The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
aotte1

Gas Tank Condition afer Long Storage?

New to me truck (1986, C10 short bed), trying to determine condition of gas tank after long storage, many years. Thinking of an in-line gas filter w/glass to see if debris/condition of gas going to carb. Or could remove tank to look inside. Will need to look at service manual to see removal process? ( bed needs to be removed?) Thanks for the suggestions.

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
clapage6

Re: Gas Tank Condition afer Long Storage?

it's pain but you should be able to drop the tank without removing the bed.

Was the truck stored outside or inside? was the tank drained before storage? either way safest bet is to drop tank or remove the bed so you can remove sending unit from the tank and take a peak inside.
clapage6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
iehotrod

I agree you should drop your tanks. Remove the sending unit, take a flash light to look inside before you go buy any tanks.

I just had a really bad experience with my local parts warehouse here in Corona. Ca. I have an 86 Silverado that sat outside for a number of years and the last 7 years inside a garage. I purchased two tanks and had my mechanic replace them. Well at east try to. After a couple of hours of labor he went to hook the filler hose and it turns out the tanks are for an older model. They gave me the wrong ones. When I called the warehouse they said well did you look at the invoice it says 73-81. M_F did you hear what I asked you for??? I said I have an 86..... Now I have to eat the time he spent working on my truck.

He and I took a better look inside the old tanks and there were actually clean enough to run. I thought why mess with old gas tank that has been sitting for a number of years.

I be best to spend the time and not the money. You may not need to replace them. You can also run that inline filter for extra precaution. Good luck!
1986 Chevy Silverado Short Bed
2004 Chevy Suburban-wifies ride
iehotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Yeah drop the tank empty it out and look inside it to see what your really working with.Kinda off topic but what part of Louisville you from ?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
New to me truck (1986, C10 short bed), trying to determine condition of gas tank after long storage, many years. Thinking of an in-line gas filter w/glass to see if debris/condition of gas going to carb. Or could remove tank to look inside. Will need to look at service manual to see removal process? ( bed needs to be removed?) Thanks for the suggestions.

Les
We traditionally will try to pump them dry, then put fresh fuel in them, add a clear filter and see what's coming out. You have a 50-50 shot. Do NOT use a glass filter!!! They had a reputation of breaking and burning your vehicle to the ground. Get a clear plastic inline filter from the parts store. In our area the former McDonalds employees that now work at the parts stores cant find them (year, make and model) so we have to know the part number when we go in. 33003 or 33002 depending on hose size.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
donut

Good write up here http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...ic,9294.0.html I usually do what 72freak suggested first. If the tank does get dropped, inspect the sending unit also. I've seen more than one with the top of the sender resembling swiss cheese.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
aotte1

Thanks to everybody for all the help. The truck was stored inside an old barn, not sure if the tank was drained, my guess would be that it was not drained, however, it is dry now. Will not use glass fuel line filter, thanks for the part number.

Looking forward to getting gas tank operational, so that I can take it for its first drive!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
aotte1

Worked on the gas tank today, it is clean inside. Connected the fuel lines to the fuel pump including a temporary fuel filter (the kind recommended) in the supply line and fueled. It started right up. Had my first drive today now that gas tank is working. Short trip around the block, got into second gear. Longer drive tomorrow to continue evaluating. The fuel filter is clean after drive.
Les