The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
FLYNAVY30

Difference between big block and small block motor mount perches???

I just ordered my LS swap kit from BRP Muscle Rods.....

My question is, do I need to order the small block frame perches because it appears that my factory big block has 4 bolts as opposed to the single bolt mounting you can see in this kit.....or do the supplied brackets mount directly to the frame with a single bolt, eliminating the factory perches? Unfortunately the included directions arent terribly precise.

Yes the kit is meant for a half ton truck, but nobody makes an LS kit specifically for the 3/4 tons.

Thanks

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 10-18-2013 at 11:08 AM.
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Difference between big block and small block motor mount perches???

4 bolt holes goes on your engine, the bushing fits into the smaller bracket with a bolt, the single bolt side goes to the frame. I imagine this removes the perches. This is ONLY from seeing random pictures. I didn't use the kit so don't quote me on this one.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
FLYNAVY30

Ok, I appreciate the help....motor comes out on Friday so I'll know for sure then. From looking at pics of everyone else's builds, it looks like the set up I purchased eliminates the perches entirely and bolts directly to the frame.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
FLYNAVY30

having taken the motor out, it looks like I do in fact need the 1/2 perches to bolt the new LS, single bolt mount to. Either that or I can attempt to drill my big block perches to match the mounting hole in the small block pieces, if I can find some measurements as to where to drill the hole....
Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
FLYNAVY30

here is a picture of my big block perches, with the 3 holes as opposed to the small block perches with 1 hole that would mount up to my brackets. I would just get a set of the small block perches, but those only have 3 bolt holes that attach it to the frame, and as you can see, the big block perches have 4.

So at the moment, Im stuck....

Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
tinydb84

What year is your truck? The mount towers with one hole are pre 73 I believe. You can order those and redrill the frame for any missing holes.

Looking at your mounts in the first pic, I would see if you can just drill a hole in the center of your towers and try bolting it up
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
FLYNAVY30

Yea we considered that....just concerned about drilling the hole accurately so everything lines up
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

1/2 , or 3/4, does not matter on the frame stands.... BB/sb/ I 6 is the difference. From what I see, you have a 72 BB truck? I cant really give advice on the stands & mounts that you have....you might talk with the manufacture, as to what stand/position that they fit. 10-30 series, on the 67 -72 trucks, are specific to engine size....in other words, if the mounts you purchased, were meant to fit a sb stand, that is what you need? Be aware that the I 6 /250 stands, set the engine in the rear position....sb stands, in the forward position (3 1/2" C to C difference) between the 2 sets of stands. The BB stands come somewhere in the middle of these to spots, & also mount the engine a tad higher. Hope that helps....any ?, fire em back Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
FLYNAVY30

thanks Long Horn....ended up ordering the CPP mounts that eliminate the frame stands entirely....they should be here this week, we'll see how they work
Old 11-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have been a welder/fab nut , for many yrs....I don't see a 'bolt in swap"? My 5.3 sets in, 1 " forward from I 6 inline spot, & very tight to the firewall. In the mid 90's, she had the firewall clearanced (around the heads), for a BB Olds that set that tight to the rear. Hell on wheels, with a 461 Olds, mild cam, backyard port job & an 800 DP carb, on a Torker intake....but only 6-7 mpg, on a loose verter & low gears, fun but (ouch)! The carberated 5.3 is still running the 6 spd Richmond trans, hooked to a 55 chev bell(7th bolt on the top of the bell). A little "finish up', & she is ready to go....but old rods , are never done....you just add as you go. Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote