The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
lowrodderchev

solid wood bed???

So I was at the local suspension shop and the gentleman working there was saying he had a 55 Chevy and he ran a solid piece of wood with grooves in it instead of individual pieces anyone else done this before? If so they like it no warp issues?
lowrodderchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: solid wood bed???

I did it on my 64 mainly because I actually use the bed for hauling and didn't want to spend the big-bucks for new wood and strips. I used T1-11 which I coated with three coats of marine spar varnish. It's been in the bed now for maybe ten years and I haven't had any warping problems.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
8LUG

Looks great!

1951 Chevy Pickup current project
1990 Chevy Suburban 2500 front D60 king pin and rear 14 Bolt rear with 4.88 gears
8LUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
lowrodderchev

Yeah that does look great can't even till you haul with it
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Speedbumpauto

I did it with 3/4 oak veneer plywood with 1x2's glued and dowled to the sides to make it as wide as the bed and fit under the angle strips. If you make it the total width so it fastens like the original wood, I don't believe you can install it in one piece, at least I couldn't. Ended up cutting it into three peices longitudinally so it could slide in and under the mounting places. Also, you don't need grooves for the bed strips, they actually need washers under the bolts to keep the centers from being sucked down when installed and tightened. I held the washers in place with a dab of clear silicone and it worked well.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
lowrodderchev

I'm raising my bed so I'm skipping the angle strips but still running the cross strips and I'm planning on leaving a small gap between the edge of the wood and bed so in the future if I decide to put a lift to raise the floor the angle strips won't hold me back but I thought why not try a solid wood bed like the suspension guy did
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Speedbumpauto

I raised my bed floor 2" but got my bed sides from Mar K without angle strips and welded them in at the new ht. Without the angle strips, the solid piece would work. You have an interesting idea but I have never seen one at a show or otherwise, so far, that looked truly finished to me. Maybe a very close tolerance fit with a "roman?" edge routed into the lengthwise ends? I'd be very interested in seeing your progress.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
lowrodderchev

I post some pix when I figure what I'll do there was a guy from Italy on the hamb who ran the angle strips but just bolted them to the floor and not the sides and had a floor that raised up but again in still thinking solid piece of wood no slats
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Old Crow

On my F-100(yeah, I know, so sue me), I took a piece of 3/4 exterior plywood, cut it to the dimensions of the stock slats, hit it with a coat of Thompson's Water Seal after I'd drilled all the holes in the side pieces and made all the cuts. I use the truck as a shop truck, and didn't want to risk an engine full of oil falling over on $600 worth of nice oak.
Doesn't look show quality, but it works fine. I've heard of guys using that synthetic decking they use for porches, but that's almost as high as oak.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
47 Fasttoys

On my '46 I used 3/4 oak plywood with stain on it. On top of that I installed 4 lenghts of electrical uni-strut rail, this stopped the bolts from pulling through and gave a good adjustable system for hold down "eye" bolts. I use my truck daily and the bed gets a lot of abuse. The wood only lasts 3 years on average. Not the best looking system but very effective.
Fasttoys.
47 Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
lowrodderchev

Funny this truck started like that a daily driving moving stuff truck but low and behold I'm stripping it down to bare metal putting lots of love into it so I'll be running a nice bed floor but moving only a ice chest and maybe a case of beer
Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Speedbumpauto

I think that's the way lots of us start. Be very careful. "Stark raving mad" is just around the corner.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
lowrodderchev

So much for my original plan there I was calling it a day drinking a beer looking at my truck and a realize my bedsides are bowed so my plan to run the wood flush ain't gonna work ��
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
lowrodderchev

thought I would add a few pix of my dilemma maybe someone has had to deal with the same thing I was thinking I would just add the angle strips and spot weld them in maybe willName:  side view.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  59.5 KB straighten it out
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
lowrodderchev

a few more I check my 2x4 its straight Name:  side view 2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  78.8 KB
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
lowrodderchev

Name:  side view 1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
On my '46 I used 3/4 oak plywood with stain on it. On top of that I installed 4 lenghts of electrical uni-strut rail, this stopped the bolts from pulling through and gave a good adjustable system for hold down "eye" bolts. I use my truck daily and the bed gets a lot of abuse. The wood only lasts 3 years on average. Not the best looking system but very effective.
Fasttoys.
3 years does not seem to long. I had a sheet of exterior plywood over my original holey bed that lasted 12 years in Idaho weather with lots of abuse too. If utility is primary concern you might think about getting some fiberglass (I think) inpregnated marine plywood. Stuff I have seen come in a green color but could be painted. biggest problem I see with solid beds in drainage (assuming they get washed or rained on) and the wood absorbing moisture and warping.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote