The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Cavscout

Cheap radiator/rusty radcore fix!

For those big spenders out there you may want to look away.

Okay, for the rest of us. 70 C10 with a rusty radcore and a busted radiator. Needed a new radiator but every radiator I found online was around 5-700 dollars, Ridiculous!!

I found this beauty of a radiator at Advance Auto for $99, it is a replacement for a 1985 Silverado. The exact same size as the original. But, I have a rusted out radcore, no problem.

The pictures I've attached will show my solution, cut a 2x4 to length, glue on some inter tube to stop the squeaks, paint on your favorite color, install. I got an electric fan/thermostat from my wife for my birthday from Amazon for $75, installed that as well and every thing is as cool as you please!

So, instead of a $500 radiator I have a new radiator/fan combo for $175 and a cool running truck. Take that show truck boys!!
Attached Images

Cavscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Cheap radiator/rusty radcore fix!

You're looking in the wrong places...

Rock auto carries the big 4 row auto for 240:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...854&cc=1410073

Oreilly has a 4 row as well for 185.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...yword=radiator

However, you seem to be right, I didn't see a 4 row at advance or autozone, just a two row? I KNOW I ordered mine from one or the other for a hair over $200, but that was probably 4 years ago (we just recently started getting oreillys around here, and I've only known about rock auto the past few years).

I really don't want to sound like an ass, but I almost blew up (majorly overheated) my S10 with I believe that exact fan, I even had it in conjunction with the factory shroud, but you're better off with the stock fan At a minimum, it needs to have some kind of shroud with it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Z10

Here what I bought less the fans for $199. It's also a 2 Core. Although not intuitive, 2 cores cool better that 3 or 4 cores.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Truck-...item5af2fab815

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Here is what I bought to replace my (I think out of a junkyard) radiator. It was suggested by someone on here. I haven't unboxed it yet. I think I got it for a bit under $200.00, $180.00 or something. Advance Auto clerks AND their online tech support said it wouldn't fit my truck but the guy on here said it fit his, so I went for it. It will be next spring before I get to find out.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...le=#fragment-2

The radiator I took out didn't leak but it has a lot of calcium inside and some outside...I may have it cleaned and sealed (if that is done) just to do it.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
kray59

Cool Re: Cheap radiator/rusty radcore fix!

Cavscout , i like it . sometimes i have to go the cheapest way around also . the 2 x 4 is my favorite part . Z10 , a 2 core cools better than a 3 or 4 core ?? never heard that . please school me on that theory . thanks ,kenny.

Beware the man who only owns 1 rifle , he probably knows how to use it.

Last edited by kray59; 10-13-2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: spelling
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Z10

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kray59 View Post
Cavscout , i like it . sometimes i have to go the cheapest way around also . the 2 x 4 is my favorite part . Z10 , a 2 core cools better than a 3 or 4 core ?? never heard that . please school me on that theory . thanks ,kenny.
Here's a pretty good primmer:

1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
:
Here's a pretty good primmer:
Very wrong! This literature has the premise that both cores are the same overall thickness and the figure on the right has 3 rows crammed into the same space as 2 rows in the figure on the left.

The 2 row core in our trucks is about 1" thick. My 4 row core is more than 3" thick.

The after market suppliers are blowing smoke.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Very wrong! This literature has the premise that both cores are the same overall thickness and the figure on the right has 3 rows crammed into the same space as 2 rows in the figure on the left.

The 2 row core in our trucks is about 1" thick. My 4 row core is more than 3" thick.

The after market suppliers are blowing smoke.
One thing to remember is that the 3rd and 4th rows are not as efficient because you are pushing heated air from the first 2 rows.

I found this thread to be helpful, it's lengthy, but well written.

"There is considerable misinformation regarding what makes a radiator transfer heat (so take what you read with a grain of salt).

Ill try to make a short radiator and heat transfer for dummies post

Heat is transferred from the coolant to the radiator mass, and from the radiator mass to the airflow. The temperature difference at each transfer junction (coolant to metal, and metal to air) drives the quantity of heat transferred.

Aluminum weighs less, and the lower mass allows it to transfer heat more quickly than brass. The steady state heat transfer between the two materials (aluminum and brass) is very similar, but aluminum reacts quicker to a change in the temperature difference of the coolant fluid (like when you are on the throttle) because the heat transfer takes less time heating up the mass of the radiator itself before establishing the temperature difference between the radiator and the airflow. The fact the aluminum experiences an elevated surface temperature quicker allows it to reject the heat into the airflow quicker.

When the radiator is underdesigned (to reduce weight or fit a poor location) this rapid thermal response provided by aluminum can make a difference in overheating (or not) after a brief period of WFO travel (like in racing). When the load is steady state (a fixed industrial engine or a long crawl up a grade towing), the response time benefit is insignificant because while the brass takes longer to respond, having the proper area for heat transfer is more important (both radiators eventually reach the same steady state temperatures and the same heat transfer rate).

Sizing the face area of a radiator core to have one square inch for every cubic inch of displacement has been around for a long time (400 ci. engine matched to a 20"x20" radiator). This rule of thumb does not work everywhere (dry deserts need more face area) so some add 10% or more extra face area.

Core thickness is an airflow restriction on the air side (bad for heat transfer), and more tubes (one tube per core) increases surface area (good for heat transfer) on the coolant side. Multicore radiators are great for getting the radiator metal hot, but not always great for getting that extra heat into the air, and the hot air away from the radiator.

The coolant to metal transfer is fairly efficient, because both materials (coolant and metal) have significant mass to store the heat being transferred. The heat transfer junction, the required wetted area of the tubes inside the radiator core, can be calculated with fairly good accuracy. The surface area can be accomplished with more small oval tubes (1/2" and 5/8" typical of brass radiators) or with fewer larger tubes (typical aluminum 1" and 1 1/4" tubes). Go with the most tubes (cores) for the greater surface area, if the fan drive can handle the airflow restriction.

The aluminum radiator core manufacturers already take any credit for the more rapid thermal response of aluminum when calculating the tube surface area, they use the minimum surface area they can design, so further reducing the face area of the core (to try and squeeze even more efficiency from the aluminum construction) is risky unless the design can be tested and adjusted (if the budget allows doitagain engineering). I advise against reducing the face area of the core, and any thinking that the material choice allows a discount factor to the heat transfer potential, unless you are racing to shave weight and the load is transient.

The coolant side of each core tube sees the same temperature coolant flow and the same rate of heat transfer from the coolant to the radiator core metal. The result is the radiator metal is almost always the same temperature with minimal gradient front to back. The coolant to metal heat transfer is the same for each core (what heats the radiator metal is the same), and the coolant temperature leaving each core (to be delivered to the engine) is nearly the same, but the air side of the radiator is not so simple.

The discount factor for heat transfer on subsequent cores is only on the airflow side. The face cores experience unheated air, and subsequent cores experience air at a higher temperature.

The best heat transfer occurs where the greatest difference between the air temperature and the radiator metal is found, the face or entering side of the radiator. If you want the best heat transfer, increasing the face area of the radiator metal that sees cool air will gain you the most impact for your effort (a larger radiator face will beat more cores nearly every time).

The construction of the radiator fin design is important to the increase in temperature through subsequent cores in series, and is related to a "bypass factor" that models how much air bypasses heat transfer from direct contact to the surface area of the fins. The mass of air that can squeeze between (bypass) the fins without picking up heat mixes with the mass of heated air that does make contact, and the result raises the air temperature of the downstream cores.

In reality, without getting into math or fin designs, the elevation of air temperature between cores is less than 15%. If the airflow temperature is raised from 70dF to 170dF through a four core radiator, a 100 degree increase, 45 degrees (~45%) of the temperature rise (and heat transfer) is in the air to metal contact in the first core, and a lower percent from subsequent cores (something like ~30%/17%/8%).

The aluminum radiator guy's are right that two cores are more efficient (nearly 80% of the cooling is from the two front cores), but if the total surface area of the coolant to metal, and metal to air, contact is less ... the net result is not so great of a design (just like ricers 100 ci 4-banger @ 3 hp/ci is good, but nothing like a 302 @ 1 hp/ci: there is no substitute for more surface area in a radiator unless you want to spend a lot).

The actual area of the core face that experiences the high air to metal temperature difference is more important than the calculated face area. People tend to forget that the radiator face is not working to transfer heat, unless it's moving air.

What makes air flow through a radiator core (through a restriction)? Pressure drop (static pressure) or the momentum of the air mass (velocity pressure) through the core establishes the airflow, and the resulting heat transfer.

Most people with a cooling problem try to increase the mass of air blowing through the radiator by increasing the velocity pressure acting on the core. They add a round fan (usually electric) in front of the radiator (a pusher fan).

When an unshrouded fan is used, a puller with no shroud or a pusher, the core area experiencing the airflow (and temperature difference) is limited to only that is the direct path of the high velocity air. A 20x20 (400 sq.in.) radiator face with a 16" diameter fan blade, without a shroud, is little better at heat transfer than a radiator with a 16" round (201 sq.in.) face area.

Adding a 16" pusher in front of this radiator, with the unshrouded 16" puller, gains almost nothing in air side heat transfer effect.

How do you get the entire entering face of the radiator to work transfering heat? You try to get airflow across the entire face of the radiator core.

Try many small fans (fit lots of round high velocity airstreams in a square area)? It can work, but it's looks complicated (and is probably expensive).

It's easier to make a static pressure difference across the radiator core work to move air through the entire face of the radiator, by using a puller fan and fitting a shroud on the suction side of the core. You only need one fan, and it can motivate airflow across the entire face area of the radiator core, just by adding a shroud to contain an area of negative pressure on the leaving air side of the core.

The problem with using static pressure to draw airflow through a radiator is that it takes a significant increase in power to generate pressure (research fan laws). Using a multicore radiator core that is thick and restrictive on the air side requires that it be matched with a fan and shroud that can generate a static pressure difference great enough to overcome the restriction.

Replacing a two core with a more airflow restrictive four core can sometimes work against you if the fan clutch is weak, or it is combined with a swap to an electric fan.

Most electric fans cannot develop significant airflow at higher static pressures, because the power draw must be limited to protect the wiring. Compare an electric fan to a high flow (and pressure) mechanical fan. The blades of the electric are narrow, and the blade pitch is shallow (compared to the mechanical fan), both design aspects limit the potential of an over-amp condition. Yes, electric fans are great to gain power on the end of the crankshaft, because to generate a significant negative pressure behind the radiator sometimes takes three to five horsepower (the gains we read in the electric fan advertisements). Use electric fans when you can, when the radiator is overdesigned for the power and transient heat transfer required, and use a shroud. Just do not expect a 1/4 hp electric to pull the same airflow and pressure drop of a fan drawing 3 hp off the front of the engine.

I read that fans have little effect to gain airflow at speed ("airflow is going through the radiator on the highway because you are going faster, so adding a fan or shroud to cool the engine on the highway is not going to solve the problem.") We read it all the time. It's BS.

What is difficult to understand is that most vehicles generate a high pressure area under the chassis at speed (the air above and to the sides of the vehicle is high velocity/low pressure, but underneath it's low velocity and high pressure). Yes, the pressure in front of the radiator can be higher (conversion of the velocity pressure to static pressure) but the pressure behind the radiator can increase with speed as well. Betting that the converted high velocity air in front of the vehicle radiator can overcome the pressure under the vehicle (the pressure on the leaving side of most unaided radiator cores), to motivate airflow, is almost like betting that you can piss up the inside of the airhose of your compressor with 20 psi streaming out the end.

You still need a fan and shroud to eliminate most radiator airflow problems at highway speeds, because you still need to establish a pressure drop across the radiator core (and sometimes it's more difficult at 60 mph, than when parked at the curb).

Crossflow vs. downflow design is not as important as where the radiator cap pressure relief is located. The cap should be on the low pressure side of the water pump, something that is easier to package and service with a crossflow core.

I hope this helps (I have had enough internet tech for the week)?

In summary: if the budget demands a choice between a high dollar aluminum radiator, or a brass radiator and a well fitting shroud, get the system with the shroud (and use a mechanical fan drive with a fan blade that has some pitch angle to the blades, and a clutch to save power when it's not needed).

Happy Trails!
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 10-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Z10

Couple of pics:

The cooling surface of the 2 core is longer and does not have as much airflow restriction as the 3 core.

Cheers
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 10-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
DGulliver

Excellent information, Z10- thanks for that!

(*Also, a guy near us, up in Pulaski TN has a documented '69 Pace Car Coupe too. I used to think they were all convertibles...)
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGulliver View Post
Excellent information, Z10- thanks for that!

(*Also, a guy near us, up in Pulaski TN has a documented '69 Pace Car Coupe too. I used to think they were all convertibles...)
Thanks DG,

They are pretty rare. Estimates are between 200-500 units all built the within a 3 week period. I'm the second owner of the my Z10. I first saw the car in May of 1969 in the show room of my local Chevy dealer in Pampa, TX. I was 15 at the time. The car stayed in the same family until I purchased it 30 years later, 1999. So far, no factory documentation has shown up as to why or exactly how many were produced, but it seems that they were only sold in the Southwest zone. It's now a family member.

Here's a pic of the Z10 and my 72

Cheers
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
kray59

Cool Re: Cheap radiator/rusty radcore fix!

Z10 , thanks for the lesson . i guess i fell for the " careful what you ask for " bait . thanks again , kenny oh , and i still like the 2x4

Beware the man who only owns 1 rifle , he probably knows how to use it.

Last edited by kray59; 10-14-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add text
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote