The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
RedRaven

Two questions and awesome info on my truck

Hey All,

So I have two quick questions and one of them spurs from a random fact I found out about my truck today. I had driven to work and was getting something out of the glove box and in a fit of boredom I read over the SPID (all original, all intact and extremely legible.... I will try and get a snapshot soon.) and I found out that the current paint job, while not in the greatest of shape, is 100% original from the factory. Two Tone Dark Bronze and White...... 583 was the SPID code I believe.

Now that is out of the way, onto my two questions.

1.) Is this particular model of Dark Bronze still available to track down somewhere? (1970 Chevy C20, doesn't have to be the original paint from 1970 but I would like to find a near exact match for it if possible)

2.) In deciding to drop the truck a few inches, I was curious if it would be easier to keep the C20's current drive train and get drop spindles or springs (I think rear currently has airbags so I might swap to bag suspension to be able to adjust height) or should I go through and swap over to a C10 setup.

Also, if I swap over to C10 is there an easy, bolt on way to do this and obtain disc brakes on all 4 corners?

Thanks for the info guys! I intend on keeping this thing the original Dark Bronze, except I will be swapping the white for the two tone out for something different........ Just haven't decided what yet.
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Two questions and awesome info on my truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post
Hey All,

So I have two quick questions and one of them spurs from a random fact I found out about my truck today. I had driven to work and was getting something out of the glove box and in a fit of boredom I read over the SPID (all original, all intact and extremely legible.... I will try and get a snapshot soon.) and I found out that the current paint job, while not in the greatest of shape, is 100% original from the factory. Two Tone Dark Bronze and White...... 583 was the SPID code I believe.

Now that is out of the way, onto my two questions.

1.) Is this particular model of Dark Bronze still available to track down somewhere? (1970 Chevy C20, doesn't have to be the original paint from 1970 but I would like to find a near exact match for it if possible)

2.) In deciding to drop the truck a few inches, I was curious if it would be easier to keep the C20's current drive train and get drop spindles or springs (I think rear currently has airbags so I might swap to bag suspension to be able to adjust height) or should I go through and swap over to a C10 setup.

Also, if I swap over to C10 is there an easy, bolt on way to do this and obtain disc brakes on all 4 corners?

Thanks for the info guys! I intend on keeping this thing the original Dark Bronze, except I will be swapping the white for the two tone out for something different........ Just haven't decided what yet.
Try a NAPA that has an automotive paint department. For $15, they can mix up a spray can for you, based off the color codes in their books for our trucks

I don't have any interest in dropping trucks, so can't help ya there
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
RedRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Try a NAPA that has an automotive paint department. For $15, they can mix up a spray can for you, based off the color codes in their books for our trucks

I don't have any interest in dropping trucks, so can't help ya there
Thanks man, dunno if I want to do up a spray can but they could more than likely mix up a can (or of course any automotive shop that sells paint probably could, come to think of it) thinking of pairing it with a Dark Gun-Metal style Gray which should look nice...... Time to search out info on bagging a 1970 C20 now
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post
Thanks man, dunno if I want to do up a spray can but they could more than likely mix up a can (or of course any automotive shop that sells paint probably could, come to think of it) thinking of pairing it with a Dark Gun-Metal style Gray which should look nice...... Time to search out info on bagging a 1970 C20 now
Yeah, doesn't have to be a spray can. They can give it to you how you want it
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
hugger6933

Well Red,the people at the place that I get my paint from PPG, they have a machine that is based off of a digital camera that takes a picture of the paint you have and mixes a color match to that. That machine is called a profit[ as in $] It has helped me out of more than one jam if you are trying to match something that is already on the truck. Otherwise any paint store worth its thinner could mix up some paint for you in the proper color, keeping in mind it may not be an perfect match. Oh,yeah, welcome to this site from east AR I own a body shop here and have since 1987 so I hang out here and the paint and body section a lot so if you need help just holler and I'll try to help out. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Keith Seymore

You can also search here for the correct codes, based on manufacturer:

www.autocolorlibrary.com

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote