The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
sambudo

ignition switch

i tried removing the spacer off the ignition switch. all it does is keep spinning. i think it might be stripped. so i can't get apart the spacer and the bezel off the ignition switch assembly.

What do you recommend for replacement parts? Im pretty sure i will need a new ignition switch.. how do you remove the switch from the spacer? do you unplug it? how does it come apart? Thank you.

Upgrades: Power Steering
.......................____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
sambudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
sKnNyPpY

Re: ignition switch

You have to remove the lock tumbler first. Insert the key, turn the lock to the first click, then using a straightened paper clip insert in little hole on face of lock tumbler and push in release tab. Should slide right out.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
sKnNyPpY

When reassembling line up lock tab on back of lock tumbler with new switch and put back together in the dash location. If you reassemble then try to put it in the dash you will have to take it apart again. Learned that one the hard way.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKnNyPpY View Post
You have to remove the lock tumbler first. Insert the key, turn the lock to the first click, then using a straightened paper clip insert in little hole on face of lock tumbler and push in release tab. Should slide right out.
You have the right idea but there is a little more to it.... Here is how it is done.

67's and some 68's don't have an accessory position. Just put the key in the ignition and "gently" turn it as far to the LEFT as it will go. Insert a straightened paper clip in the hole (the large ones work best) and push the release pin down (go easy here, it doesn't take much pressure at all) and turn the cylinder to the left a little more. As you turn the cylinder you have to remove the paper clip or it will bind in the hole. The cylinder should pull out. You should not have to force anything, but you may have to wiggle it a little....

To The OP: Here is a picture of the parts with labels. I think you are mixing up the spacer and bezel. Also be sure and screw the bezel back on before trying to remove the lock cylinder. Be careful, it has very fine threads and it is easy to get it cross threaded...

If you don't have a key try pulling out the passenger side door lock. There should be a code number stamped on it (see picture below for location of code #). A good locksmith should be able to cut you a key from that number. If you can't find a locksmith in your area that can cut a key from the code # PM me.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
sambudo

thank you for this information.

I am still having trouble separating the bezel from the spacer. This spacer was broken it has part of the top broken off. this is all still connected to the assembly. When i bought the truck this assay was zip tied to the dash ad the spacer was broken.. I am trying to get the spacer and bezel off the switch assembly. if i can take these apart i can replace with the after market ones. My ignition still works properly. But i think i might need to replace switch if the threads have been damaged.

Should i be able to separate the bezel and spacer from the switch w/o taking the ignition cylinder out?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
sambudo

Quote:
i tried this and i can't seem to get the lock tumbler to release. any suggestions??

Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
sambudo

Quote:
i tried this and i can't seem to get the lock tumbler to release. any suggestions??

Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambudo View Post

Yes, read my post.... (#4)

LockDoc

-
Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
sambudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Yes, read my post.... (#4)

LockDoc
i did this and it doesn't turn left. i also tried turning it one click. but the ignition cylinder doesn't want to release. i'll keep trying until i get it.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
i did this and it doesn't turn left. i also tried turning it one click. but the ignition cylinder doesn't want to release. i'll keep trying until i get it.

If it doesn't turn left with the key in it that means it doesn't have an accessory position or it is broken. Just insert the paper clip to push the retaining pin in and then it should turn a little to the left. If it does, pull the paper clip out and turn it a little more and it should pull out.. Did you screw the bezel back on?

If you can't turn it to the left with the paper clip in it it will not come out. Turning it to the right will not do anything.

LockDoc

-
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
sambudo

Quote:
If it doesn't turn left with the key in it that means it doesn't have an accessory position or it is broken. Just insert the paper clip to push the retaining pin in and then it should turn a little to the left. If it does, pull the paper clip out and turn it a little more and it should pull out.. Did you screw the bezel back on?

If you can't turn it to the left with the paper clip in it it will not come out. Turning it to the right will not do anything.

LockDoc
I'll try this again tomorrow,can i spray something in it to hop i release better?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I'll try this again tomorrow,can i spray something in it to hop i release better?

Yes, you can spray a little penetrating oil in it.

LockDoc

-
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
sambudo

Loc Doc Thank you! I had success tonight, i got the ignition out and replaced bad parts and assembled in the dash. I appreciate all the help on this one.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
sambudo

Quote:
When reassembling line up lock tab on back of lock tumbler with new switch and put back together in the dash location. If you reassemble then try to put it in the dash you will have to take it apart again. Learned that one the hard way.
I forgot to ask how you take out the passenger door lock?
I need to get keys made for them.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Loc Doc Thank you! I had success tonight, i got the ignition out and replaced bad parts and assembled in the dash. I appreciate all the help on this one.
No problem. Glad you got it out OK...

Quote:
I forgot to ask how you take out the passenger door lock?
I need to get keys made for them.
If none of the locks have been changed the ignition key should fit the doors. All locks for the '67-'72 trucks were keyed the same from the factory. Same deal, spray some penetrating oil in them, insert and remove the key a few times to loosen up the tumblers and try turning the key. If the key doesn't work in either of the doors you will have to remove the pass. side lock. You have to remove the door and window crank/handle, and remove the door panel. There is a flat spring clip that holds the door lock cylinder in place. Spray it, slide it off of the cylinder and pull the door lock cylinder out from the outside. Clean the lock cylinder up and look for the code number.

LockDoc

-
Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
sambudo

Quote:
No problem. Glad you got it out OK...

If none of the locks have been changed the ignition key should fit the doors. All locks for the '67-'72 trucks were keyed the same from the factory. Same deal, spray some penetrating oil in them, insert and remove the key a few times to loosen up the tumblers and try turning the key. If the key doesn't work in either of the doors you will have to remove the pass. side lock. You have to remove the door and window crank/handle, and remove the door panel. There is a flat spring clip that holds the door lock cylinder in place. Spray it, slide it off of the cylinder and pull the door lock cylinder out from the outside. Clean the lock cylinder up and look for the code number.

LockDoc

Ok I am going to try this now and see what happens. I never thought about trying the same keys. If it doesn't work I'll take out the passenger side lock.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
sambudo

LockDoc, it seems that I have two different lock assemblies. What would you recommend? Replace all assemblies with the same cylinders? Seems my ignition switch doesn't have the acc position. Is this the switch or the cylinder, that doesn't allow it to turn into that position?

I have seen LMC trucks offers a key set, original round key verses the square key? Or i can just make another key for the doors with the code. I like having one key for everything.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
LockDoc, it seems that I have two different lock assemblies. What would you recommend? Replace all assemblies with the same cylinders? Seems my ignition switch doesn't have the acc position. Is this the switch or the cylinder, that doesn't allow it to turn into that position?

I have seen LMC trucks offers a key set, original round key verses the square key? Or i can just make another key for the doors with the code. I like having one key for everything.

Whether to replace or not would be your call. If you want everything keyed the same like it originally was then you will have to buy a set. Last I checked there were two suppliers to the vendors, one being made overseas and one being made in Mexico. The ones being made in Mexico are better quality than the ones being made overseas. The set I would buy is "Classic Auto Locks CL 104" with the number 53-480 on the package.

http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.UmaFKsgkzTo

There is no guarantee that they have not changed suppliers...

No accessory position would be a limitation of the switch not the cylinder. If you wanted the accessory position you would have to change out the under dash wire loom as well as the switch.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.