 700R4, Camaro 8.5 rear and 3:42 gears. Basic interior with a black Chevelle bench seat, power windows and one-off custom gauges. All work was done by me in my garage.

After working hard for it's first two owners, it now leads a pampered life, cruises very nicely at 70 mph, sounds and handles great, and will never haul anything again.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
jrdamien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
Its nice to see another local guy on here.

Its my opinion that you should not pay anywhere close to $4000. The guy took a few hundred dollar frame with a stock 4.3 on it and then welded up some mounts before sticking a $600 cab on it. You could do the same thing for $1000 and a few weekends but still have no title. If you are on a budget this truck is not for you. Also your best bet is to buy a cab with a title. No title is a pain and can be dangerous. To get a title for that truck the state patrol has to inspect the vin on the frame and cab. If either comes up as stolen, destroyed, or has a lean then you just lost out on all your $4000.

I totally understand the need to find a project soon. I always have a hard time waiting but that will be your best bet here. You can find a whole short box truck with a title for $2000 or less and then go buy a S10 for $500. Fab up some mounts and you will be way ahead.

Good luck
Hey, likewise Root. Really nice to meet locals for all the obvious reasons.

Thanks for being a voice of reason. This has really put me off it for the time being, even though I agreed to take it and shook on it. But you're right about the title.

I thought it was worth it because of the amount of work he had put into it but just now, txting with the man, he said he saw the engine run in the s10 whereas I thought he had previously said he saw it running in the new swap. So...another thing to worry about.

BUT I have been looking for all the parts and I'm not finding anything too cheap. Patience, I suppose. But since you're another local, if you see anything let me know?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
55dude

The easy has been done, the hard part is getting a title since before 1955 they were titled by the njmbers off the engine and yours is long gone. Run Forrest Run!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
jrdamien

So now let's say he finds a title, which supposedly he may have.

What, then, is the value?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
av8tr33337

I'm looking at it like this. I am about in the same place as far as my project goes and I am at about $1,000.00. I admit that I need extensive metal work and about all the rest that yours needs. But then again I have a clear Tittle.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
vht

I gave $3800 for my 51 without a bed, had 2 new rear fenders, and no running boards. I got a pretty nice cab, doors, front end, and frame. I also got a TCI front end, all new, complete with rack, and 4 link rear susp. I also got a 79 Camaro, 8.5 10 bolt, 3.42 pos, A ton of small stuff in boxes. I thought he was a little steep on the price until I seen what the TCI stuff cost.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
FiftyTwo

You're asking a difficult question. The value is what someone is willing to pay for something. And as you have seen by the responses to your post, everyone has a little different take on it's value. Some say it's a good price, and other say it isn't.

If you know what it takes to get it one done and on the road, and you're happy with the price of this one, then buy it.

A title then would be your only concern. If it has one, great. If it doesn't, then you need to find out what it takes to get one. Buying a truck and not having a title could be a big problem down the road.

Personally, I think its too much, title or no title.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #24
jrdamien

Quote:

You're asking a difficult question. The value is what someone is willing to pay for something. And as you have seen by the responses to your post, everyone has a little different take on it's value. Some say it's a good price, and other say it isn't.

If you know what it takes to get it one done and on the road, and you're happy with the price of this one, then buy it.

A title then would be your only concern. If it has one, great. If it doesn't, then you need to find out what it takes to get one. Buying a truck and not having a title could be a big problem down the road.

Personally, I think its too much, title or no title.
Thanks man.

Again, the appeal was the condition of the body. Perfect and primed, no bondo. The exception being the rear fenders aren't perfect and are from a 48 and there's no tail gate.

He has boxes of stuff but NO gauges.

I wish I'd been at this longer so I knew what a body costs. All the ones around here are rust buckets and going for several k.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
wood1

Yes, as FiftyTwo says, "the value is what someone is willing to pay". Take your time and check things out. If you want, make them an offer you think is fair.

The Roadsters swap meet is Sunday(tomorrow Oct. 13) at the State Fair grounds, 6am-2pm. It's the last big one of the year and usually has some good deals. I usually find AD truck parts and who knows there could be a truck for sale also. Just an idea if you need parts. Good luck

FiftyTwo, nice truck, I've seen it ...
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote