The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
track70

Auto to 4 speed swap!!

Ok guys my truck is a 70 C-10 with a 307 and TH350 trans from factory..I'll be swapping it out for a Muncie 4 speed..I have a few questions before i tear into it..If you all can answer some of the questions for me then i would Greatly appreciate it!

1st?- Can i use the stock auto trans crossmember or do i need a crossmember from a 3 or 4 speed manual truck.

2nd?- Does all the stock truck clutch linkages/z-bar work for the swap.

3rd?- What shorty/mid length headers work with the z-bar and linkages without hitting or interfering with other stuff.

4th?- I have a aluminum bellhousing from a car that takes a 10 1/2" clutch..Which clutch and flywheel would you recommend.. (not putting out a lot of HP/TQ)

King's Speed Shop
track70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
haminator

Re: Auto to 4 speed swap!!

I would think the auto trans cross member would work. The truck 3or4 speeds didn't have a cross member except at the bell housing. I would also think the z bar and linkage would work. Not sure if the forks are the same though. Thats about all I got.
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
54belair

I am doing the same swap.

You will need the auto crossmember. You may/will have to relocate it as well as fab. a mount for the trans to use it. (no big deal). You can use the standard truck z bar linkage (but, depending on whether or not you engine is in the stock mount position, you may have to experiment with linkage).
As far as headers go--good luck. I think sanderson still makes a header for a std. trans. I am using ram horns on mine due to the fact that my engine is located in the 6 cyl. location instead of the v8 position.
If you are simply changing trans., then you should have only a small issue with the crossmember.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I just have a question,WHY?If you're going to the trouble to swap,why not go with a 5-6 speed and get OD in the bargain?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I just have a question,WHY?If you're going to the trouble to swap,why not go with a 5-6 speed and get OD in the bargain?
what he said.

I swapped out the original 3-speed for a 4-speed. Just now I swapped in a Tremec. Really kicking myself for ever doing the 4-speed.

I've driven the Tremec a total of 90 miles and I am totally impressed.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
scott-wisc

If you are looking for a bellhousing crossmember, make sure it is for a small block. I have Hedman #69892, they fit well. The Z-bar I'm using is 6.750 long and has a dog leg bend in the pedal side of the lever. I have to relocate the mounting bracket on the frame, but I'll have ample clearance.

If you have the Muncie that whines like an old school bus in reverse, keep it. I love that sound.

Last edited by scott-wisc; 10-20-2013 at 01:19 PM.
scott-wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
track70

Hey Guys thanks for all the info..This is really going to help me out...And I'm doing the 4 speed because I've had it sitting around forever waiting to put it in something! I've been looking at these headers http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/69020/10002/-1 But of course i have no clue if they will fit..They look like they will on just by the way the drivers side sweeps down. Also will the stock clutch fork for ours truck work with my muncie

King's Speed Shop
track70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
bbcmudtruck

I'd like some more info on this as well. I have two spare m20s out in the shop. From the research I've done, I can buy the m22 gears and stuff them in the 20 housing. My truck was a factory auto. Can I just accumulate all the 4 speed stuff from a 67-72 truck to bolt in? Ie, clutch and brake pedal assembly, rods etc.. Also, it will be going behind a bbc. I've heard some pretty bad horror stories about the clutches exploding and going through the cab. What bell housing would be ideal to keep this from happening. I also need to run headers! Will the big block/muncie setup prevent me from doing this?
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote