The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
zicc1835

steering column help

does anything hold this bearing in place i swapped shafts a while ago left that bearing on the shaft it all went back together nice i pulled myself forward on the seat using the wheel and the shaft pulled out i guess as much as the intermediate shaft grease joint would let it travel about an inch or so this is a non tilt 67-72 shaft appreciate some help on this
Attached Images

zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Wildwagonz

Re: steering column help

I believe the only thing that holds it in place is the spring and large washer between the bearing and the coupler. I have a 72 3speed that I just disassembled the column to rebuild and it did the same thing because the spring didn't have enough 'spring' left in it to push back
Wildwagonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwagonz View Post
I believe the only thing that holds it in place is the spring and large washer between the bearing and the coupler. I have a 72 3speed that I just disassembled the column to rebuild and it did the same thing because the spring didn't have enough 'spring' left in it to push back
thanks but i dont get it dahhh feel like a dummy i didnt take the whole column apart so i didnt see the sping and large washer is this at the bottom just pulled the shaft out of another column cause the column i bought (on the board the shaft was bent so i bought another and swapped them thanks for responding
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
zicc1835

ttt
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
zicc1835

wild
thank you i had to dig every thing off the 71 i have sitting in the other garage to get the visual ( I am the guy that looks at the pictures in the directions and doesn't read ....needed a visual) i took the tilt column out of this truck different setup on the tilt. no washer no spring ( cause i am building this one to sell and wanted the tilt for another build) so i bought 2 complete columns to make one neither of which came with that washer and spring the intermediate shaft was separated for shipping ....so long story short thank you for your help, i am good to go now .....ill write the FAQ non tilt auto column for dummies
jz