The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
TNBandit

CPP tubular engine & trans crossmembers

Got the engine crossmember the other day & the trans crossmember is on its way. No instructions with the one for the engine and the only thing I found on their website shows it being used to put a Chevy SB in a Ford truck. I am building a 56 TF truck. Searching on here I found a couple posts where guys reported having issues with it coming in contact with the front axle on hard bumps. So messing with it I see that it can be turned around so it either has the drop section facing forward (which puts it above the front axle) or it can have the drop to the rear which gives plenty of room as they did in the video using it on a Ford. I have tried it both ways on the empty engine I'm using to do my mock up stuff and it easily clears the oil pan either way. Second question has to do with the end caps for the engine crossmember. They can be mounted 2 ways. With them having the longest part of the rectangular flange laying on the frame or stood on end. Which way I mount them has the effect of raising or lowering the engine about an inch. CPP tech support was ZERO help. They basically told me it's a universal kit and that I can mount it anyway I want to. That's all fine and I used to build racecars & this ain't my first rodeo so I'm perfectly capable. Just want feedback from guys who have been here & done it. When the trans crossmember arrives my plan is to position both mounts prior to removing the cab so I can make sure I have clearance for the distributor. I also plan to upgrade the brakes with an under the cab power booster & master cylinder. So... Who has done this swap using BOTH these parts and what tips can you give me ? The search feature here leaves alot to be desired and when I do try to find old threads about this I come up with all kinds of useless info concerning much newer trucks that have a totally different set of potential problems. Pics to show what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by TNBandit; 10-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.
TNBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: CPP tubular engine & trans crossmembers

Look at the tubular mount from the side the area where the motor mount attaches to small tubes should have a slight angle pointing down ward, that faces rear of frame. Then mount on engine next leave the the ends loose and set up the motor with distributor enough room that you can remove it from block and enough room so you can turn the dist by hand. The ends can actually be welded either way thats up to you as long as the motor clears your cross steering shaft, tie rods. I put a bubble level on carb mounting surface to insure the motor is level. Hope this helps.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Rude Dude

There is a good picture of that type mount on this thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=599952
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
TNBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
There is a good picture of that type mount on this thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=599952
Great pics. Thanks ! That shows the crossmember with the "dip" facing to the rear the way I will probably install mine. However it can go either way and in almost all the cases where it was installed with the dip towards the front guys mentioned having problems with it coming too close to the front axle. This of course, is only on those trucks that kept the stock axle. Very helpful.
TNBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
mr48chev

That's a problem you run into with something that is "universal" sometimes you have to ponder and figure out just how to make it work the best. I think they don't give much in the way of instructions simply because those crossmembers are used in so many different applications. The last one I did was in a 56 Dodge pickup that I pulled a Desoto Hemi out of (tired but it's in my milkhouse) and put a mid 70's 350 in. That worked out pretty well and saved a lot of fabricating.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
G&R's57GMC

Hang your engine and trans on your hoist,

hover it in the engine bay,

mount the cross members to the engine and trans,

find the best location,

Level Side to side and front to rear using the manifold carb mounting surface,

bolt to chassis, Tack weld the cross members to the end parts,

remove engine,

finish weld the pieces .

E Z Pee Zee

This assumes the cab is in place. Don't be surprised if the trans mount is below the frame rail.
BTW the driveshaft will need to clear the next factory cross member through in its range of motion.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 10-23-2013 at 09:27 PM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote