The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
osaltyone

Vhx gauges

Anyone have issues with Dakota digital gauges? I can't seem to get mine to read my tac, speedo or fuel gauge. I tested 90ohm @ the fuel sending unit, ran a special ground from the unit to the box for the gauges and no dice.
For the tac and speedo it comes off the PCM. How can I test those w/o gauges.

I have had these hooked up for almost 5 months and never got t working. Figured I paid enough for these I should get them working.
osaltyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Vhx gauges

Never had a problem with anything Dakota Digital that wasn't out of my ignorance. The Speedo, Tach & Fuel gage have to be programmed. It's all in the instructions.

Have you called Dakota's Tech Line?

You paid for a good gauges, The first one's I installed gave me fits, I called their Tech Line once......100's of installs later.....No problems.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
osaltyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Never had a problem with anything Dakota Digital that wasn't out of my ignorance. The Speedo, Tach & Fuel gage have to be programmed. It's all in the instructions.

Have you called Dakota's Tech Line?

You paid for a good gauges, The first one's I installed gave me fits, I called their Tech Line once......100's of installs later.....No problems.
I've went through the setup and set all the settings, didn't do the mile drive setup, thought the tac and fuel should still work. I'll call them next weeks, when they are open and I can troubleshoot more. I called them once before and they said the box is probably not getting the PCM signal to trace the wires, which I did, but no real way to test other than make sure it's wired up.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Hart_Rod

What year is your LS setup from?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
osaltyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
What year is your LS setup from?
I was told 2006, but i have the plastic fuel rails, so I believe 2005. Can't tell for sure. PCM was programmed for 2005.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Are you getting any readings at all? You really need to program the speedo. You can also do a custom programming on the fuel gauge. I think I read somewhere that you might need to change the cylinders from 8 to 4 for the tach on some setups.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
bpmathy

I've got the VHX gauges in my LY6/6L90 Swap. Tach was a pain. I finally went old school and tapped a Coil wire. It gives me a DTC for that coil but no other issues. Set-up at 3V. My fuel gauge had no issues. Late model Fuel sensor, went to set-up in VHX and it works. Name:  IMAG0236.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  33.6 KB I have about 700 miles on the truck so far and love them. Oil Press, Tach and Fuel gauge (plus idiot lights) are the only thing I had to track out, the rest are off the GMLAN. I recommend them. you can see all working, love the color and view. More functions than I can stand! note the transmission indications 71 GMC Stepside

Last edited by bpmathy; 12-15-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Missed something trans
bpmathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmathy View Post
I've got the VHX gauges in my LY6/6L90 Swap. Tach was a pain. I finally went old school and tapped a Coil wire. It gives me a DTC for that coil but no other issues. Set-up at 3V. My fuel gauge had no issues. Late model Fuel sensor, went to set-up in VHX and it works. Attachment 1187593 I have about 700 miles on the truck so far and love them. Oil Press, Tach and Fuel gauge (plus idiot lights) are the only thing I had to track out, the rest are off the GMLAN. I recommend them. you can see all working, love the color and view. More functions than I can stand! note the transmission indications 71 GMC Stepside
BPmathy - I get my tach signal via the CANBUS/GMLAN. I'm not sure why you can't? However you can go into the tune and and set it up so that you can get the tach signal via an output wire. Here is the thread from HPTuners that tells you how to set it up.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ach-(autometer)

I also get my Speedo from the CANBUS but I'm still trying to figure out a way to get it via a wire outuput the Speartech pulled for me. In order to connect a scanner to the OBDII and have it read, you have to disconnect the VHX gauges. When I'm logging data, I want to be able to switch my tach and speedo to "sender" instead of "BUS:, that way I don't have to look at my laptop while I'm driving. Safety first!

EDIT: What does your gear display when you are in "2" and "1"?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
bpmathy

I wires in CAN bus lines. One stays with the gauges, the other for Tuner. I only disconnect the gauge BUS input when I need to shoot a load into the ECU, I get a failure, disconnecting the gauges rectified the problem. I have a 120 OHM between the splices where I put the CAN busses together. Works well. I can have the tuner running as well as HP tuners. I did see at the speed shop a couple of weeks ago a 1 output to two splitter that did the same. good luck
Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
I wires in CAN bus lines. One stays with the gauges, the other for Tuner. I only disconnect the gauge BUS input when I need to shoot a load into the ECU, I get a failure, disconnecting the gauges rectified the problem. I have a 120 OHM between the splices where I put the CAN busses together. Works well. I can have the tuner running as well as HP tuners. I did see at the speed shop a couple of weeks ago a 1 output to two splitter that did the same. good luck
what do you mean by "tuner AND hp tuners" hooked in at the same time? Doesn't the HPT box react negatively to seeing input from another source?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
bpmathy

Sorry about that, I ran two sets so I can have the VHX as well as the HP tuner running at the same time (two ODB connectors)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Sorry about that, I ran two sets so I can have the VHX as well as the HP tuner running at the same time (two ODB connectors)
Mine is setup that way, but HPTuners scanner will not work if the VHX gauges are plugged in. Can you explain more on what you did? Maybe a few pictures. Thanks,

Rob
Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
First c10

Ok I know this is a older thread but, to use 2 Obd2 ports you said you put a 120ohm resister in. What did you put that resister on? Which wire? Also Dakota digital told me that they cannot get oil pressure from cambus....is this correct?
Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.
I have 2011 lc9/6l80
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
mighty_mike015

Oil Pressure on the LS motors went straight to the gauge not to the ecu. At least on my 2001 5.3 Harness it did.

On another note. I was going to start researching about putting a diode inline to the OBD2 for the VHX so all information went to and none came back?
mighty_mike015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_mike015 View Post
Oil Pressure on the LS motors went straight to the gauge not to the ecu. At least on my 2001 5.3 Harness it did.

On another note. I was going to start researching about putting a diode inline to the OBD2 for the VHX so all information went to and none came back?
That changed on the Gen IV engines....