The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
nrasac

Wondering if i should have radiator rerodded

Hello, my name is Justin and I am new to the boards. I have an 81 c10 with a 72 350 engine, 4bbl carb ,rwd, and automatic transmission. The heater core has been bypassed.

It has been running a bit warm and the temp sensor is a little off so thinking of replacing it with a lectric temp sensor since the oreilly's BWD was way off so I put the original back in. So far I flushed the engine first with water, I noticed that there was a lot of calcium buildup in the radiator. After flushing with water and then using prestone flush to clean it out, the water was coming out clean. However, I did notice that the inlets of the core below the radiator cap are a bit rusty. I was wondering if I should have the radiator rerodded? It is a 3 row brass copper Harrison radiator. I think it is a a 66 radiator but am not sure since I just going by a hand made etching on the radiator that reads 66/07 on it.

The temp gauge does not list any degrees but the needle points to one line before the last line. I just put a 195* temperature gauge in it. It has 16PSI radiator cap. The temp of thermostat housing is between 220-225 degrees.

[ATTACH]Name:  DSCN0090.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0094.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0096.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  29.6 KB[/ATTACH]

Last edited by nrasac; 10-10-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: more informoation
nrasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Skunksmash

Re: Wondering if i should have radiator rerodded

What will the cost of rerodding the radiator be, vs just getting a new radiator? Also I'm not sure what the thermostat is supposed to be for that year, but my 350 thermostat opens up at 190.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
nrasac

I forget what the estimate by by phone but it was around $60-80. I think OEM called for a 195 degree thermostat. I was just wondering if the inside of radiator looks like their could be blockage.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
bucannon
Salty Sailor

$60-$80 would be cheaper than a new radatior, but maybe a junkyard radatior out of a newer chevy truck is an option. my radatior is out of a late model chevy.

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
85Bowtie

I would rather recore that one than go with a cheap one from the parts store.
'77 Dodge Monaco ex cop car 440, 727, 2.71
'79 Dodge 'Lil Red Express pickup 360, 727, 3.55 Sure Grip
'12 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, M6, 3.92
'85 Chevrolet C-10 SWB 2wd 305, TH350, 2.73
85Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
nrasac

I probably will take it to a reputable radiator shop that I know but not sure if I should first fix the temperature sensor. The truck runs cooler than it shows. It running about 225 degrees, yet the needle points to the line right before the last line. The temps gauge does show truck getting a little bit cooler when i get off the freeway. As of now, I have time to take it to radiator shop, so that is why I am thinking of doing it now instead of fixing temp sensor. The radiator is not leaking. Do the pics show evidence that the radiator needs to be boiled out or rerodded ?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
donut

Welcome,

This is my opinion. Verify the actual temps. Gauge may be off and the temps are fine, who knows. I have ran radiators that are much worse, though it does look like a couple tubes are soldered shut. Maybe previous leak repair? (or bad eyes) If you want, take the rad to the shop and have them look at it. They should be able to look at it and give you a yay or nay, and give you options. They are the experts and can see it in person.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
nrasac

No, your eyes are good. When I saw that I thought that must of been a previous repair. I have had truck about two years. My grandpa was the original owner. Appreciate the advice.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Katrina/10

Never heard of rerodding. Shops take one tank off and shove a rod through the tubes to clean them out, called rodding.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrasac View Post
I probably will take it to a reputable radiator shop that I know but not sure if I should first fix the temperature sensor. The truck runs cooler than it shows. It running about 225 degrees, yet the needle points to the line right before the last line. The temps gauge does show truck getting a little bit cooler when i get off the freeway. As of now, I have time to take it to radiator shop, so that is why I am thinking of doing it now instead of fixing temp sensor. The radiator is not leaking. Do the pics show evidence that the radiator needs to be boiled out or rerodded ?
You can get an infared temperature sensor off Amazon for $12. These factory heat gauges are flakey at best. Like one member said, you need to verify actual temps before you go spending money. My factory gauge said my truck ran at about 155 when it was warmed up. It was about 33 degrees off. Tossed that old junker and got a better temp gauge that came with a new sensor. Now it reads exactly what the IR temp gun says. Here's the one I got, I use it for all kinds of other stuff now. I even use it on my bearded dragon's back to make sure he's getting enough heat.

Amazon.com: Etekcity Temperature Gun Non-Contact... Amazon.com: Etekcity Temperature Gun Non-Contact...
Old 10-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
nrasac

Plan on getting that temperature gun. Thanks for the link
Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Skunksmash

You'll find that its a very useful tool for a lot of different stuff. At that price everyone should have one.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
bucannon
Salty Sailor

Cool Re: Wondering if i should have radiator rerodded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
You'll find that its a very useful tool for a lot of different stuff.
We had a Snap-On one at the shop I worked at while in high school. We used it for everything! Sometimes we pointed it on the garage doors during the summer to see how hot they were(104 in the afternoon!).

But its also good to check if all cylinders are firing, check each header tube. damn, now i need to go buy one!

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
nrasac

i used my tool and when scanning the thermostadt's upper housing it was 212 degrees. I was wondering though how high should the temp be when aiming at the spark plugs or cylinders. It seems that some of the spark plugs were in the range of 250 degrees at least on the passenger side.