The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
nejeff

Easy question, Help!

I'm no surgeon for brains so I need a little help---Are the speedo gears in the tranny the same in a manual and auto tranny?

Took rear end from a 3-speed truck and put it in my automatic truck and speedometer is way off. Thought if I took the speedo gears from the manual tranny and put them in the auto tranny I could be back on track. Does this make sense? Am I an idiot or are will this work?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
bigvinnie

the gear ratio (ring and pinion) on your new rear end must be different than the original, which would produce the problem you're seeing...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
wnc mountain
More hobbies than money!

I think he is asking is the tail shaft on an auto the same as on the manual trannies. I don't know but I'm sure someone will inlighten us.
'72 Blazer project
wnc mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
nejeff

Someone had said that there is little plastic gears in where the speedometer cable goes into transmission. I was wondering if it were possible to switch those gears into the auto tranny from a manual tranny. I might not have been clear before. thanks
Old 07-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #5
beautimus

no they aren't the same. in an ideal world, the idea would be to know what gears are in your rear axle, and proceed to the nearest parts house and ask for a speedo gear for transmission and the axle ratio that you have. you may have to make a guess, as to your axle ratio, and get a gear for that ratio. oh by the way those gears are pretty cheap, just plastic. they are simple to change, even if youve never done it. just unbolt the drive shaft. (chock the wheels first!!!) unbolt the tail housing, (5 or 6 bolts) and remove the gear, no sweat.
i had to buy a couple of different ones and through trial and error i got it right. good luck with yours!!!!!!
Tony
Old 07-10-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
FrankHoy

You don't necessarily need to remove the tail shaft. The gears are fairly cheap but I would attempt to change just the one on the speedo cable end, before going into the trans and changing the companion gear. They do make several gears with differnet # of teeth.
00 Blazer
FrankHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #7
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

Drive it at what you think is 60, going by what the speedo says. Measure how many seconds it takes to go a mile (section lines or mile markers). Do it a few times and throw out the bad numbers and average the ones that are close to the same. Divide 3600 by the number of seconds. That will get you your actual MPH. Then divide actual by indicated to see what ratio of difference. You will need to decide if you need to go up or down in teeth. Since you are dealing with the driven gear, if you want the speedo to read faster, use less teeth. Pull the old gear, count the teeth, multiply or divide by your ratio you calculated and go buy a gear with close to that number of teeth. If you're lucky, you won't have to change the drive gear (tailshaft), only the driven gear. If it jumps around or doesn't move, you have the wrong gear match and will have to change the tailshaft or buy a gear box from your local speedometer repair shop.

Either that, or go to Canada and check to see if your truck is calibrated in KM/HR now!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #8
nejeff

Thanks alot guys for all the help!

Jeff