The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Kim57

Reproduction fender Question

Looks like I need to replace one of my rear fenders.
Has any one gotten one of the new repo fenders?
I know they are a little thinner than original.
Is it noticeable?
Kim
Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Daze57

Re: Reproduction fender Question

kim

i can only speak for myself that the fenders at tuckers classic pickup parts seem to be very good
i personnaly know jerry tucker and i remember when he was looking for a company to repop fenders .
he took an entire cab and box to a company overseas
now i am not a big overseas fan at all BUT have seen the quality of the fenders and it seems to be very good - jerry went to great lengths to make sure of a quality product .
now i dont know if any repops are made here in the states (wish they were ) but i dont know .
also you know the quality of steel has changed - it might behoove you to try and find a ''real'' fender in the yards or check to see if any one here is selling one .
good luck - hope this helped a little and you are doing great work on your truck
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
kim

i can only speak for myself that the fenders at tuckers classic pickup parts seem to be very good
i personnaly know jerry tucker and i remember when he was looking for a company to repop fenders .
he took an entire cab and box to a company overseas
now i am not a big overseas fan at all BUT have seen the quality of the fenders and it seems to be very good - jerry went to great lengths to make sure of a quality product .
now i dont know if any repops are made here in the states (wish they were ) but i dont know .
also you know the quality of steel has changed - it might behoove you to try and find a ''real'' fender in the yards or check to see if any one here is selling one .
good luck - hope this helped a little and you are doing great work on your truck
Thanks for the info.
I ended up getting one from Brothers.
I took a good long look at it before the purchase.
Seems to be a real nice piece and seeing as it just bolts to the side fitment shouldn't be a problem.
I couldn't find one close to home and was just really frustrated after all the work I had in the original to have it go south on me. I had worked the metal until it was just too thin to fix properly.
If I had a little more skill at doing compound curves I might have been able to save it.
Kim
Old 10-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Looks like I need to replace one of my rear fenders.
Has any one gotten one of the new repo fenders?
I know they are a little thinner than original.
Is it noticeable?
Kim
No, at least not until you dent it. This isn't just a problem of the repop part being thinner. Steel is MUCH stronger today than it was prior to some point in the '60s. The tensile strength doubled in about '63 and that number has doubled in what is available today.

The shape and look is the same. I worked out some pretty severe dents in my '54 and the metal moved easily. Dents in modern stuff usually result in a sharp kink.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote