The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Windshield Trim Pic

Anybody know how to get this "even"? When the truck's in the garage, it stays after I push in the corner...More *down* than *in* the groove.

Using tape and gently prying the ss trim against the rain drip rail with a wood lever, I can get it completely level horizontally. After I drive around,
it's obvious that about 2 1/2" of the trim (toward the center) is not completely in the groove.

Pushing down with the lever, pushing down on the corner with my fingers, pushing down on the trim 1 to 1-1/2" away from the corner and toward the center.....
...I pry it. I bang it with the heel of my hand. No permanent "seating" (maybe 2 seconds).

Any tricks? Windshield shop?
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 10-20-2013 at 02:50 PM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
tommys72

Re: Windshield Trim Pic

Windshield man did mine, took him bout 4 tries...he finally used some expoxy, let it dry then put the windshield in as normal...all that to get the trim straight and even

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
magwakeenercew2jh

Ouch! Okay. Thanks, tommys72.

And, thanks for your service.
But always a rat.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Chug

Speaking of windshields!! My inner roof panel on my 69 GMC is totally rotted out, where the rear view mirror goes. The previous owner tried to repair it with silicone. I found the replacement panel at LMC, my dilima is, do I need to remove the windshield to replace that panel, or do I just remove the inside molding?????
Chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Lee H

Is it the optics or is the trim bent near the flash. The only way they fit reasonably well is if the trim is not deformed in any way and a quality gasket is used, and most importantly, the right person puts it in. Those folks are getting harder and harder to find. I got lucky when I called safelite, they said they had a guy that has experience, I was skeptical. He and his assistant installed my windshield with trim in less than 20 minutes. I supplied the windshield, Pilkington, precision gasket, and original trim.

Hate to say it but I think your windshield is going to have to come out to get that corrected. I have also heard here on this forum that some of the cheaper windshields don't have the right curvature and never sit right in the gasket.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Not an expert but just wanted to mention that there are two different trims and rubbers for windshields. Something to do with the tab that fits in the rubber. I believe 67-70 is one style and 71/72 another. Obviously the trim has to match the rubber.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Is it the optics or is the trim bent near the flash. The only way they fit reasonably well is if the trim is not deformed in any way and a quality gasket
is used, and most importantly, the right person puts it in.
Hey, Lee. Thanks for the pointer.

I don't know what optics are, but it's not the windshield...at least I don't think it is. A new windshield, gasket and trim all put in by the "mobile professional". I bought the "best" gasket I could find.
Based upon the Forum folk's recommendations. Don't remember which one. And the trim isn't bent. It fits all the way around except for this corner....So, I'm guessing it's off to see the windshield man.
Hope I can find one as good as yours.

And, Wideside, I was pretty careful when I bought the trim and gasket to get the ones that matched. I think it's an issue of "depth" of the gasket slt and "anchor" on the trim...That is, if I remember
correctly. But I did get the gasket and trim that matched each other...And the '68 cab...although I don't remember the year being the deciding factor rather than the *size* and *fit* of the gasket
to the trim......

Thanks for that heads-up, too.
But always a rat.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
tommys72

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Ouch! Okay. Thanks, tommys72.

And, thanks for your service.
Only the first one was on me, the rest was on them...they didnt make any money on me haha...and thank you

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
elf w/capital T

Only heard of good things from gmcpauls seals, so... the guys i know...never had that problem....maybe the seal isnt the right one? Or possibly get it where you want it...and use some epoxy.... meh....but it works!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
BIG69GMC

Hey Mag,

Have you tried that corner piece on the driverside? it looks to me like that corner piece doesnt look right for the passenger side or its bent??
BIG69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
leddzepp

Precision gasket and use 67-70 OEM trim. It seats deeper in the gasket and also "hooks" onto the windshield and will not pop out. You also need a good installer as Lee pointed out.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Anybody know how to get this "even"? When the truck's in the garage, it stays after I push in the corner...More *down* than *in* the groove.

Using tape and gently prying the ss trim against the rain drip rail with a wood lever, I can get it completely level horizontally. After I drive around,
it's obvious that about 2 1/2" of the trim (toward the center) is not completely in the groove.

Pushing down with the lever, pushing down on the corner with my fingers, pushing down on the trim 1 to 1-1/2" away from the corner and toward the center.....
...I pry it. I bang it with the heel of my hand. No permanent "seating" (maybe 2 seconds).

Hay Mag,

We made this video for our windshield weatherstrip due to people having issues with the install. Maybe it will help!
http://youtu.be/SOU_0HpS7To

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

If there is an area that the trim is not completely seated in the groove you may have to remove the windshield to get it back in. (at least push it out at the top) If the glass guy has a small tool with a hook on the end of it he may be able to work the trim back in...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Parts View Post
Hay Mag,

We made this video for our windshield weatherstrip due to people having issues with the install. Maybe it will help!
http://youtu.be/SOU_0HpS7To
Thanks, much.

That was good breakfast "watching".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
If there is an area that the trim is not completely seated in the groove you may have to remove
the windshield to get it back in. (at least push it out at the top) If the glass guy has a small tool with a hook on the end of it
he may be able to work the trim back in...
LockDoc
Thanks, LocDoc.
I guess it's off to the glass guy.

I know in the mountains (where I live) there's this requisite that anybody that makes
his/her living out of a tool box must wield ham-like forearms with force... instead
of with finesse. Naturally, I have no problem with that. Unless it's on my windshield. Ha!!!

Anybody know a good guy in the Fresno/Central Cal area?

Even though I have a "new" Precision gasket and new trim in there, do you think I need to
go to the windshield guy armed with brand new stuff?

And how about the installer who says,
"...By the way, we're not guaranteeing that the windshield will not get broken when we take it out"?
But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 10-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
magwakeenercew2jh

Here are some dusty pics of the flaws and the places where the trim fits. (Sorry about the dust...I should'a cleaned up a bit before I snapped the pics...)

Is there *any* chance this is the wrong trim? It seems to fit all the way around *except* in the upper corners.

And, when the original installer left, it looked better. But, after one or two 50 mile trips, here's what it looks like now.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
WIDESIDE72

I dont think you are going to get much better fit. The corner pieces do not have a a piece that fits down it the groove like the other pieces do. All that holds them on is the slip fit onto the ends.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I dont think you are going to get much better fit. The corner pieces do not have a a piece that fits down it the groove like the other pieces do. All that holds them on is the slip fit onto the ends.
I was hoping for a better fit than this (this is pre-paint...but what the trim looks like against the flat-black background.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideside72 View Post
i dont think you are going to get much better fit.
x2

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
Lee H

Based on the picture in post 17, I would not be satisfied with the fit and finish either. Looks like the trim is not seated in the gasket and looks like the gasket is not seated on the channel correctly in the corners. In this situation (fresh paint, etc) I would be procuring a new gasket and trim set, probably 67-70, and redo it. If it was OK at installation and then pushed out, something is wrong with one or more of the four components. Windshield, gasket, trim, channel. Also, as it's not fitting correctly, chances or it will be leaky.

Do you have an OEM or after market windshield, I've read some of the after market windshields do not have the same curvature as the originals or the "good" aftermarket ones, sorry if you have already stated this.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Based on the picture in post 17, I would not be satisfied with the fit and finish either. Looks like the trim is not seated in the gasket and looks like the gasket is not seated on the channel correctly in the corners. In this situation (fresh paint, etc) I would be procuring a new gasket and trim set, probably 67-70, and redo it. If it was OK at installation and then pushed out, something is wrong with one or more of the four components. Windshield, gasket, trim, channel. Also, as it's not fitting correctly, chances or it will be leaky.

Do you have an OEM or after market windshield, I've read some of the after market windshields do not have the same curvature as the originals or the "good" aftermarket ones, sorry if you have already stated this.
It's an "aftermarket" windshield. It was the only part the mobile Glass Man brought with him. You think new gasket AND trim, huh? Boy, I'd really like to spare the cost of new trim. Was that suggestion to assure the trim fit in the gasket, or due to the possibility of the trim being bent?

Thanks for the comments and tips.
But always a rat.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
C/10 King

M-17, I believe I have an extra complete trim, let me check the condition and you can have it for $0. my friend.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
Lee H

Quote:
It's an "aftermarket" windshield. It was the only part the mobile Glass Man brought with him. You think new gasket AND trim, huh? Boy, I'd really like to spare the cost of new trim. Was that suggestion to assure the trim fit in the gasket, or due to the possibility of the trim being bent?

Thanks for the comments and tips.
Only thinking that to get to the earlier (67-70) style deep lipped trim. You need to do what's best for you.

What brand of windshield? It should say in the lower right.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
M-17, I believe I have an extra complete trim, let me check the condition and you can have it for $0. my friend.
Its things like this that make this the best forum on the interweb!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
C/10 King

Trim parts found, cleaned and waiting for the new owner!!!!
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Beautiful, R. Road trip to At Water. If you'll be there, I'm on my way next Wed. You are The Man.

Thanks much.
But always a rat.